Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ive got a place at the penryn campus but i really dont know if i want to go
    i had a place at the streatham campus and was totally in love with the course, the campus, i had friends going there, and was happy with the distance from london.
    my offer was A*AA, and everyone kept telling me id get in just fine, even if i missed my offer. well, i got A*A in two other subjects, but a B in english. they changed my place to q301 at the penryn campus.

i know im lucky to have a place there due to my grades, but i still really dont want to go. i wanted to go to exeter. real exeter. this is even further away from home, has far less modules, is so much smaller, and is just not what i was preparing myself for. to make things worse i dont even know if i want to do english any more

anyone who does, or has done english at penryn - can you please tell me your views - calm me down or tell me itll be fine and that penryn is great or whatever, or if its awful warn me off. i know its not awful btw, i dont say that to offend anyone. i just have previously made a similar thread and some stirrer replied saying that the penryn campus is rubbish and that i shouldnt touch it with a bargepole or something and it made me really nervous.

i need to work this out soon as i havent even worked out accommodation and my parents are pestering me

ReputationRep:
    pleeeeeeeeeeeeease someone reply i need help

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Firstly, from what it sounds you have done amazingly well and you should be really proud of yourself for everything you have achieved! 😃
    I am currently approaching my third year at Exeter studying at the Penryn Campus. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I live at home and commute to the campus most days, but I really enjoy it. It's such a beautiful campus; it's not often students can say that they can see the sea from their seminar room, but we can! I don't know what that other person was on about when they said 'it's rubbish'.
    I understand you are disappointed about not getting into Streatham, but I would really urge you to evaluate your options. After two years of the course I feel very much stretched, both academically and professionally. The English course at Penryn demands that you do a lot of independent research, which is great because you can really get into what you like and take the approach you want to take to a particular text. And of course, it sets you up well for the dissertation in third year. The skills you learn are second to none. I must say, I've learnt so much over the last two years; both about myself and the texts which we delve into.
    The lecturers are always helpful and we have some great resources such as the Undergraduate Writing Centre which aid your writing skills throughout the three years.
    Being in Cornwall is one of the biggest selling points. It's so beautiful down here. If you like an 'outdoorsy' lifestyle this is the place for you. Penryn is near to Falmouth, and it's a wonderful town. There are great cobbled streets full of cute shops and really quirky pubs. And you can see the sea and go to the beach, which, even in the winter is beautiful.
    Sorry for long essay ahhaha, but I really would urge you to reconsider Penryn as an option. It really is a lovely campus and it's still Exeter (technically!). I'd go as far to say, I think I much prefer it down here than up there. Hahah. Hope this helps you, you really shouldn't panic about it, it's a big decision, but it really is beautiful down here. Any more questions you have, try and find me on Facebook and message me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be studying at Penryn Campus, also taking English. Completely agree with the above poster, I just wanted to add in that when you get your degree it will just show as a degree from Exeter University, they don't note down whether you went to the Exeter or Penryn campus. That is still a degree from a Russell group university.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Firstly, don't panic. It is natural to be disappointed and nervous when things don't turn out how you planned and it seems that you really did have your heart set on the Streatham campus, so I'm sorry that you didn't get a place there. However, I am also incredibly excited for you because you have been given an unexpected opportunity to study English at the best university in the country (although I suppose I am biased). The Penryn Campus has a huge amount to offer and I'm going to attempt to calm your nerves a little bit with some of the best bits!
    Having grown up in Exeter, I know that it's a great city and does have some bonus bits. However, it is just a city. There are loads of them, all over the country, with the same shops, the same nightclubs, the same chain restaurants and campus facilities, etc etc. Penryn/Falmouth are smaller by comparison but offer some of the most brilliantly creative and unique experiences imaginable. There are bars that stay open until 5 am serving only rum (which, by the way, you'll come to love), to boat parties, individual restaurants serving real ingredients like seafood and locally sourced meats, house roasted coffee, boutique shops... Falmouth is fantastic purely because it's not like anywhere else. So that's the town- it's great, you'll love it. Don't even worry for a second about that.
    I can see why you are concerned about the course. Yes, there aren't so many modules to choose from, but I think that's actually a good thing. You get to know everyone on your course because you are all going through the same classes together. The seminars are small and you have much more room for open discussion with your lecturers and class mates. Plus, being in Cornwall adds something a little special. You will study unique literature that just wouldn't be relevant anywhere else. You mentioned that you don't know if you want to do English anymore, which is obviously something that only you can think about and make a decision on. I do, however, think that the Penryn Campus will give you a broader degree because you don't get to pick all the modernist modules, or Shakespeare modules, for example. Plus, there is the option to branch out and do a creative writing dissertation in your final year, if you think that might be for you. In addition, I think that the university has a more relaxed approach, perhaps because the pace of life is slower in Cornwall, and you can talk to your lecturers if you feel like you have any problems with the course.
    Lastly, I would just like to say what an incredible experience it is studying in Cornwall. From Penryn campus, you can be at the beach in 15 minutes, where there is paddle-boarding, surfing, kayaking, beach yoga, a beach bar or just sand, for relaxing and studying alike. The outdoors life is fantastic and the people who enjoy it are, on the whole, more positive and happy than others I have met.
    The Penryn Campus is smaller and a different experience from Streatham, it can't be denied. It is, however, the best decision I have ever made. Through Penryn, I have had so many other opportunities, from personal experiences to academic ones. I recently returned from a Study Abroad year, for example. The campus is state of the art, modern with a focus on environmental awareness and the accommodation is wonderful, with double beds as standard and lovely flats... I could go on forever about how much I love it. The decision about taking English is yours... but if you are worried about the Penryn campus, don't. It is magnificent!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PixieSmiles)
    I'm going to be studying at Penryn Campus, also taking English. Completely agree with the above poster, I just wanted to add in that when you get your degree it will just show as a degree from Exeter University, they don't note down whether you went to the Exeter or Penryn campus. That is still a degree from a Russell group university.
    If you list on your CV your part-time job working in a pub in Penryn during the years you were supposedly attending Exeter Uni, they might be able to work out that you were not at the established campus. If they found out, it would be looked down upon and rightly so.

