Turn on thread page Beta

Your Qualifications watch

Announcements

gcses dont matter 4 alevel. clean break innit?

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by It'sPhil...
    to egan i think wot hes talking about is a short course which is a one year half gcse. we did one in it - you basically do half the work in half the time ie one coursework and one exam in one year instead of 2 and 2 in 2. toy end up with half a gcse
    Oh ok...fair enough, appologies then

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    gcses dont matter 4 alevel. clean break innit?
    Some Unis such as LSE do look at your GCSEs.

Phil

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by PHIL
    Some Unis such as LSE do look at your GCSEs.

Phil
    Also, if you go into the UCAS system without having cashed in your AS's for whatever reason. The only thing you have got that are certain are your GCSE results.

They base their offers based on them, your personal statement, your referee, and your predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    i also beleive that courses in medicine look at ure gcse's due to the high number of candidates

They're a good set of results Koloth.

I have no respect for people here who claim to have A* grades and As. It's very difficult for anyone to even get a few B grades, let alone ten A*s.

People with nine or ten A* or As normally end up being mentioned in a national newspaper or television broadcast. Yet, on the majority of message boards, everyone claims to have all these A grades, which most of the time isn't true.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Peter
    People with nine or ten A* or As normally end up being mentioned in a national newspaper or television broadcast. Yet, on the majority of message boards, everyone claims to have all these A grades, which most of the time isn't true.
    There were about 4/5 people at my secondary school who got 9/10 A/A*s (mostly A*s in fact), and weren't mentioned on TV or press.

If you think about it, out of all the people on the board, who is most likely to publicise their results, those who got all A/A*s or those who got a more modest set of results? That's why a seemingly disproportionate amount of people seem to have extremely good grades.

Regards,

ReputationRep:

I have no respect for people here who claim to have A* grades and As. It's very difficult for anyone to even get a few B grades, let alone ten A*s.

Thanks. Its obviously likely that some people will lie on this forum because of the anonymous nature of the internet. Its so common for people so take different personaes which are totally different to themselves. Though speaking of the people with these grades of nine or ten A*, I do know a friend who has achieved this and he wasn't mentioned in any of the press.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by rahaydenuk
    There were about 4/5 people at my secondary school who got 9/10 A/A*s (mostly A*s in fact), and weren't mentioned on TV or press.

If you think about it, out of all the people on the board, who is most likely to publicise their results, those who got all A/A*s or those who got a more modest set of results? That's why a seemingly disproportionate amount of people seem to have extremely good grades.

Regards,
    Also the less academically minded are unlikely to be posting on a forum in their spare time.

ReputationRep:

Even if some people were pretending...I think there are more good students out there than you obviously give credit for. It does take hard work etc but it doesn't mean that only 1 or 2 people get top grades...
    I think there are a lot of intelligent people on this board - will you have 'no respect' for any of them because they are in a minority of high acheivers?

:P Well done and good luck to everyone for exam results...I really hope you all get where you want to go

ReputationRep:
    oops...I see I am a little slow at typing...there were no responses to that when I started...ah well *sigh*

ReputationRep:

Well excuuuuse me. You certainly are up on your high horse aren't you - I recommend if you want any level of respect on this board you start making a better impression, and stop hiding behind a guest name.

This is an education forum, you'll find alot of people here that are Oxbridge bound, and naturally there are likely to have a mint set of GCSE results.

Do you not think there is going to be a correlation between people with good sets of GCSE results, and those who will choose to be on an educational board during the Summer Vacation ?

Don't make such blanket assumptions you arrogent twit, I don't know what your GCSE results are likely to be / were, but you clearly don't have sufficient knowledge of the posters of this board "claiming" they have a good set of GCSE results, and the quality of their posts which give you a damn good indication of their capabilities.

It is quite difficult to get A*s but with the modular system in Maths and Science it is more than possible to take 4 A*s in those two alone. To get as many as 10 A*s obviously takes capability, but what would these people be gaining if they lied... think it through.

Grrrrr these unregistered posters....

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Expression
    Grrrrr these unregistered posters....
    I still feel unregistered posting should be banned, but that's just me.

If someone really has something useful to contribute, they'll take the time to register, whereas if someone is planning on posting nonsense, they might not be bothered to go through the process of registering.

ReputationRep:
    Nice set of GCSEs Lou P Lou.

They set you up well for AS results, providing you weren't complacent this year.
    thanks, hopefully i've done ok in my AS levels- i know there are a couple of modules i want to resit because i don't think i did great on them (a psychology and philosophy).

peter- i imagine you think i 'made up' my results- i didn't. i worked really hard for them. i went to a high-acheiving school and there were about 20 people (out of 100) who got all A*s/As and they weren't in national press. just look at the number of A*s awarded each year- people do get them and chances are if you're good some subjects, you're pretty good at several things.

ReputationRep:
    Well excuuuuse me. You certainly are up on your high horse aren't you... Don't make such blanket assumptions you arrogent twit...Grrrrr these unregistered posters....
    An impassioned speech to be sure...and one that again had me chuckling outloud (just couldn't help it when I got to the 'arrogant twit' stage)...

Fair points too...

As for the not-registered part tis true but atleast he named himslef...not that it couldn't be changed...ah well...

Egan

P.S- just edited it and cut out most of the quote to make the post shorter

oops...just realised I have changed the quote to similar to lou p lou 's- ah well...I havn't changed what I wrote -got there first :P

ReputationRep:
    Well excuuuuse me. You certainly are up on your high horse aren't you ...you arrogent twit...Grrrrr these unregistered posters....
    truly a classic speech and very very funny. well said!

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by lou p lou
    truly a classic speech and very very funny. well said!
    **Bows, then performs a Klinsman style celebration**

ReputationRep:
    **Bows, then performs a Klinsman style celebration**
    *throws confetti*

ReputationRep:
    Woooz confetti

**Shakes head like a wet dog trying to get rid**

Don't let this thread get overly off topic

Waiting for Peter to respond to my original thoughts on his post...

ReputationRep:
    This summer I sat my a-levels(maths,physics,statistics) but I cashed only A-levels and not AS.Are AS diplomas necessary if you have A-level diploma which is higher than AS and implies that you passed AS level?(that's because you can't have a-level if you don't do as level)
    Thanks

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.