The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Wilfred Little
If there was do you not think people would have posted it by now? I mean there was one poster but does he really come across as someone you'd want to listen to? 99% of the posts are just people saying "it's a ****hole" with very little else to say and the vast majority haven't been to Birmingham either. There was a lad on here a while back, think the thread was 'Worst places in the UK' and I kid you not, he posted "Birmingham, but I have no idea why".

When you come here for yourself and you find out all of this is nonsense, come back and bump the thread.

A great post about 'the ethnics' above too, proving my point.

I've read stuff from people (not on here) who've lived in Selly Oak which is the main area where people at the uni move into after first year and out of maybe 15 experiences I've heard about, only 3 or so people had lots of good things to say about Birmingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The amount of people being overly dramatic about Birmingham in this thread is hilarious. No, Birmingham is not a sprawling utopia of inescapable wonder, but neither is it the completely run-down pit of despair that so many people here seem to want to portray it as. Avoid the ****ty areas and it's great, Manchester and London both suffer from the exact same issues if you end up in a crappy part of it.
Original post by goodwinning
I've read stuff from people (not on here) who've lived in Selly Oak which is the main area where people at the uni move into after first year and out of maybe 15 experiences I've heard about, only 3 or so people had lots of good things to say about Birmingham.

Just go there for yourself.

I'd say that's the opposite to me, I know plenty who came here thinking it would be ****, loved it then ended up staying after uni.
You can find some surprisingly nice places in the '****ty areas' though.
(I moved to Lewisham last June and love it)
Original post by goodwinning
I'm going to Birmingham this September and I've got to admit, reading about how so many people are so vehemently against Birmingham is alarming. Surely people wouldn't have such strong opinions if there wasn't anything at all to substantiate it? I mean, I've heard about people calling Leeds or Manchester a ****hole but never this strongly. Is it really that bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have lived in Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds and London.

Birmingham is the safest of those cities in my experience, and, other than London, the most ethnically mixed (Leeds and Bristol are very racially segregated, the races don't mingle at all).

On top of that, there are loads going on, always new and exciting things to see and do popping up, and a real community spirit if you venture out the student bubble.

Sure, it has it's downsides, the nightlife is somewhat limited (Broad St is a total dump) compared to a number of other cities and the public transport system is pretty crap if you don't live on the 50 bus route (<3), although that should get better once the tram system is built. Because of the fact it got bombed to **** in the war the architecture can also leave a lot to be desired in places. It isn't near any national parks, so if that is your thing then you probably picked a dud.

Other than that it beats the other cities I have lived in hands down.
Most people who dislike Birmingham actually just dislike Asians and/or normal working class Brits.

That's not to say it doesn't have a few issues: why does the UK's 2nd city have no proper tram or tube system for example? That's just embarrassing.

The people are very friendly though, much more so than southerners.
Original post by cacra
Plus, a group of Muslims who go around attempting to enforce Sharia Law...

But yeah, diversity is great...

If you actually believe this, you're pretty thick
Reply 67
Original post by t.s.r.
I've noticed that in this forum the city of Birmingham has a really bad reputation compared to the other cities in the UK

Surprising really, considering cities such as London and Manchester (and much of the North West actually) experience higher levels of crime in comparison.

Cities usually get their negative rep from overhyped media bull**** and uninformed people jumping on board with it, as oppose to from the experiences of people who have actually lived there/visit regularly. So as a general rule, ignore it until you're able to make your own judgement.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm going to Birmingham this September to study at Aston, and I'm quite scared now. Is there a lot of crime?
Original post by cole-slaw
Most people who dislike Birmingham actually just dislike Asians and/or normal working class Brits.

That's not to say it doesn't have a few issues: why does the UK's 2nd city have no proper tram or tube system for example? That's just embarrassing.

The people are very friendly though, much more so than southerners.

They're literally building a tram as we speak, fyi :smile:
Original post by daisychain_
I'm going to Birmingham this September to study at Aston, and I'm quite scared now. Is there a lot of crime?

In short, no.

Spoiler

Original post by daisychain_

No, people in this thread are being overdramatic.
Original post by redferry
They're literally building a tram as we speak, fyi :smile:

Still, its going to be decades before there is anything like a comprehensive system. Most of its not going to be done until 2021 and even then, its doesn't go to most places.

Nottingham, Newcastle, Sheffield, Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool, all have decent tram/underground systems.
Original post by cole-slaw
Still, its going to be decades before there is anything like a comprehensive system. Most of its not going to be done until 2021 and even then, its doesn't go to most places.

Nottingham, Newcastle, Sheffield, Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool, all have decent tram/underground systems.

The new st - snow hill part will be open around December-January I believe.

