The Student Room Group

Which chinese learning programme is better? yoyo chinese or fluenz

They both look really good I tried some free lessons but what if only the free lessons are good for fluenz you only pay once and for yoyo chinese yu pay monthly so which woud you say is better yoyo chinese teaches writing is well but my priority is conversation for now.
Moved to International Lounge, where you're more likely to get an answer :smile:
Reply 2
I have considered learnign Mandarin I looked at all sorts of learning programmes I thought that these 2 were the best however I am not sure which is better as yoyo chinese you pay per month and fluenz you buy once.Yoyo chinese teaches writing is well but that is not a priority for now I am not sure which one will help me make most progress.
Original post by *Interrobang*
Moved to International Lounge, where you're more likely to get an answer :smile:

Is the International Lounge the proper place for this thread? I think the OP would be more likely to get an answer if you moved his question into this thread. The OP seems to have posted this thread twice.
Original post by Maria1812
I have considered learnign Mandarin I looked at all sorts of learning programmes I thought that these 2 were the best however I am not sure which is better as yoyo chinese you pay per month and fluenz you buy once.Yoyo chinese teaches writing is well but that is not a priority for now I am not sure which one will help me make most progress.

I'm a learner of the Chinese Language. And I spent hours trying to find the perfect programme/website. Yoyo Chinese is good to a point, fluenz i'm not so sure on. I've been using this grammar site "Chinese Grammar Wiki" it's an extremely good website and it's all free, the downside being you don't get vocab lists :frown: However for vocab you can just go on the HSK site and select HSK 1 vocab for all the beginners and work your way up ^.^ To make Mandarin Chinese more fun i think you should check out a website called "Viki" It's a site filled with foreign dramas and trust me the Chinese dramas are amazing! ^.^ And for music the traditional chinese music is beautiful but you want to listen to uptodate? their charts are pretty decent ^.^ Hope this was useful, and I hope you have fun learning the language! Chinese is extremely beautiful :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Snufkin
Is the International Lounge the proper place for this thread? I think the OP would be more likely to get an answer if you moved his question into this thread. The OP seems to have posted this thread twice.

Yes I moved it to the international lunge couple minutes ago this is where I could get more answers I am not sure whether there is actually an appropriate section for this question.
Reply 6
I really like what you have shared here.
Reply 7
Original post by Ruthikins
I'm a learner of the Chinese Language. And I spent hours trying to find the perfect programme/website. Yoyo Chinese is good to a point, fluenz i'm not so sure on. I've been using this grammar site "Chinese Grammar Wiki" it's an extremely good website and it's all free, the downside being you don't get vocab lists :frown: However for vocab you can just go on the HSK site and select HSK 1 vocab for all the beginners and work your way up ^.^ To make Mandarin Chinese more fun i think you should check out a website called "Viki" It's a site filled with foreign dramas and trust me the Chinese dramas are amazing! ^.^ And for music the traditional chinese music is beautiful but you want to listen to uptodate? their charts are pretty decent ^.^ Hope this was useful, and I hope you have fun learning the language! Chinese is extremely beautiful :smile:

