alexp98
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/undergrad...g-courses.aspx

DO all the requirements on this list mean the actual points you need to get in the course or is it just the minimum. For example, I want to do Accounting and Finance (Not for this year for next at DMU) and it states 240 points. Does that mean they will let me in if i got this for this year?
Or is this a minimum and they really want around 260? WOuld even appreciate if someone could call this number and ask for me as I'm applying for 2016 so don't have the ucas number yet.
migh_and_highty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Believe me, if you got what they asked for, youre in. 240 is fine
alexp98
Rep:
?
(Original post by migh_and_highty)
Believe me, if you got what they asked for, youre in. 240 is fine
Thanks so much, made me feel a lot more confident now during mu A2. I know im not the brightest so want to go to dmu which is still respectable and I felt like home so am going all out to go to dmu for accounting and finance
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alexp98)
http://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/undergrad...g-courses.aspx

DO all the requirements on this list mean the actual points you need to get in the course or is it just the minimum. For example, I want to do Accounting and Finance (Not for this year for next at DMU) and it states 240 points. Does that mean they will let me in if i got this for this year?
Or is this a minimum and they really want around 260? WOuld even appreciate if someone could call this number and ask for me as I'm applying for 2016 so don't have the ucas number yet.
Hi there,

I can speak with experience because I applied to DMU via clearing 2 years ago.

The amount of UCAS points they are stating are the minimum that you need to get in - if you get the amount of UCAS points that the course requires (or greater), you're in.

I got in to Electronic Eng. with 260 UCAS points, including an AS in BTEC ICT.

Hope that helps.

edit: Looks like they have dropped their requirements since I applied 2 years ago. I needed 240 UCAS points, the minimum now is 200 UCAS. Hope you manage to get in to DMU
alexp98
Rep:
?
(Original post by spotify95)
Hi there,

I can speak with experience because I applied to DMU via clearing 2 years ago.

The amount of UCAS points they are stating are the minimum that you need to get in - if you get the amount of UCAS points that the course requires (or greater), you're in.

I got in to Electronic Eng. with 260 UCAS points, including an AS in BTEC ICT.

Hope that helps.

edit: Looks like they have dropped their requirements since I applied 2 years ago. I needed 240 UCAS points, the minimum now is 200 UCAS. Hope you manage to get in to DMU
Thanks so much for the help, so what if I actually apply to dmu for first choice, am I likely to get accepted if I get what the clearing list is asking?
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks so much for the help, so what if I actually apply to dmu for first choice, am I likely to get accepted if I get what the clearing list is asking?
Tbh I wouldn't know because I didn't see the official requirements before I applied via Clearing. If you are able to get hold of the official entry requirements for (say) next year, not in Clearing, you'll be fine. Or alternatively you could look on UCAS to see if they have the requirements on there?

Edit: I have looked on UCAS and they want 300 UCAS points:
http://search.ucas.com/course/entryr...rsedetailsmenu

Alternatively, you can look for other courses from UCAS search here:
http://search.ucas.com/
So long as you choose 2016 then you'll be fine.

Hope that helps.
alexp98
Rep:
?
Tbh I wouldn't know because I didn't see the official requirements before I applied via Clearing. If you are able to get hold of the official entry requirements for (say) next year, not in Clearing, you'll be fine. Or alternatively you could look on UCAS to see if they have the requirements on there?

Edit: I have looked on UCAS and they want 300 UCAS points:
http://search.ucas.com/course/entryr...rsedetailsmenu

Alternatively, you can look for other courses from UCAS search here:
http://search.ucas.com/
So long as you choose 2016 then you'll be fine.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. I know I will fall short of that 300 so hope they will accept around 260 points
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks. I know I will fall short of that 300 so hope they will accept around 260 points
You could still have it as one of your options though, as you are allowed to apply to up to 5 different courses/universities through UCAS, then firm and insurance the two that you want to go to the most. And even if you don't manage to get the required UCAS points/grades, there is still a chance that the universities will accept you.

Or you could apply to DMU via Clearing if they then decide to drop the requirements, like they did this year. You've still got plenty of options. :yy:

Let me know how it all goes in the end, if you need any advice I'll be around
alexp98
Rep:
?
You could still have it as one of your options though, as you are allowed to apply to up to 5 different courses/universities through UCAS, then firm and insurance the two that you want to go to the most. And even if you don't manage to get the required UCAS points/grades, there is still a chance that the universities will accept you.

