Turn on thread page Beta

Can you get an offer higher than your predicted grades? watch

• Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Hi,

Like many others, I bombed AS, getting CEEU in Politics, Physics, Chemistry and Maths respectively, and I will almost certainly be predicted BDD. I want to study PPE at University, which generally has quite high grade requirements.

My question is, would I be able to get offers for BBB, or BBC, or would I be better off taking a Gap year so I can apply with hopefully improved grades?

Thanks

Note: I have already enrolled for A2. I'm resitting exams, I just need to know if its worth applying to Uni this year with low predicted grades or taking a Gap year and applying with actual grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Hi,

Like many others, I bombed AS, getting CEEU in Politics, Physics, Chemistry and Maths respectively, and I will almost certainly be predicted BDD. I want to study PPE at University, which generally has quite high grade requirements. My question is, would I be able to get offers for BBB, or BBC, or would I be better off taking a Gap year so I can apply with hopefully improved grades?

Thanks
    Perhaps you'd be able to get offers from the likes of Hull or Stirling because they care more about bums on seats than anything else, but what is the point of that... Ultimately you failed 3/4 of your AS exams and will be predicted fails in 2/3 of your A-Levels. Predictions aside, how are you planning on doing significantly better in the more difficult A2s? You are expecting to achieve Cs, Bs+ in A2 having only got Es and a U at AS. Honestly you should re-take AS, perhaps consider dropping unnecessarily difficult subjects like Chemistry, Physics and Maths, which are all also completely unnecessary for a PPE application, and make it easier for A2, university and the long-term (many employers even factor A-Levels, and you don't have the excuse of having gone to anything near a failing school).
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    Perhaps you'd be able to get offers from the likes of Hull or Stirling because they care more about bums on seats than anything else, but what is the point of that... Ultimately you failed 3/4 of your AS exams and will be predicted fails in 2/3 of your A-Levels. Predictions aside, how are you planning on doing significantly better in the more difficult A2s? You are expecting to achieve Cs, Bs+ in A2 having only got Es and a U at AS. Honestly you should re-take AS, perhaps consider dropping unnecessarily difficult subjects like Chemistry, Physics and Maths, which are all also completely unnecessary for a PPE application, and make it easier for A2, university and the long-term (many employers even factor A-Levels, and you don't have the excuse of having gone to anything near a failing school).
    I've considered retaking AS. If I'm honest with myself, I should have applied myself more and I actually would have got good results. I know I'm capable of A's and B's, as I've got them in Mock exams.

After having a think to myself, I think I'll resit my AS exams along with A2 and take a gap year. That way I can do a year of work to get some money in, resit anything if necessary, and apply to Uni with my actual grades.

Thanks for the advice though Birk

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Hi,

Like many others, I bombed AS, getting CEEU in Politics, Physics, Chemistry and Maths respectively, and I will almost certainly be predicted BDD. I want to study PPE at University, which generally has quite high grade requirements. My question is, would I be able to get offers for BBB, or BBC, or would I be better off taking a Gap year so I can apply with hopefully improved grades?

Thanks
    Why did you take Physics, Chemistry and Maths if you want to do PPE?
    Drop sciences subjects and take history and economics, and resit.
    You should aim at Russell group unis (Durham, Exeter,Manchester, etc.). Don't go to Hull.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)
    Why did you take Physics, Chemistry and Maths if you want to do PPE?
    Drop sciences subjects and take history and economics, and resit.
    You should aim at Russell group unis (Durham, Exeter,Manchester, etc.). Don't go to Hull.
    I'm not considering hull at all.

Originally I wanted to study Particle Physics and Cosmology, but I had a change of heart about 3 months into AS.

I enrolled for A2 yesterday. Will edit the OP now.

I'm aiming for Lancaster and Nottingham and then 3 Unis with lower requirements most likely.

Thanks for the help though I did consider redoing the AS year but decided againat it in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.