Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I will be coming to UK from abroad and I know the closest airport is in Birmingham but the tickets are very pricy now. However if I choose to land on London-Gatwick and pass to national express to come Coventry, it saves my money up to 50% overall. But my flight will land at 13.00 and there will be passport-visa control lines, luggage waiting etc. If I take the bus to Coventry, I will probably arrive there at around 20.00. I havent decided what to do so any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Flying to Birmingham is more convenient and would mean a £30-40 taxi to the campus or a train (to Coventry) followed by a £10-12 taxi ride.

Flying to Gatwick and then getting yourself to Coventry is a bit more of a nuisance but fairly straightforward. If you take the coach then it will drop you at Pool Meadow Bus Station in the centre of Coventry. This isn't the nicest area in the world (particularly in the evening) so don't let it colour your "Welcome to Warwick" experience. There is a taxi rank at Pool Meadow so you should be able to go straight from there to the campus (£10-15).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    Flying to Birmingham is more convenient and would mean a £30-40 taxi to the campus or a train (to Coventry) followed by a £10-12 taxi ride.

Flying to Gatwick and then getting yourself to Coventry is a bit more of a nuisance but fairly straightforward. If you take the coach then it will drop you at Pool Meadow Bus Station in the centre of Coventry. This isn't the nicest area in the world (particularly in the evening) so don't let it colour your "Welcome to Warwick" experience. There is a taxi rank at Pool Meadow so you should be able to go straight from there to the campus (£10-15).
    Thank yoı for the reply. So you're saying that Pool meadow is not safe in the evening? Because that will be my main bus station for the whole year and I am a bit concerned now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ggkaya)
    Thank yoı for the reply. So you're saying that Pool meadow is not safe in the evening? Because that will be my main bus station for the whole year and I am a bit concerned now
    What do you mean your main bus station? Will you be staying in Coventry?
    I wouldn't say its unsafe but at night, I would definitely hold on to my bag very tightly. I've had to navigate my way into the town at night a couple of times and lets just say I had a couple colourful experiences doing so. Just keep to main well lit roads, don't go down allies. Same advice you'd get in any city.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I will be coming to UK from abroad and I know the closest airport is in Birmingham but the tickets are very pricy now. However if I choose to land on London-Gatwick and pass to national express to come Coventry, it saves my money up to 50% overall. But my flight will land at 13.00 and there will be passport-visa control lines, luggage waiting etc. If I take the bus to Coventry, I will probably arrive there at around 20.00. I havent decided what to do so any suggestions?
    Potentially more hassle but the megabus goes straight to the campus instead of having to go through Coventry at night. The route you would have to take is the gatwick express from gatwick to Victoria which is direct then walk to the coach station and take the megabus straight to campus. Hope that gives you an idea of other options

ReputationRep:
    Where are you planning to live? I'm not sure that there is much accommodation near the bus station - it is mostly shops, hospital buildings, etc. Are you going to be a new Warwick student and, if so, won't you be living on campus for the first year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    Where are you planning to live? I'm not sure that there is much accommodation near the bus station - it is mostly shops, hospital buildings, etc. Are you going to be a new Warwick student and, if so, won't you be living on campus for the first year?

I'll be staying in study inn. I am a post graduate student- fresher in uk and warwick

ReputationRep:
    Okay - I hadn't seen this organisation before. Just out of curiosity, why not arrange accommodation on the campus through Warwick? It's not that central Coventry is necessarily dangerous - it's just not exactly one of the UKs most beautiful cities.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm also going to Warwick and have actually lived in Coventry all my life. Pool Meadow is fine - just is a bit run down. A typical bus station really. Don't worry :-)

ReputationRep:
    Coventry isn't as awful as people make out, so don't worry at all. Pool Meadow is absolutely fine, I've never had any problems there or anywhere else in the city centre day or night. Just need a common sense approach to safety like in any city and you'll be fine.

Birmingham airport would be more straightforward, but if it's going to save you a lot of money it's still quite straightforward flying into Gatwick and getting the coach, it'll only take 2 - 2.5 hours on the coach from London to Coventry :-)

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.