Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if any of this happened to you guys but at my Uni (Plymouth) I completed majority of my exams until I had a throat infection/vomiting and I am due to finish my last two exams next week. But I'm extremely ill and it hasn't gotten better? I haven't been getting sleep at night, I have a fever and I have been throwing up? What is your take on this?
    I feel like I'm not well enough to get my head in the right place because I'm ill and my first exam is on Tuesday but I don't know what to do cause I applied for extenuating circumstances before during the main period?
    Advice would be appreciated ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    Can you defer a deferred exam? I've emailed my Uni but I need advice yikes.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Are you able to speak to a gp to get a doctors note?

ReputationRep:
    If you can produce evidence which is accepted as Extenuating Circumstances, it's more likely that there will be some sort of adjustment based on your year's academic performance and other exam results. I will very much depend on your uni though, as each can set its own rules and regs on this sort of situation. Even then, it may be a judgement call as to how each individual situation is handled.

At my undergrad uni, deferring a deferred exam wouldn't be possible. There are set first sitting and retake exam periods and none are scheduled outside those times. The most likely outcome would be that the exam is substituted with an externally moderated piece of additional coursework - what they term "Compensation". The submission dates of this is much more flexible and it can be deferred past the exam resit period.

However, do wait to hear back from your uni. As long as you have written proof of your illness from a GP, you shouldn't be penalised. If you haven't seen your GP yet, I would recommend it. Not least because you must have been ill for at least a couple of months now, which is something that needs to be looked at.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard back yet and I'm going to book an appointment with my gp tomorrow it's my final year so I don't know what to do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Vanilla)
    I haven't heard back yet and I'm going to book an appointment with my gp tomorrow it's my final year so I don't know what to do...
    There's nothing you can do but wait at the moment. You'll be told what options there might be, by your university. All we can do is guess based on what we've seen/experienced.

I know it must be very worrying, but get yourself to the GP and make sure you explain the uni situation so s/he knows that you urgently need written evidence from them.

ReputationRep:
    I got a bit better but then I got food poisoning yesterday night so I had to miss my exam today apparently one person said I could reschedule it but another said I would have to repeat the whole module including the exam I did and they would lift the cap. Meaning graduating next year I wish I could get one confirmed answer. :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 25, 2015

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.