The extension to Digbeth and the HS2 station + NEC/airport will be a while longer, but that is better than here in Lewisham where we will get the Bakerloo extension 'within the next 40 years'...

Given how much debt the conservatives saddled the council with, it always amazed me that anything gets done at all!

What tram does go 'most places'? Birminghams shopping centre is in the centre, it's not like Sheffield where they had to link it to Meadowhall.
Original post by redferry
The new st - snow hill part will be open around December-January I believe.

The extension to Digbeth and the HS2 station + NEC/airport will be a while longer, but that is better than here in Lewisham where we will get the Bakerloo extension 'within the next 40 years'...

Given how much debt the conservatives saddled the council with, it always amazed me that anything gets done at all!

What tram does go 'most places'? Birminghams shopping centre is in the centre, it's not like Sheffield where they had to link it to Meadowhall.

Love the 40 year promise on the Bakerloo extension. By the time we are pensioners... :lol:

I literally can't stand the glacial pace at which Britain's public transport networks are improved. I know that London allegedly gets all the money, but if you travel regularly in London, you will know how shockingly overcrowded, slow and unreliable it is on almost all lines. Many of the stations are hopeless, they are crumbling antiques with zero comfort levels, massive congestion and lack of proper numbers of barriers, lifts, toilets and other amenities taken for granted in many civilised countries.

Bus and train services nationally are equally deplorable in many areas.

The country is crying out for new investment in these areas - we should be re-opening many more railway lines, building new ones, adding dedicated cycle ways with the proper width and separation from all traffic crossings, we should be building new stations and creating faster railways with electrification.

So much to do and our government, long since sold out to big car and oil interests, sleeps on the job. Their sole contribution since gaining office has been to stop all of the schemes previously planned, apart from Crossrail, which they could not stop as it was being actually built.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Love the 40 year promise on the Bakerloo extension. By the time we are pensioners... :lol:

I literally can't stand the glacial pace at which Britain's public transport networks are improved. I know that London allegedly gets all the money, but if you travel regularly in London, you will know how shockingly overcrowded, slow and unreliable it is on almost all lines. Many of the stations are hopeless, they are crumbling antiques with zero comfort levels, massive congestion and lack of proper numbers of barriers, lifts, toilets and other amenities taken for granted in many civilised countries.

Bus and train services nationally are equally deplorable in many areas.

The country is crying out for new investment in these areas - we should be re-opening many more railway lines, building new ones, adding dedicated cycle ways with the proper width and separation from all traffic crossings, we should be building new stations and creating faster railways with electrification.

So much to do and our government, long since sold out to big car and oil interests, sleeps on the job. Their sole contribution since gaining office has been to stop all of the schemes previously planned, apart from Crossrail, which they could not stop as it was being actually built.

To be perfectly honest I think the transport in London is great. The people who moan about it generally haven't spent much time using public transport elsewhere!

I mean at least London has stations in the vast majority of places, unlike most of Birmingham/90% of rural areas...

There's been a campaign to reopen the station near my parents for years, instead they just put on more and more busses.
Reply 76
Original post by t.s.r.
Hi,

I'm not from England and this September I'll be studying at the University of Birmingham and I've noticed that in this forum the city of Birmingham has a really bad reputation compared to the other cities in the UK.

Can anyone tell me why that is? I honestly have no idea...

Thanks xD

Because it's a dump and minorities are a majority there
Original post by Wilfred Little
Ignore this forum, it's a bandwagon. As someone else has pointed out I firmly believe part of it is down to it's multiculturalism. There is quite a lot here and lots of stuff opening this year too.

Once you arrive here you'll love it. Got PMs from members from abroad who are here studying and they love it here.

Can't be arsed to make a longer post than this, I've defended Brum enough times, it'll be nothing I haven't already said about fifty times on here already.

Original post by t.s.r.
Hi,

I'm not from England and this September I'll be studying at the University of Birmingham and I've noticed that in this forum the city of Birmingham has a really bad reputation compared to the other cities in the UK.

Can anyone tell me why that is? I honestly have no idea...

Thanks xD

I agree with man above.

Brum has bad parts if you google "Does Brum have bad parts."

It's a great city and has its well ends and grim ends like any other place. I'd advise just going and seeing for yourself.
Original post by zigglr
Because it's a dump and minorities are a majority there

lol :nah:

OP don't listen to him. It has dumps and has minorities, sure, but that's not all of it.
London has dumps and bare minorities as well. But it's still London one of the best places on Earth.
Leicester has dumps but it also has University of Leicester. Hush now.
i was on the coach to brum once and this indian man next to me was trying to flirt w/ me and it was so creepy he was like 40 so i told myself I'd never go back there

Latest

Trending

Trending