Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've recently recieved my gcse results and managed to Get 1A*, 7A's and 3B'S. Would these results be admirable or sufficient for the top Universities for Law E.g UCL, LSE, Durham ect ?

Also, for A levels, I've chosen History, Mathetmatics, Psychology and AS R.E. Are these choices fine enough? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasanalm)
    I've recently recieved my gcse results and managed to Get 1A*, 7A's and 3B'S. Would these results be admirable or sufficient for the top Universities for Law E.g UCL, LSE, Durham ect ?

Also, for A levels, I've chosen History, Mathetmatics, Psychology and AS R.E. Are these choices fine enough? Thank you
    I would swap Psychology for English lit.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have also chosen to study Law as a degree for my university course as well. And I will be doing English Language and Literature, Modern History, Law and Politics in college so far as I am concerned, I agree you should drop psychology because that will only benefit you in certain areas of Law when studying at university, these may include Criminal Law, Family Law and Public Law and such. Instead of taking psychology, you may consider subjects such as English Language or Literature or both combined if that is availabe to you at your college, Politics, and subjects such as Law could be a good foundation and will give you solid background of information before starting university. In addition, may I also suggest that you should look into the university websites of the unis you are considering to apply as they might have specific subjects that you may want to take or avoid taking. For example; I heard that LSE have a list of subjects that they dont accept for specific courses and if two of your A-levels are in that list you may have taught time getting into their course. However, I am not too sure if that is an actual fact as I myself heard it from other people but I am sure they do have that list because i think I have seen it on their website too. Good Luck with your college studies, I hope this helps. And if you are really stuck just get an appointment from your careers advisor at college either at enrolment or first weeks of school so that you can change it before it is too late but as i said every college is different so you should ask and get an advice as I did long before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yagmur_9898)
    For example; I heard that LSE have a list of subjects that they dont accept for specific courses and if two of your A-levels are in that list you may have taught time getting into their course. However, I am not too sure if that is an actual fact as I myself heard it from other people..
    Yes this is true.
    List of common traditional academic/”generally preferred” subjects:
    • Ancient History
    • Biology
    • Classical Civilisation
    • Chemistry
    • Computing
    • Economics
    • English (English Language, English Literature and English Language and Literature)
    • Further Mathematics*
    • Geography
    • Government and Politics
    • History
    • Languages: Modern Foreign, Classic and Community**
    • Mathematics
    • Music
    • Philosophy
    • Physics
    • Psychology
    • Religious Studies
    • Sociology
    List of common non-preferred subjects:
    • Any Applied A level
    • Accounting
    • Art and Design
    • Business Studies
    • Citizenship Studies
    • Communication and Culture
    • Creative Writing
    • Design and Technology
    • Drama/Theatre Studies
    • Film Studies
    • Health and Social Care
    • Home Economics
    • Information and Communication Technology
    • Law
    • Leisure Studies
    • Media Studies
    • Music Technology
    • Physical Education/Sports studies
    • Travel and Tourism
    LSE say that they prefer you to have 2 subjects from the preferred list and it looks like all of your subjects are on there so well done, you should be fine to apply as long as you get predicred A*AA atleast. Goodluck.

ReputationRep:
    It's really important that you play to your strengths but don't overshoot, or undershoot. If you're only just starting AS levels now, there is a big jump from GCSEs. Don't set your heart on universities or even some courses if you're planning to do Medicine/Veterinary/Law/Econ etc., because it might well change on AS results day. You said you're planning to do Law, so whatever you do, keep organised and on top of things. Also don't choose what you will drop because it might well change! It definitely did for me If you get an A* at GCSE, you aren't guaranteed an A, a B, C, D, or even and E at AS. So work hard if your heart is set on Law!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 27, 2015

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.