Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I know there's a few of us taking Edexcel AS Politics on Wednesday on this board. It seems a given that something about the June 10th elections could come up, but anyone have any idea or been advised as to what this might be?
    Anything particular anyone thinks we should revise considering there are elections the next day?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    urm no idea... but if any of u are voting...
    dont 4get Respect!

no tuition fees for uni
    no council tax
    no war
    alll peeps under the age of 18 travel free
    and everyone else has a flat rate £1 fare for travellin in london...

now thats my kinda party!

http://www.respectcoalition.com/ :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Hey guys,
    I know there's a few of us taking Edexcel AS Politics on Wednesday on this board. It seems a given that something about the June 10th elections could come up, but anyone have any idea or been advised as to what this might be?
    Anything particular anyone thinks we should revise considering there are elections the next day?
    Thanks!
    I've been told to revise the EU for unit 3 as it is the European Parliament elections the next day, as well as the fact that the EU has never come up before. But thats only what my teacher told me and he could be completely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    ...or even Simon Hughes.. (!) we've got yellow Lib Dem banners all over my area and someone stuck one on Tory HQ aswell! lol...

I can't really think of anything new to say about the elections.. its a good job they are after your exams though! .. maybe you can say how Lib Dems will probably gain at a local level because of opposition to the Iraq war.. hmm, I guess you can only make predicitions so you won't be wrong either way.

They also tried out the postal vote thing in a few areas and messed up. Pensioners thought the form was too complicated.. meh..

sorry that wasn't v.helpful..

vote lib dem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Hey guys,
    Thanks!
    i don't do politics but i do know all papers are written the year before so it's unlikely the election would come up, despite the appropriate timing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    i don't do politics but i do know all papers are written the year before so it's unlikely the election would come up, despite the appropriate timing!
    They can't be.. at least not for politics.. last year the questions were bang up to date (for the US one that is)- about affirmative action, recent supreme court judgements etc.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that they were wrtitten a few months before, so that they are up to date with the rest of the world.

ReputationRep:
    Exam papers are written two years in advance, and while they can be edited, it seldom happens. However, the examiner who wrote the paper (who just happens to be my politics teacher) will have been aware that elections would be taking place on June 10 2004.

From my experience, you are very unlikely to be asked a question specifically about an election. However, I'm sure that you will be gain marks for mentioning aspects of the election campaign that are relevant to the question. For instance, if you are asked about party policies and attutudes towards Europe, then make sure you say that "At the 2004 European Parliamentary election the Conservatives campaigned to withdraw from the common fisheries policy/renegotiate the European consitution/review powers granted to the EU....." Parties often raise useful things to know about in exams, for instance Plaid Cymru has been publicising that Wales has 2 MEP's and Luxerbourg has 6, even though Wales has twice the popualtion. If this was relevant to a question, then it's the sort of thing that you should try and mention, and then evaluate it by explaining why Wales is, apparently, under represented in the European Parliament.

Best of luck, tom

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell Tom! I take it your class does quite well in Politics then? =P

devolution has appered on paper 3 every time...so i dunno if it will this year..i hope so as it is easy!! they wont ask anything specific about the election but they do expect up to date examples so if there is an election question it will be expected that thursday is mentioned..thats how they can write papers 1&2 in advanced..because its not really that specific is it..well every practice ive done hasnt been really...paper 3 though has data and stuff..

i remember my teacher once telling me that the exam one year was the day after the general election so she was running round in the morning of the exam telling everyone what had happened so they didnt write anything stupid..lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    devolution has appered on paper 3 every time...so i dunno if it will this year..i hope so as it is easy!! they wont ask anything specific about the election but they do expect up to date examples so if there is an election question it will be expected that thursday is mentioned..thats how they can write papers 1&2 in advanced..because its not really that specific is it..well every practice ive done hasnt been really...paper 3 though has data and stuff..

i remember my teacher once telling me that the exam one year was the day after the general election so she was running round in the morning of the exam telling everyone what had happened so they didnt write anything stupid..lol
    Electoral reform (PR) has come up on the last two unit 3 papers.

(Original post by tomhitchings)
    Electoral reform (PR) has come up on the last two unit 3 papers.
    i think i would be ok with a question on Electoral reform or devouloution but europe is my dodgey area..we only finished being taught it last week and it was all really rushed..

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.