This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Expression
Well excuuuuse me. You certainly are up on your high horse aren't you - I recommend if you want any level of respect on this board you start making a better impression, and stop hiding behind a guest name.

This is an education forum, you'll find alot of people here that are Oxbridge bound, and naturally there are likely to have a mint set of GCSE results.

Do you not think there is going to be a correlation between people with good sets of GCSE results, and those who will choose to be on an educational board during the Summer Vacation ?

Don't make such blanket assumptions you arrogent twit, I don't know what your GCSE results are likely to be / were, but you clearly don't have sufficient knowledge of the posters of this board "claiming" they have a good set of GCSE results, and the quality of their posts which give you a damn good indication of their capabilities.

It is quite difficult to get A*s but with the modular system in Maths and Science it is more than possible to take 4 A*s in those two alone. To get as many as 10 A*s obviously takes capability, but what would these people be gaining if they lied... think it through.

Grrrrr these unregistered posters....
I had a friend who worked extreamely hard at her Science course. She stayed after school for extra help, brought countless books and generally memorised everything there is to know about the subject. Come results day she got a BC grade, which in my opinion is excellent. Most people get Ds, Es and Fs.

I'm a member of countless message boards and everyone comes on saying that they've got A grades and A*s. It's extremely annoying when people do this and it devalues everyone else's hard work. I don't mean to include the people who genuinely get A grades, but all those who lie.

The Unregistered feature is great because I can post anonymously and say what I really think. If it wasn't here, then like many people, I'd keep quiet about things in fear of seeing posts like that.
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well, u cant post as an unreg in many places. the discussion goes on. theres alot for (see above) and against letting them (eg. me trawling through and deleting stupid posts)
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I apologise for the strength of my original post, and hope it didn't intimidate others.

We were simply answering a question which was the topic of the thread - what are your qualifications.

It is nice when those who work hard to achieve are duly rewarded for their efforts, and your friend clearly showed great determination.

Also, the Unregistered above, posted his/her message is a better tone than Peter did, and I was simply returning the attitude in which he posted - I'm not totally mean - just don't like guests that come on and hide behind an anon as an excuse to have an attitude

I don't think you'll find many members on here that will lie, we were here asking for support during the exam session - many of us doing A Levels, and it is clear that you aren't going to progress onto an A Level in Further Maths, for example, not having above an A at GCSE.

Theres no point in lying either, as if you post that you have xX amount of A/A*s then it is likely you are going to get queries directed to you, and it soon shows if you aren't as up to speed as you made out to be.
Koloth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
I had a friend who worked extreamely hard at her Science course. She stayed after school for extra help, brought countless books and generally memorised everything there is to know about the subject. Come results day she got a BC grade, which in my opinion is excellent. Most people get Ds, Es and Fs.

I'm a member of countless message boards and everyone comes on saying that they've got A grades and A*s. It's extremely annoying when people do this and it devalues everyone else's hard work. I don't mean to include the people who genuinely get A grades, but all those who lie.

The Unregistered feature is great because I can post anonymously and say what I really think. If it wasn't here, then like many people, I'd keep quiet about things in fear of seeing posts like that.
I do myself happen to agree with this point of view. Its not to say that I believe those that achieve straight A's are lieing or be restricted in any way. Whatever people may say, achieving qualifications requires hard work and therefore no one should feel their achievements are devalued.
Lets make no mistake, a grade is by no means the only measure of the intellience, success or potential of a person. We do not all start with the same backgrounds and privileges. Some will go to very good schools, have a supportive stable family enviroment, families that are very well educated and able to help their children with their learning and some will have parents with high earnings that will be able to support them with books, university funding etc...
I happen to be in a single parent family with a below average income. I rarely see or speak to my father because of personal reasons. I also went to a below average school and come from a family that has never had any experience in higher education let alone further education. Yet I'm proud of what grades I have achieved and even more when I start university. Despite the advantages and disadvantages I may have had I have still achieved qualifications that I am happy with. I'm sure there are other people that have are in better or worser situation than me and have been able to achieve better or worser grades than me because of this. All I'm trying to say here (again) is that a grade is by no means the only measure of the intellience, success or potential of a person. Some may believe that these grade postings can imply this. For example we never see threads titled as "Your circumstances".
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
All I'm trying to say here (again) is that a grade is by no means the only measure of the intellience, success or potential of a person
what to say??! apart from i agree!
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think hard work is important at GCSEs but only to some extent - loads of ppl at my school (including me) cruised through and did hardly any work and still came out with decent grades whilst others who were just naturally less intelligent worked harder and get poorer grades.

At my school we had a bunch of ppl (maybe 10) who ended up with less than 3 Cs at GCSE and about 20 who got all A/A*s. My mate even got the highest mark in the country at DT and hes a complete stoner...

Anywho i think it doesn't matter what other people get you should judge your grades against your own potential. If you think your capable of getting Cs and you get Ds you should be dissapointed, but if you get Cs and Bs you have done very well. On the other hand someone who should be getting all A*s and gets A/Bs should be dissapointed - they have not acheived their potential.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Good point.

Phil
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sorry bout that, forgot to log in.