(Original post by EmergencyBagels)
    well, i got A*A in two other subjects, but a B in english. they changed my place to q301 at the penryn campus.
    I am not sure it's worth going to a campus you may not like with the added pressure of the course being looked down upon if it's ever uncovered you attended the B-site, as it were. I'd seriously consider taking a year out and applying next year, because you are a very strong candidate with A*AB and your year out will fly by an awful lot faster than 3 years in a secluded place you may not like.

ReputationRep:
    thank you to the first repliers, i will take everything youve said into account :-)

(Original post by callum_law)
    I am not sure it's worth going to a campus you may not like with the added pressure of the course being looked down upon if it's ever uncovered you attended the B-site, as it were. I'd seriously consider taking a year out and applying next year, because you are a very strong candidate with A*AB and your year out will fly by an awful lot faster than 3 years in a secluded place you may not like.
    well i suppose it being 'looked down upon' will be debated depending on who you ask. i know theyve now upped the grade requirements there to the same as those at streatham - possibly trying to improve reputation by seeming more competitive?

I am taking a year out - i have deferred. i need time to think about my subject choice, mainly. i also think that i cant really be said to be a 'very strong candidate' for english if i have a B in english - maybe for some other subject. unless i retake, i think that if i realised i am sure about studying english, penryn would be the best, most respectable opportunity id get!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 8, 2015

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

University of Exeter Guide

Accommodation profiles:

Fresh Student Living

Fresh Student Living

Fresh provide student accommodation across the country in a number of locations.

Quick Link:

Unanswered University of Exeter Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.