This discussion is closed.
Dam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Koloth
Just incase I'm not being clear, I mean that the majority of students taking A Levels as a whole (not individual modules) get grades of D or below.

As for your case, for individual modules it will depend on how many UMS points you have accumulated so far. It is indeed possible to pass A Level (get an E) even if you fail some modules. For Example, 3 A's on 3 Modules at AS would give you at least 240 UMS marks and an A at AS. 240 UMS marks is equal to an E at A Level thefore its possible to still get an E even if you fail the last 3 A2 modules.
Cool. I have 403 UMS points from five maths units, and just did P3 which I probably got about 0% on.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
what subjects u doibng dam?
Dam
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh and my qualifications? I got:

5 GCSES at B
4 GCSES at C

HNC in building services engineering

A-level maths result pending.
mjg
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
u going 2 uni?
Koloth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
To give you an idea of the value of UMS marks, here they are accumulated:

An A Level is marked out of a total of 600 UMS marks.
An AS Level is marked out of a total of 300 UMS marks.

480 - 600 UMS marks = A @ A Level.
420 - 479 UMS marks = B @ A Level.
360 - 419 UMS marks = C @ A Level.
300 - 359 UMS marks = D @ A Level.
240 - 299 UMS marks = E @ A Level.
240 - 300 UMS marks = A @ AS Level.
210 - 239 UMS marks = B @ AS Level.
180 - 209 UMS marks = C @ AS Level.
150 - 179 UMS marks = D @ AS Level.
120 - 149 UMS marks = E @ AS Level.
Dam
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by mjg
u going 2 uni?
Hopefully Exeter for mech engineering.
Koloth
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Dam
Cool. I have 403 UMS points from five maths units, and just did P3 which I probably got about 0% on.
403 UMS marks = C @ A Level
Koloth
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by mjg
koloth, what qualifications u got?
Pasted from my CV:

GCE Advanced Subsidiary:
Business Studies D
Biology D
Computing B
Economics C
General Studies C

Miscellaneous:
Foundation of Advanced Mathematics Merit

GCSE:
Business Studies B
Design & Technology: Graphic Products D
Double Award: Science CC
English Language C
English Literature B
French E
Information Technology A
Maths C
Religious Education (short course) C

I'm expecting much better A2 levels this summer (like ABCC/ABCD) because I did some resits on my AS modules in January (which got much better results for the AS and A2 in January) and June.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with them though not as impressive as some of the higher flyers here .
ƒlå®è®
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hey Koloth, i hope you get very good results for your A2, it seems you worked hard.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
sorry, to damage your hopes, but many people achieve the same grades in their A level or drop a grade or two ,compare to when they did their AS level.

You do get the odd increase in grades, but not often
ƒlå®è®
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
he resat is AS modules... which WILL make a big difference
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
yeh, but A2 is harder then AS, so u tend to get LOWER marks compare to when you did your AS
ƒlå®è®
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I agree about the fact that A2 is harder than AS, however i have seen many people that have not achieved the best grades at AS simply because of the big jump with detail from gcse to A-levels, therefore it comes to a shock to many students that have done their AS, many people therefore "buckle up" and work much harder the following year because then they know what they have to achieve.
Koloth
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
sorry, to damage your hopes, but many people achieve the same grades in their A level or drop a grade or two ,compare to when they did their AS level.

You do get the odd increase in grades, but not often
yeh, but A2 is harder then AS, so u tend to get LOWER marks compare to when you did your AS
Quite true but I'd like to think I'm an unusual case .

I've dropped Biology after AS as its my weakest subject.

In Computing last year I got a B (AS) with a module breakdown of A, B and C. I retook that module that I got a C in January and turned this module into a very high A (103/105 UMS marks). My teacher has said to me that I have got a good A on my computing A2 CW. Therfore I will only need 2 E's on my last 2 modules to get a B at A Level Computing or 2 B's on my last 2 modules to get a A at A Level Computing.

In Business Studies last year I got a D (AS) with only 1 UMS mark off a C. I resat a business module in January and increased my UMS marks by an extra 5. I also took 2 A2 Business Modules in January as well. It now works out that I only needed a D on the last business studies module I took this summer to get a C at A Level.

In Economics last year I got a C (AS) with a module breakdown of C, D and C. I retook the the module that I got a D in January and turned it into a B. I also took a A2 Economics module which I got a B in. Therefore I need a D and E in my last 2 modules to get a C at Economics A Level or 2 B's in my last 2 modules to get a B at Economics A Level.

General studies has pretty much been constant and I can't really be bothered to go in detail for this subject .

I'd like to think that I would will do better at these new modules than last year as I have studied a lot more harder this year and spent a lot more time revising. Though ofcourse my grades could remain the same or fall but its alweays best to be positive rather than negative .

Overall I think grades of ABCD/ABCC (A Level) are possible this year due to me working at a much higher standard despite getting BCCDD (AS Level) last year.
ƒlå®è®
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i saw this quote somewhere,
"the harder you work, the luckier you get"
good luck everyone getting results this summer, even though its alittle early
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
on the basis of that, i think u can improve on your AS results, but i am warning you, that A2 modules are alot harder then AS, i did my economics A level last year, only needed 2 E's in my A2 modules to get a C, i ended up with 2 U's, which was not surprising since i did no work at A2

Good luck anyway
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
my qualifications...for someone who spends so much time on this site i have for some reason resisted the urge to write down my results. but anyway i'm bored at the mo....

GCSEs

art- A
dual award science- AA
english- A
english lit- B
french- A
history- A
maths- A*
religious studies- A*

Keys Skills

IT level 2
Communication level 3

AS levels (not got results yet)

critical thinking
economics
maths (with stats)
psychology
religious studies: philosphy and ethics
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by ƒlå®è®
Hi, i was just wondering do short course gcse's count for anything. I mean i did 1 short course gcse in year 10, and i managed to get A* in it however it was just 1 year and its short course. So does it count up for anything?
worth half a gcse m8.
Er- are you sure?

If you took the same exam papers as those doing the same course over the two year period it should count as a full GCSE.
My school offers a 'fast track science' course- eg those good at science do the exam after one year and then do an AS in year 11. This counts as any other grade (I know this for certain as both my older siblings have done this and I will next year...)

It may be you are talking of something different but it sounds similar...

If in doubt- check it with a teacher/tutor at your school/college.

Egan
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nice set of GCSEs Lou P Lou.

They set you up well for AS results, providing you weren't complacent this year.
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
to egan i think wot hes talking about is a short course which is a one year half gcse. we did one in it - you basically do half the work in half the time ie one coursework and one exam in one year instead of 2 and 2 in 2. toy end up with half a gcse
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads