Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I received A* Economics, A* History and A French on results day which was better than expected and I am now considering oxbridge. I was originally planned to study French with ab initio Italian however I have been told that two languages can be quite dry to study and history and french may be a more interesting combination, and so would appreciate any advice regarding these two courses at oxbridge. I would also appreciate any advice on whether oxford or cambridge is better for modern languages/history and which university has a more lively atmosphere. Thanks.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    First of all, congratulations on your results!

Look at the modules on offer in both subjects at Oxford and Cambridge and see for yourself what you'd find more interesting and then look if it's worth doing two languages or combining subjects. There should be lots of information on their websites that'll give you a better idea. But for languages in general, at Oxford there's a greater focus on foreign literature (so you'll be studying lots of books, poems, plays etc.) and Cambridge focuses more on the linguistic side of things - personally I like studying literature which is why I applied to Oxford. I ultimately didn't get in, but the literature focus was a deciding factor for me, and for some people it would put them off and they'd look at Cambridge instead.

Ultimately, both universities have amazing reputations so choose the one with the content and modules that fascinate you most

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 24, 2015

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.