Turn on thread page Beta

I just got AAAA at AS level, but should I retake the year? watch

ReputationRep:
    So i just completed year 12 with A grades in English Lit, History, Religious Studies and Classical Civilisation.

However, for the past few months i have been worrying about job prospects in the humanities, specifically English which is what I planned to do at University. I'm thinking that maybe I should retake the year doing science subjects (Biology, Chemistry) and then pursue a degree and career in forensics or Osteology or human evolution etc. Science does not come easily to me, and I would have to work extremely hard to do well in these subjects at AS level. Also, some maths is involved in these and I am absolutely horrendous at maths, to the point where I needed tutoring at GCSE to reach a B grade.

So should i redo the year, or continue to A2 with my current subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simbasdragon)
    So i just completed year 12 with A grades in English Lit, History, Religious Studies and Classical Civilisation.

However, for the past few months i have been worrying about job prospects in the humanities, specifically English which is what I planned to do at University. I'm thinking that maybe I should retake the year doing science subjects (Biology, Chemistry) and then pursue a degree and career in forensics or Osteology or human evolution etc. Science does not come easily to me, and I would have to work extremely hard to do well in these subjects at AS level. Also, some maths is involved in these and I am absolutely horrendous at maths, to the point where I needed tutoring at GCSE to reach a B grade.

Why on earth would you set yourself up to fail? If you are good at humanities and arts subjects, stick with them. Your job prospects after you graduate are in your hands, and it's worth remembering that there are plenty of badly-paid science graduates out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simbasdragon)

This is a ridiculous idea. You can do extremely well in life as a good humanities graduate. The world doesn't need more poor scientists. For a start, the world of forensics is so overcrowded that even the good graduates can't get a job in the field, so one who is as poor at science as you paint yourself to be would be wasting time, money and life. 60% of graduate jobs don't require a degree in any specific subject, just a good class of degree at the end. Play to your strengths.

ReputationRep:
    I would continue with your current subjects. You've done really well in them and I assume you enjoy them. I don't think there's any point taking options purely for job prospects, as even if you did work hard and do well in them, you would likely not enjoy it and if you are not passionate about a subject, it may come across to universities/potential employers, who are unlikely to offer you a place/job. Even if you did get a job in science, you'd probably be unhappy with your work, as it would not be what you truly wanted to do. If you want to study English, I think you ought to do so. There are career paths an English degree would enable you to go down and you're more likely to enjoy your job, which is important, as you will likely spend several years of your life in that career.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.