The Student Room Group

Applying to UWC through UWCGB

Hi , I'm 15 and have just started my application for UWC through UWCGB . Could anyone offer any personal statement advice or general advice on applying? I know no-one who has been to these colleges but my French teacher showed me the site and it looks absolutely fab! I live in Cardiff (so right next to AC) I do loads of charity and volunteering work including trips to Africa and speaking at the NUT Conference / Speeches in Parliament / oxfam bookshop volunteer etcetera but the problem is I can't really afford to go (the price for a year at AC is more than my parents' annual earnings combined...) Does anyone know if it's worth applying as I know that UWCGB offer scholarships but they're merit , not needs based , so I'm not sure how likely I am to get one. Also , does anyone know if they offer help with flights etcetera as I am limited to the european colleges + usa + singapore as to what colleges I can apply to due to the cost of flying to for example Victoria Canada ... Thanks for reading this and any help from anyone would be soo appreciated! With regards to my essays I have to write , there's a question stating something along the lines of " Tell us about a time when a challenging circumstance taught you something about yourself. This question will help us to understand how you respond to difficult situations, and how you use challenges as learning opportunities."I've prepared two answers for this , one talking about what it was like coming back from Ghana after meeting and working with kids in extreme poverty , and how there difficult circumstances makes me feel guilty then another about the challenging circumstance of my learning how to ride a bike this year.. I just don't know if talking about charity trips abroad would make me sound a bit patronising or showy iffy , whereas talking about riding a bike might make it seem like I'm not taking it seriously! uuchhh heeeellllpppp :afraid::afraid::afraid:

Also , does anyone know how many applicants per place UWCGB receive per year usually?

thanks !!!

Quick Reply

Latest