Turn on thread page Beta

should/can I take maths and physics in year 13? watch

ReputationRep:
    I love maths and physics (especially physics). They are honestly my favourite subjects. The problem is, I'm unable to study them at a level as I got a C in maths, when I was predicted a high B. The reason of this is due to a mix of anxiety (I have problems with anxiety, especially during a stressful time like that) and the fact that the exam was difficult. I'm really depressed that I can't study physics, honestly I love it and it fascinates me; it's more like a hobby for me. I'm hoping to resit my maths GCSE in November (I know I can get a much higher grade that I did). I picked bio (don't even like it), chem, history, and english lit (again, didn't really want to do it). If I drop english lit and maybe just do AS biology (if even that), provided I get at least a B, will my sixth form allow me to take physics and maths next year? I'm genuinely so upset because of my grade I'm going to work EXTREMELY hard for this resit, and do nothing but non stop revision. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    So you are currently in year 11 going onto year 12?
    Have you asked your subject teachers about trying to do physics and maths at A level yet? I was in a similar situation to you last year for physics as I only got a C ,through no fault of my own, but the requirement was a B and I had to explain to a brand new physics teacher the situation. Fortunately he did let me onto the course in the end.
    But yes explain to your teachers who will be teaching these A levels that you want to do it and why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurenafenete)
    So you are currently in year 11 going onto year 12?
    Have you asked your subject teachers about trying to do physics and maths at A level yet? I was in a similar situation to you last year for physics as I only got a C ,through no fault of my own, but the requirement was a B and I had to explain to a brand new physics teacher the situation. Fortunately he did let me onto the course in the end.
    But yes explain to your teachers who will be teaching these A levels that you want to do it and why.
    I spoke to one of the teachers on enrolment day, and he was quite rude about it tbh. I asked him if I could somehow do physics and he flat out refused. I asked him that if I resat my maths GCSE in November and I get a B, if I would be able to take the course then, and he again said no, because I would've missed a lot. I'm actually losing sleep thinking about this, I'm genuinely so upset

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirahhhhh)
    I spoke to one of the teachers on enrolment day, and he was quite rude about it tbh. I asked him if I could somehow do physics and he flat out refused. I asked him that if I resat my maths GCSE in November and I get a B, if I would be able to take the course then, and he again said no, because I would've missed a lot. I'm actually losing sleep thinking about this, I'm genuinely so upset
    Attempting full A levels in maths and physics in one year alongside finishing another A level doesn't sound like a realistic plan that your school would/could support.
    I recommend you meet with your head of sixth form and explain your passion for physics and see what might be possible. if they can't come up with a plan, consider contacting local colleges to see what they could offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Attempting full A levels in maths and physics in one year alongside finishing another A level doesn't sound like a realistic plan that your school would/could support.
    I recommend you meet with your head of sixth form and explain your passion for physics and see what might be possible. if they can't come up with a plan, consider contacting local colleges to see what they could offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was actually thinking of doing AS maths and physics in year 13, and instead of going to uni the year after, completing my a levels. It's something that I really want to do and I don't mind waiting to go to university if it's for something that I enjoy.

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.