Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been researching University options lately, specifically Civil/Structural Engineering courses as it's my desired study choice, and I have regularly come across 'Civil Engineering with Architecture' as well as 'Civil Engineering' courses?

I was just wondering whether or not anyone could identify the advantages and disadvantages of taking one course or the other? The entry requirements for both courses are the exact same as far as I can tell, so I felt knowing if one course would offer me more than the other would I would obviously go for said course.

The University I am looking at which is offering these courses the University of Glasgow, as well as the University of Edinburgh which offers a 'Structural Engineering with Architecture' course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

Looking for the same answers aswell! Anyone who does either could give us an insight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelvin_pangg)
    BUMP

Looking for the same answers aswell! Anyone who does either could give us an insight?
    Hi,
    I'm currently at Southampton and what I would say is that the first two years of your course will virtually be the same regardless of what strand you apply for. In addition, universities are flexible in terms of allowing you to choose what elements you want to have in your degree from yr 3 onwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petyou)
    Hi,
    I'm currently at Southampton and what I would say is that the first two years of your course will virtually be the same regardless of what strand you apply for. In addition, universities are flexible in terms of allowing you to choose what elements you want to have in your degree from yr 3 onwards.
    What would the difference be though, do you know at all?

ReputationRep:
    Would the one with architecture be less maths intense and more on design and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelvin_pangg)
    Would the one with architecture be less maths intense and more on design and stuff.
    Sorry for not replying earlier. If you do decide to do any engineering qualification there will be a lot of maths, regardless of whether you have architecture as part of your course.
    Doing civil engineering and architecture will definitely lead to you doing more creative things in third and fourth year.
    But as I said earlier, whichever university you end up at, you should have the flexibility to define exactly what you want your degree to be, as you go along. It isn't worth worrying about too much right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petyou)
    Sorry for not replying earlier. If you do decide to do any engineering qualification there will be a lot of maths, regardless of whether you have architecture as part of your course.
    Doing civil engineering and architecture will definitely lead to you doing more creative things in third and fourth year.
    But as I said earlier, whichever university you end up at, you should have the flexibility to define exactly what you want your degree to be, as you go along. It isn't worth worrying about too much right now.
    Well for me I'm making a decision on whether to apply for the civil eng on its own or with the architectural bit.

ReputationRep:
    I was literally at the UoG open day this weekend and I'm also applying for Civ Eng. The professor went into the differences in a lot of detail. He basically said that the "with Architecture" course is about 80% CivEng and 20% Architecture. The 20% is taught as a studio subject at the GSA. tThose 20% thare are shaved off are the water and environmental modules. The degree will help you work with structures from a design perspective, but you won't be anywhere near being a chartered architect, so it's only for those who really want to be working in a specific field. It is also much harder to get into as there are far more limited spaces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KardasDragon)
    I was literally at the UoG open day this weekend and I'm also applying for Civ Eng. The professor went into the differences in a lot of detail. He basically said that the "with Architecture" course is about 80% CivEng and 20% Architecture. The 20% is taught as a studio subject at the GSA. tThose 20% thare are shaved off are the water and environmental modules. The degree will help you work with structures from a design perspective, but you won't be anywhere near being a chartered architect, so it's only for those who really want to be working in a specific field. It is also much harder to get into as there are far more limited spaces.
    Well I think I might stick with civil engineering, my lecturer says that architects struggle to find jobs after graduating.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2016

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.