I don't mind spending money also those free websites do not show progress but I will look you should check out fluenz on youtube. Vocab lists don't give me any help as I am a auditary learner as well as chinese has tones and those vocab lists don't help with pronounciation. They may once say it out loud however they do not focus on the tone.
Reply 8
Hi Maria,
Great question. I've been comparing the two products as well and here's where I see the biggest differences:
1. Delivery of the product: Fluenz is physical discs that you plug in and use like Rosetta Stone. Yoyo Chinese: all videos and materials are online organized into different levels
2. Access: Fluenz has 3 different levels that you have to buy if you want to reach the maximum level with them. Yoyo Chinese: you pay a monthly subscription price based on 1, 3, 6, or 12 months and you get full access to every course on the site. You can jump around to different videos or search for specific phrases you want to learn even if they are not up next on the course schedule.
3. Course schedule: Since Fluenz is CD-ROM software, you have to start at the beginning of the disk everytime. Yoyo Chinese: you can bookmark your progress in the Course Schedule and pick up right where you left off.
4. Updates: Fluenz has created the discs so these are hard copies, there is no updating or changing of any possible errors, or making videos more timely. They just have level 1, 2, and 3. Yoyo Chinese: constant updates as courses are being further developed. There is no end to how many courses will be offered. It's just a matter of time.
5. Here's a big one: customer and student support. Fluenz does not have an interactive team or forum where you can ask questions as they arise during your language study journey. Yoyo Chinese has Chinese teachers on staff who answer any question you may have within 24 hours. Also, they are very active on social media with supplementary words, vocabulary, interesting updates,e tc. So you are never stuck out their alone in your language learning adventure.
6. Price: Fluenz is $298 for level 1+2+3. There isn't a trial period. You are just buying CD-ROM discs and you better hope that you finish all the discs, otherwise you've wasted a lot of money. Yoyo Chinese's subscription model is more attractive, because you can try it out online for a shorter period of time. If you love it, you can extend your membership. They also run specials pretty often too. And members always get 10% off when renewing.
7. Company philosophy: Both company philosophies are similar: there are teachers who are passionate about their own language and want to share it with the world. The only difference is that Fluenz is in the Language business, and Yoyo Chinese is in the Chinese language business. So you can be sure that Yoyo Chinese will have their full attention focused on making your Chinese learning experience the best it can be.

Oh, and I can also agree with @Ruthikins, the Chinese Grammar Wiki is really useful too! But it may not be useful unless you've been studying the basics for a while.

I hope this run-down helps your decision! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by yoyomicah
Hi Maria,
Great question. I've been comparing the two products as well and here's where I see the biggest differences:
1. Delivery of the product: Fluenz is physical discs that you plug in and use like Rosetta Stone. Yoyo Chinese: all videos and materials are online organized into different levels
2. Access: Fluenz has 3 different levels that you have to buy if you want to reach the maximum level with them. Yoyo Chinese: you pay a monthly subscription price based on 1, 3, 6, or 12 months and you get full access to every course on the site. You can jump around to different videos or search for specific phrases you want to learn even if they are not up next on the course schedule.
3. Course schedule: Since Fluenz is CD-ROM software, you have to start at the beginning of the disk everytime. Yoyo Chinese: you can bookmark your progress in the Course Schedule and pick up right where you left off.
4. Updates: Fluenz has created the discs so these are hard copies, there is no updating or changing of any possible errors, or making videos more timely. They just have level 1, 2, and 3. Yoyo Chinese: constant updates as courses are being further developed. There is no end to how many courses will be offered. It's just a matter of time.
5. Here's a big one: customer and student support. Fluenz does not have an interactive team or forum where you can ask questions as they arise during your language study journey. Yoyo Chinese has Chinese teachers on staff who answer any question you may have within 24 hours. Also, they are very active on social media with supplementary words, vocabulary, interesting updates,e tc. So you are never stuck out their alone in your language learning adventure.
6. Price: Fluenz is $298 for level 1+2+3. There isn't a trial period. You are just buying CD-ROM discs and you better hope that you finish all the discs, otherwise you've wasted a lot of money. Yoyo Chinese's subscription model is more attractive, because you can try it out online for a shorter period of time. If you love it, you can extend your membership. They also run specials pretty often too. And members always get 10% off when renewing.
7. Company philosophy: Both company philosophies are similar: there are teachers who are passionate about their own language and want to share it with the world. The only difference is that Fluenz is in the Language business, and Yoyo Chinese is in the Chinese language business. So you can be sure that Yoyo Chinese will have their full attention focused on making your Chinese learning experience the best it can be.

Oh, and I can also agree with @Ruthikins, the Chinese Grammar Wiki is really useful too! But it may not be useful unless you've been studying the basics for a while.

I hope this run-down helps your decision! :smile:

Thank you very much I appreciate your reply I think yoyo chiense may be the better alternative overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending