The Student Room Group

What are my chances?:(

Ill list you my GCSE results and it would be excellent if you could tell me if i have any chance of getting into a repsectable uni.

Maths A
History A
ICT A
Physics A
Biology A
English lang B
English lit B
RPE B
Chemistry B
Sport studies B
German C
Further Maths C

so 5a's 5b's and 2c's

My A level choices are: Economics, History, Gov and politics and Biology

Reply 1
What subject at uni
Reply 2
Those are pretty good. Although, It depends on where you'd like to go and what you would like to study at university ?
Original post by judogainz
Ill list you my GCSE results and it would be excellent if you could tell me if i have any chance of getting into a repsectable uni.

Maths A
History A
ICT A
Physics A
Biology A
English lang B
English lit B
RPE B
Chemistry B
Sport studies B
German C
Further Maths C

so 5a's 5b's and 2c's

I'll keep it short, those are very good GCSEs, the As being in difficult subjects too, well done!
I notice you said 'A Level choices', so are you starting Y12? If so, your A in Maths, History, B in English and A in Biology will be very helpful, both with knowledge and confidence, you'll be fine :smile:

Just work hard, well, do what you have for GCSE - the jump to Y12 isn't difficult at all as long as you keep on top of the work when it increases at around Christmas, but no worries. You come across as had working with your grades anyway..

So to surmise, you'll be perfectly fine!
Reply 4
Thanks for all the replies!
Reply 5
How are my A level subject choices?
How are my A level subject choices?

Depends what you want to do at university. They're great for a humanities subject like Law or History.

Edit: No offence but your choices did remind me of all those people at my sixth form's open day who picked humanities and then threw in Biology as a last-minute measure because they didn't want to look like they couldn't do any sciences. :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Hydeman
Depends what you want to do at university. They're great for a humanities subject like Law or History.

Edit: No offence but your choices did remind me of all those people at my sixth form's open day who picked humanities and then threw in Biology as a last-minute measure because they didn't want to look like they couldn't do any sciences. :lol:

lol

Maths A
History A
ICT A
Physics A
Biology A
English lang B
English lit B
RPE B
Chemistry B
Sport studies B
German C
Further Maths C

so 5a's 5b's and 2c's

I'd say your chances are really good!!! I got similar results to yours (6 As and 5 Bs) and I think you stand a chance of getting in to any of the Russell Groups (and other universities) you choose. The advice I've been getting is, to make sure that your AS and A-level results are strong. :smile:
lol

Also, while your GCSEs are great, you'll want to avoid Oxford since they use the number and proportion of A*s at GCSE in conjunction with entrance exam scores to shortlist people for interview. While they do make some allowance for school performance (e.g. somebody who gets 2 A*s having gone to a school where the average student didn't get any A*s is in a better position than somebody who gets 8 A*s having gone to a school where the average is 10), I think it would be a wasted application, unfortunately. Just do well in your AS exams and then you can apply just about anywhere else. :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Hydeman
Also, while your GCSEs are great, you'll want to avoid Oxford since they use the number and proportion of A*s at GCSE in conjunction with entrance exam scores to shortlist people for interview. While they do make some allowance for school performance (e.g. somebody who gets 2 A*s having gone to a school where the average student didn't get any A*s is in a better position than somebody who gets 8 A*s having gone to a school where the average is 10), I think it would be a wasted application, unfortunately. Just do well in your AS exams and then you can apply just about anywhere else. :biggrin:

Thank you i thought oxbridge was out of reach russel group would be good
Yeah.. they're good enough.
Thank you i thought oxbridge was out of reach russel group would be good

Cambridge might still be in reach since they care far more about your UMS average at the end of your AS year. They don't even specify a GCSE requirement beyond English Language at grade C, I think. Statistically speaking the average successful applicant will have at 6 or more A*s but they really aren't considered that much. Just make sure your UMS average is 90+ percent and you'll have as good a shot as anybody else.
Reply 13
With the shake up of A-levels next year im only taking 1 as level...

will this affect my predicted grades?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
With the shake up of A-levels next year im only taking 1 as level...

will this affect my predicted grades?

No, if you work hard then it shouldn't affect it at all.
Reply 16
Im completely clueless, is it the sixth form that calculates your predicted grades

Quick Reply

Latest