Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Taking maths, physics, business studies and economics. Just got A's in maths and physics but didn't take business or economics. I'm not the most hard working so will I really struggle with these subjects at A-level? If so, how badly? Also, let me know how you found these subjects if you took them yourselves!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Maths is very hard as are A-levels in general. If you don't work hard or do too much paid work you will be dissapointed no matter what the subject. One of my smartest friends just got ACEE at AS because she did too much paid work and the A was in PE (coursework based). Really if you do **** all, you will get **** all- sorry to be harsh but thats just how it is

Without hard work you will struggle a lot. Unless you're a child prodigy, you won't come out the other end with A grades if you don't put in the required effort. I don't know how much attention you pay to this forum but over the last week it's been full of people who did fine at GCSE creating depressing threads about A-level results and how they can turn their situations around.

Don't make the mistake a lot of people make and just ace your AS exams. Do that and you'll have a lot less to worry about at A2.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is different, but I took maths and physics to A level so I'll tell you how I found them.

I loved maths at AS. It was hard, but not too hard, particularly as C1 was very similar to my Further Maths GCSE. I'm not a maths prodigy - my brother is so I'm all too aware of that! - but I got an A at AS without having to absolutely slave away. However, I do always work hard for exams because otherwise I get stressed.

Physics, on the other hand, was very hard. I struggled at times. My marks in class were pretty good but I had to put in more effort for physics than for any other subject. I did end up with an A at AS but that was the result of some of the hardest work I have ever done in my life - beaten only by the work I had to put in at A2 for the same subject!

Maths at A2 was very different to maths at AS. It was much harder. C4 was actually the bane of my life and I got the worst grade at A2 across all my subjects in C4 maths. I worked so hard to try and understand it but I just didn't quite get there. I got an A in A level maths overall, but it was a very low A because I got a D in the C4 module, despite working extremely hard as I knew C4 was my weak spot.

Physics at A2 I didn't find too much harder than As - but I'd found AS really hard so that isn't saying much! Again, I got an A at the end but I had to do so much work and I had serious issues with the unit 4 paper. Fortunately, that was the famous paper where one of the questions was genuinely unsolveable due to a typo, therefore my mark wasn't too bad (I got a B in that unit).

Now, my boyfriend didn't revise for any exam until the day before the exam and got straight A's. So some people can just breeze through. (He did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology). But he got no A*s because he didn't work and that made him very upset.

So in conclusion, the harder you work the better your grades will be (obviously) and you may be like my boyfriend and able to breeze through, or you may be like me and unable to get good grades without a lot of hard work! You won't know until you start studying the subjects how easy you find them - some people find some subjects much easier than other people.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.