Phil
Fairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I took the trouble to register, ive been reading the board and posting for weeks!! oh well....

Back to the a*/A debate, if someone lies that is only there problem i didnt get a*'s at gcse. I wrote earlier in this topic that i got 1A, 3B, 6C at GCSE ( after getting D in my maths, i had to resit it a few times ) and 1A,2B and 1C at AS level. Im proud of my results. It doesnt matter if somene got 10 D-G's ( im not devaluing them!) or all A*'s. People worked hard for the grades they got and if you are clever enough to get all A's then well done. Just be proud of yourself and dont stress about what others got.
O/T Its like on results day when the people you hated all year come up and ask what you got, that really annoys me, but the look on their face is great when you did better than they did lol!

Bye!
FairyDust
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Peter
They're a good set of results Koloth.

People with nine or ten A* or As normally end up being mentioned in a national newspaper or television broadcast. Yet, on the majority of message boards, everyone claims to have all these A grades, which most of the time isn't true.
Personally I don't think anyone is lying what would be the point. If you consider that a lot of people on this board are either going to oxbridge, are oxbridge rejects or want to go to oxbridge it's not really unreasonable that most people have done well in ther GCSes.

Having said that though, often the people that get the top grades are usually the people that coasted though. (don't get me wrong I know lots of people worked really hard for their grades. Personally i made the effort during the 2 years but then did sod all revision) However, at my school,i think the people on the c/d boarderline actually worked the hardest.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by emom100
Having said that though, often the people that get the top grades are usually the people that coasted though. (don't get me wrong I know lots of people worked really hard for their grades. Personally i made the effort during the 2 years but then did sod all revision) However, at my school,i think the people on the c/d boarderline actually worked the hardest.
I do understand your point but I don't think effort or how hard one has worked should be based on how well one revises!
I know I am rubbish with revision in general (any tips anyone?)- but I work bl**dy hard during the year to get good grades etc for assessments and coursework etc...(although I do tend to leave things to 'the night before' - need the pressure to perform!)...ok so I have not yet done me GCSEs yet but with coursework I work hard (and get it in one time unlike some of my fellow students!)...erm-having said this my point is not well made...erm...? Basically- I know loads of people getting not-so-good grades work really hard etc...but alot of them are people who I am sure are just as intelligent as those in higher sets- but have bad attitudes/don't put in any effort etc...oh dear- I can't seem to put my thoughts into words...*gives up*

Anywho...hope I got the basic jist across- am bizarrely tired so may have to re-read and possibly edit this tomorrow when I am more...focused!

*mumbles into eventual silence*

Egan
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i know im way behind this conversation, but i worked my arse off for all my results, so its not all ways the coasters who get good grades.

gcse

maths (a year early ) a*
welsh a*
geog a*
physics a
chem a
biology a
german a
re a
english a
english lit b

as
welsh a
geog a (with the aid of resits)
phyisics a(with the aid of resits)
maths a
law (pending)

a levels

maths, phys and psycholgy (all pending)

others
cacdp stage 1 sign language.

love Katy ***
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i know that lots of people worked really hard and deserved the grades they got (including myself). I'll also admit that effort isn't just about revision and that those that worked really hard during the year probably got the best results. However, on results day i was made to feel guilty becasue I just crammed and came out with good grades. Whereas lots of my friends spent months and months revising and didn't necessarily achieve. Everyone called me a waster but I still think i worked hard during the 2 years.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
i know im way behind this conversation, but i worked my arse off for all my results, so its not all ways the coasters who get good grades.

gcse

maths (a year early ) a*
welsh a*
geog a*
physics a
chem a
biology a
german a
re a
english a
english lit b

as
welsh a
maths a
law (pending)

a levels

others

love Katy ***
Impressive Katy, good to see that hard work is rewarded.
Penny
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
gcse

english A*, english lit A*, media studies A*, drama A*, art A*, maths A*, science A*A*, history A*,geography A*, french A, business A*

as level

maths A
chemistry A
biology A
german A
physics A

a2

still waiting
LittleMissSmile
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
7 A*s and 2 As for GCSE
3 As and 1 B for AS level

awaitin results for phys maths eng a2 level, very worried tho! i wont bore u with gcse subjects cos im sure u dont really care!! xo x
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
yeh, but A2 is harder then AS, so u tend to get LOWER marks compare to when you did your AS
No, not always.

My AS Marks:

247, 264, 235, 295

My A2 Marks:

281, 274, 258, 292
Icarus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)

gcse

maths (a year early ) a*
welsh a*

as
welsh a
maths a
law (pending)

a levels

others

love Katy ***
Wow, a year early? And an A* in Welsh? I remember it was quite hard, only got a C in the end.

And you know sign language as well??? Blimey.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Time to gloat to a bunch of random strangers...

GCSE
A* - English
A* - English Literature
A* - Maths
A* - Double Science
A* - French
A* - Geography
A* - IT & Business
A* - Music (age 14)
A - Graphic Products

A LEVEL
A - Maths
A - English Lit
A - Geography
A - General Studies (100 100 100 100 95 92)

OXFORD
2:1 in 1st yr

...and I have a life...honest. lol
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
33.96%
No (523)
66.04%

Watched Threads