College and anxiety... Watch

binkierose
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi!

So I'll be starting college in September. I'm really stressed because I suffer from panic attacks, constant low level anxiety and irrational phobia.

If affected me badly in high school, and that mixed with bullying prevented me from going to school much and affected my exams.

College is aware of this but I'm not sure they understand the severity of my anxiety - some days I can't even get out of bed..

Also, I cannot sit in a hall to take exams. I physically can't do it, my anxiety goes crazy and I have to leave. In high school I took my exams in a separate classroom, with a teacher supervising. Does anyone know if this is possible to do in college/at A-Level?

Also, if anyone has any tips for coping with college and anxiety, please let me know!

It doesn't help I don't know anyone at the college I'll be attending

Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheThiefOfBagdad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
People at college are a lot less likely to be ****bags than the people you went to school with; the atmosphere will be supportive from students and staff alike.
There will be a lot of students in the same boat as you, not knowing anyone else, and, even though things might feel awkward for you, it will be awkward for them too.
I'm sure your college will be able to answer any questions or concerns you have and you will almost certainly have access to a therapist of some description.

College is a place for you to grow as a person. I know it may seem hollow to say this, but try not to take it all so seriously.
Badges: 8
Report 4 years ago
Just be you be happy work hard enjoy yourself and **** everything and everyone else!!! 😊😊 im off to university in a few weeks im excited ive struggled to get to where i am today but with God Ive made it 😊😊😀😀 and you can too get to where you want to in life because your a smart beautiful kind girl 😊😊 dont care what people think of you i used to get bullied because i have autism and i wear glasses i still have autism and not so much wear glasses lol but i am who i am and i tell everyone i meet i have autism i love it so darlin love yourself !!!! 😊😊😊😍😍😍😛😛 😛😛 message me if you wanna talk 😁😁😁😁😚😚😚😘 😘😘 chin up and stuck that buttt!!!! 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁 😁
username2118509
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's possible to sit your exams in a separate room in college - I was on the same boat as you and this was what my maths teacher had offered me (though in the end I was still placed in the big hall..). Just make sure to ask and remind you teachers about it.
I don't think you should worry so much about bullying in college - you will be around lots of new people and chances are you won't see any more than a handful of people from your school on a daily basis. I myself didn't make any friends at college, but people were always very friendly and helpful, so I hope that puts your mind at ease at least slightly.
JessThomas6
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm starting sixth form in September and I have anxiety as well, it's not as bad as yours but it's still really bad, my secondary school gave us time out cards to let us out of lessons but at sixth form we don't have that😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You should be fine with getting those exam arrangements. I have anxiety and did my exams in a separate room when I was at university in the UK. You might need to supply a letter from your doctor but it won't be a problem. if you have anything like depression or poor concentration because of other mental health problems you should be able to get other allowances - for example extra time or extensions on deadlines which you may find very helpful too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (353)
46.26%
No (81)
10.62%
I'm not old enough (329)
43.12%

Watched Threads