Or you could apply to DMU via Clearing if they then decide to drop the requirements, like they did this year. You've still got plenty of options. :yy:

Let me know how it all goes in the end, if you need any advice I'll be around
Yeah thanks for all the help, tbh if if they drop it like they have atm it should all be fine. I've heard if you firm then they normally accpet 40 points lower than the original 300 too Anyway how is the Uni generally, are you enjoying it?
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah thanks for all the help, tbh if if they drop it like they have atm it should all be fine. I've heard if you firm then they normally accept 40 points lower than the original 300 too Anyway how is the Uni generally, are you enjoying it?
I wouldn't know about the dropping of their UCAS tariff because I applied through Clearing, so wouldn't have known what their official tariff was. All I do know was that I needed 240 UCAS points, and got 260 points including the AS ICT.

The Uni is pretty good, they've got good facilities and I am really enjoying the course (Electronic Eng.) that I am doing. Would thoroughly recommend DMU as a university.
_catt_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As someone who's starting DMU this year to study Finance at the business school I can tell you that they're not too fussy or so I think. The requirement for my subject was 280 UCAS points however I put it as my backup and missed my firm and still managed to get in with 260 including AS or 220 if you exclude AS. Also they do send out a letter sometimes saying that if you firm your offer will go unconditional. This happened to me though I didn't take them up on this and I had CCCD in my AS. From what I've heard and seen of the business school it appears that the courses take on a lot of people so they have lots of space to fill. Plus at this point in time they are still in clearing so if this is the case in future years they might be more loose on grades. Also even if you don't get in on applying and then go through clearing they are more likely to accept you over another candidate with the same grades as they already have information on you from your previous application and personal statement so they actually know what they're getting if you get me! Good Luck!
alexp98
Rep:
?
(Original post by _catt_)
As someone who's starting DMU this year to study Finance at the business school I can tell you that they're not too fussy or so I think. The requirement for my subject was 280 UCAS points however I put it as my backup and missed my firm and still managed to get in with 260 including AS or 220 if you exclude AS. Also they do send out a letter sometimes saying that if you firm your offer will go unconditional. This happened to me though I didn't take them up on this and I had CCCD in my AS. From what I've heard and seen of the business school it appears that the courses take on a lot of people so they have lots of space to fill. Plus at this point in time they are still in clearing so if this is the case in future years they might be more loose on grades. Also even if you don't get in on applying and then go through clearing they are more likely to accept you over another candidate with the same grades as they already have information on you from your previous application and personal statement so they actually know what they're getting if you get me! Good Luck!
Agreed this was so much help. Enjoying your course? Yeah i heard especially for the finance related the lecture rooms are huge and they just film them up now due to the government reducing the cap. Yeah I want to firm them too. I'm just worried as the entry is 300 ucas points and I think i'll get around 260. Hmm How many points do you think i need to be predicted to get an unconditional offer if i firm them? I think i should be predicted 310 ucas points and match all the other requirements with a solid PS. Would this be enough or do you think i need a bit more ucas points? If you don't know I would appreciate it so much if you could help me find out when you get to Uni. This is the only place I want to go and while I should b getting in i just want to be confident so i can concentrate.
DMU Enquiry Team
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Alex,

Just to let you know that the UCAS tariff points are changing so if you're looking for further information for the new point system for next year, let us know and we'll be happy to provide you with more information about that.

You can apply for Accounting and Finance this year through clearing we're currently looking for 260 UCAS points for Accounting and Finance, so if you give us a call on 0116 257 7000 with your qualifications and your UCAS personal ID number we'll see if we can sign you up for the course!

We're dedicated to helping all students find a course with ourselves, whether they've applied for us before or during clearing.

Some good things to know about us is that we're one of the top 3 universities for teaching excellence, we're the sixth fastest growing university in the UK and we're currently spending £136m on renovating our campus to provide a better space for our students.

For more updates and information, follow us on Twitter (@dmuleicester) and if you have anymore questions, tweet us at @dmuenquiry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (2)
33.33%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (0)
0%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (1)
16.67%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (2)
33.33%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (0)
0%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (1)
16.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise