Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've recently recieved my gcse results and managed to Get 1A*, 7A's and 3B'S. Would these results be admirable or sufficient for the top Universities for Law E.g UCL, LSE, Durham ect ?

Also, for A levels, I've chosen History, Mathetmatics, Psychology and AS R.E. Are these choices fine enough? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    My elder brother applied for LSC and Queen Mary and they weren't even looking at GCSE results. I think most unis are looking for 2/3 A*'s or equivalent in A Levels.

Personally, I am taking Law, Business Studies, Accounting, Maths and English for A Levels to give myself a better insight into the subjects so that it's a bit easier when I go to apply for unis like Cambridge, LSC etc.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasanalm)
    I've recently recieved my gcse results and managed to Get 1A*, 7A's and 3B'S. Would these results be admirable or sufficient for the top Universities for Law E.g UCL, LSE, Durham ect ?

Also, for A levels, I've chosen History, Mathetmatics, Psychology and AS R.E. Are these choices fine enough? Thank you
    Good choices. Make sure you do well at all 4, aim for 4 As. Really make sure you get those grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NishatM)
    My elder brother applied for LSC and Queen Mary and they weren't even looking at GCSE results. I think most unis are looking for 2/3 A*'s or equivalent in A Levels.

Personally, I am taking Law, Business Studies, Accounting, Maths and English for A Levels to give myself a better insight into the subjects so that it's a bit easier when I go to apply for unis like Cambridge, LSC etc.

Hope this helps.
    Hi, I was just wondering what subject you'd like to apply for to study in uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd strongly advise swapping out Mathematics for English Lit (or R.E. AS for an EngLit AS/Maths AS)- English and History are staples when applying for a Law course. You'll stick out by not doing both. Of course, it's more than possible to gain entry to a very good university with those subjects, but why put yourself at a disadvantage from the get-go? Pretty much every Law student I know (including myself) did at least an AS in both History and English. Maths, while interesting, doesn't have many compatible skills with Law. You'll learn argument structure in History, but your vocabulary will expand quite significantly with English- most of this vocabulary will be useless to you, but it's the process of assimilating new words and retaining their meaning which will help you most in a Law degree. Slot it in somewhere, in my opinion .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oli T-H)
    I'd strongly advise swapping out Mathematics for English Lit (or R.E. AS for an EngLit AS/Maths AS)- English and History are staples when applying for a Law course. You'll stick out by not doing both. Of course, it's more than possible to gain entry to a very good university with those subjects, but why put yourself at a disadvantage from the get-go? Pretty much every Law student I know (including myself) did at least an AS in both History and English. Maths, while interesting, doesn't have many compatible skills with Law. You'll learn argument structure in History, but your vocabulary will expand quite significantly with English- most of this vocabulary will be useless to you, but it's the process of assimilating new words and retaining their meaning which will help you most in a Law degree. Slot it in somewhere, in my opinion .
    Thank you for the advice When speaking to everyone about A-level choices, I was told to rather pick the subjects that I would do the best in for Law. This is because the actual grades acquired hold much greater significance than the A-levels themselves. . Of course English literature is rather favourable for many Unis, but I am not certain I would end up with a guaranteed A/A* therefore i've chosen subjects which I will strive best in giving me the best shot at all the top universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasanalm)
    Thank you for the advice When speaking to everyone about A-level choices, I was told to rather pick the subjects that I would do the best in for Law. This is because the actual grades acquired hold much greater significance than the A-levels themselves. . Of course English literature is rather favourable for many Unis, but I am not certain I would end up with a guaranteed A/A* therefore i've chosen subjects which I will strive best in giving me the best shot at all the top universities.
    Ah, if you don't think you'll get an A in English, fair enough. Good luck!

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.