Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone ever had an A Level English Literature Remark change drastically? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi !
    I am really annoyed with getting a B in one A Level exam...I thought it went well and in the mock I received 83% yet with loads of revising got 77% in the exam! I need 13 marks, has anyone ever went up this much? I'm not sure if it's possible but I just think it is an odd grade..
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Im in the same boat as you mate . Edexcel is my exam board for Lit. In last years exam i received full marks even though I feel I performed **** in that exam - never even revised in my spare time, in this years A2 exam I actually tried hard, revised and ensured I did the best I possibly could, only to come out with a C, but 1 raw mark off a B, which I still contest because well and truely I think I done more then enough to get an A. Overall I got a B but I requested a remark last week and had to pay out my own pocket for it, but they did say if the grade goes up I will see that refunded.I came out overall with an A*AAB... my firm choice UOB rejected me even though I went through the A2B scheme which needed me to get ABC, but a minimum of an A in English to study pure Lit there, Warwick (I put them as my insurance despite them having higher grade requirements) with an entry requirement of 3A's accepted me for Lit and they too had the same terms as UOB in that I had to get A in Lit for me to get in, yet they accepted me :L. Warwick is ranked higher overall and for Lit on the league tables, so I am a bit confused at what thuf all of these uni admissions tutors are on xD. UOB especially have mindf*ked me as even in their A2B module for Lit I received a level 5 which is the highest band, yet they still rejected me. Can't complain though, I actually wanted to go Warwick over Birmingham and I guess it sorted itself out aha.Okay I just realised I waffled my life to you :L but long story short I think you should go for a remark too mate... Im 4 UMS off an A overall so fingers crossed the examiner will feel generous lol. One thing I've learnt though, is that Alevels are Bas*****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaf6565)
    Im in the same boat as you mate . Edexcel is my exam board for Lit. In last years exam i received full marks even though I feel I performed **** in that exam - never even revised in my spare time, in this years A2 exam I actually tried hard, revised and ensured I did the best I possibly could, only to come out with a C, but 1 raw mark off a B, which I still contest because well and truely I think I done more then enough to get an A. Overall I got a B but I requested a remark last week and had to pay out my own pocket for it, but they did say if the grade goes up I will see that refunded.I came out overall with an A*AAB... my firm choice UOB rejected me even though I went through the A2B scheme which needed me to get ABC, but a minimum of an A in English to study pure Lit there, Warwick (I put them as my insurance despite them having higher grade requirements) with an entry requirement of 3A's accepted me for Lit and they too had the same terms as UOB in that I had to get A in Lit for me to get in, yet they accepted me :L. Warwick is ranked higher overall and for Lit on the league tables, so I am a bit confused at what thuf all of these uni admissions tutors are on xD. UOB especially have mindf*ked me as even in their A2B module for Lit I received a level 5 which is the highest band, yet they still rejected me. Can't complain though, I actually wanted to go Warwick over Birmingham and I guess it sorted itself out aha.Okay I just realised I waffled my life to you :L but long story short I think you should go for a remark too mate... Im 4 UMS off an A overall so fingers crossed the examiner will feel generous lol. One thing I've learnt though, is that Alevels are Bas*****
    Thank you so much for replying!! That sounds so so similar to me! I've asked for my script back and at this point I'm just anxious incase I get the script back and I realize I've wrote at a lower standard than I thought! Thing is that compared to other exams which I got 15 marks of so more in, I honestly don't think this one was a different standard. The essay Qu was quite nice as well. Though like yourself, I genuinely thought that considering all the work I'd put in, I should have done more than enough for band 4/5! Did you talk to your teacher? I can't seem to get hold of mine, so I'm not too sure what to do. The weird thing is that this module is apparently loads more reasonable in terms of difficulty compared to my other lit module which was over 10 marks higher than this one was marked at. You did absolutely fantastic in your results though so massive well done!!! I get the feeling though when you've worked so hard for all your subjects and one grade just totally brings it down. It's frustrating. Yeah, you're right about it working out. I'm seriously hoping this is a case of "everything happens for a reason" with us. I got into my firm any way though so it didn't actually affect it like in your case which seems odd and really picky. In that way I feel really out of order / proud asking for advice on a remark but I just don't think the score is reflective of what I wrote in the exam so I feel like taking a chance on it!! Still though, I haven't heard of anyone going up a full 13 marks in a remark but I feel I'll regret it if I don't go for it. I would love to get my exam back and realize it was some sort of clerical error yet I doubt that... sorry, realize that I'm ranting to you!!! I have definitely learnt that as well :L a serious amount of work goes into these exams and I honestly don't know if it's all worth it. Thank you for your advice...think I will go for the remark even though I feel a bit greedy doing it. But you've got to go with your instincts!! Praying we get really generous remarkers !!

ReputationRep:
    Mistakes happen all the time, but even if it comes back unchanged, don't knock yourself because only you know your true potential... English is so subjective when it comes to marking thats why its so hard to tell, ive had other papers such as sociology remarked in the past and obviously these have fixed answers so you know if you're plainly wrong or right, English is just interpretation and some examiners are just too stoosh to appreciate it sometimes i guess lol, but your spot on about one bad grade ruining your whole mood about results, I guess its just a thing in your head knowing that you worked too hard for it to be that way, i get it too... Its brilliant you got into your firm!
    do let me know about what happens when you get it back and also would it be alright to have a look at your script once you get it back to just compare answers? I know I know im a geek like that😩🐤🐥

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceConfusion)
    Hi !
    I am really annoyed with getting a B in one A Level exam...I thought it went well and in the mock I received 83% yet with loads of revising got 77% in the exam! I need 13 marks, has anyone ever went up this much? I'm not sure if it's possible but I just think it is an odd grade..
    Thank you!
    If you're on OCR the difference is gonna be due to the boundaries, seeing as 80UMS is 90% in raw marks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2015

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.