Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I recently posted two threads about my concerns over unintentionally plagiarism in my dissertation submission.

I had another look over my document, and it seems the entry in my ref list that I thought was missing is actually there, however, in another case, I use a direct quote three times; but instead of putting a ref entry in the references list- I put it in my bibliography.

Is this deemed a formatting error/ poor academic issue over a plagiarism case?

I can't let it go, it's bothering me!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by royal1990)
    Hi, I recently posted two threads about my concerns over unintentionally plagiarism in my dissertation submission.

I had another look over my document, and it seems the entry in my ref list that I thought was missing is actually there, however, in another case, I use a direct quote three times; but instead of putting a ref entry in the references list- I put it in my bibliography.

I would personally think they d consider it a formating error as you ve acknowledged using that source somewhere in your work even if its in the wrong list rather than it being palgarism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I would personally think they d consider it a formating error as you ve acknowledged using that source somewhere in your work even if its in the wrong list rather than it being palgarism
    I mean, for example, in one other instance, I put the name of an author and then rather than out a page number I put the appendix in, which refers further to this author and then I have a ref at end also. I dunno, I keep spotting errors, and it worries me..I was so stressed out and tired at submission times. I dread failure, I absolutely dread it.

I'd much rather them deduct points, off me than accuse me of plagiarism. I honestly don't mind passing at 40%, even though I'm gutted I'll narrowly miss a 2:1, but at least I'll get a damn degree. Most of my grades have Been high 60s and 70s so it's a real shame, but what's done is done.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I mean, for example, in one other instance, I put the name of an author and then rather than out a page number I put the appendix in, which refers further to this author and then I have a ref at end also. I dunno, I keep spotting errors, and it worries me..I was so stressed out and tired at submission times. I dread failure, I absolutely dread it.

I'd much rather them deduct points, off me than accuse me of plagiarism. I honestly don't mind passing at 40%, even though I'm gutted I'll narrowly miss a 2:1, but at least I'll get a damn degree. Most of my grades have Been high 60s and 70s so it's a real shame, but what's done is done.
    It's easy to want to panic when something's now out of your control but as you ve not blatantly attempted to plagiarise anything, I presume you'll only lose marks that they allocate to formatting or structure so can't imagine it would make you lose more than a few percent so please don't panic too much

Some uni's have rules where they disregard your worst grade or use different ways to calculate a a an APM so stay positive don't lose hope for that 2:1:)

ReputationRep:
    It's easy to want to panic when something's now out of your control but as you ve not blatantly attempted to plagiarise anything, I presume you'll only lose marks that they allocate to formatting or structure so can't imagine it would make you lose more than a few percent so please don't panic too much

Some uni's have rules where they disregard your worst grade or use different ways to calculate a a an APM so stay positive don't lose hope for that 2:1:)
    Thanks for your positivity I'm really low at the moment, as this stress is causing me problems in my personal life and my partner, as well as other interpersonal issues. I just don't want to fail because I've inadvertently plagiarised.

Admittedly, my dissertation for the last few weeks was rushed; due to me been depressed for a long time, periods of on/off commitment and just general fatigue, so I guess it's inevitable I've made mistakes, and this is a resit as 1st sit for me, so it's important I nail it. Just I hope the mistakes aren't ones that cost me.

If I score 55% I'd be over the moon. Because I only need 53 to scrape a 2:1 since my grades have been stellar right the way through until recently.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Thanks for your positivity I'm really low at the moment, as this stress is causing me problems in my personal life and my partner, as well as other interpersonal issues. I just don't want to fail because I've inadvertently plagiarised.

Admittedly, my dissertation for the last few weeks was rushed; due to me been depressed for a long time, periods of on/off commitment and just general fatigue, so I guess it's inevitable I've made mistakes, and this is a resit as 1st sit for me, so it's important I nail it. Just I hope the mistakes aren't ones that cost me.

If I score 55% I'd be over the moon. Because I only need 53 to scrape a 2:1 since my grades have been stellar right the way through until recently.
    Hope things get better for you soon:console:
    Have you spoken to your gp? There's a mental health support society in the mental health section if that helps in any way. You're welcome to Pm me for a chat, can't promise I d be much help but the offers there
    If you re normally on 60's and 70's, I really doubt your formatting errors would make you drop to low 50's, try to take your mind off it until you get your grade back, maybe find something simple to treat yourself even if it takes your mind of it for a couple of hours?

ReputationRep:
    Hope things get better for you soon:console:
    Have you spoken to your gp? There's a mental health support society in the mental health section if that helps in any way. You're welcome to Pm me for a chat, can't promise I d be much help but the offers there
    If you re normally on 60's and 70's, I really doubt your formatting errors would make you drop to low 50's, try to take your mind off it until you get your grade back, maybe find something simple to treat yourself even if it takes your mind of it for a couple of hours?
    It's just the notion I can't do anything about it, yet I'm still rigorously checking the Word document now, and also I don't know when I'll receive my grades.

I've been working a lot lately which is okay I guess, can't really say I'm on this planet when I am working, I'm physically here but not mentally. Also, I have a massive phone bill to pay off which was unexpected and also me and fiancee arguing a lot and getting distant. Starting to get really ill.

I know this isn't the right thread for this mention, I see a therapist weekly, and still no real improvement. Perhaps I should try to get back on meds.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    It's just the notion I can't do anything about it, yet I'm still rigorously checking the Word document now, and also I don't know when I'll receive my grades.

I've been working a lot lately which is okay I guess, can't really say I'm on this planet when I am working, I'm physically here but not mentally. Also, I have a massive phone bill to pay off which was unexpected and also me and fiancee arguing a lot and getting distant. Starting to get really ill.

I know this isn't the right thread for this mention, I see a therapist weekly, and still no real improvement. Perhaps I should try to get back on meds.
    If you feel like its not helping, go back to your Gp or CPN or community mental health team (if you have either of those) and ask to consider changing your treatment, different things work for different people after all Definetly make a post in the mental health section, there's many users whou could be more helpful than i am in there

I guess just try and focus on what you can do rather than worrying about what's done, hopefully they ll mark your dissertation for you ASAP

ReputationRep:
    Not to be an amateur shrink, but I've been in a similar situation and the worry over a diss which you clearly no longer have control of, sounds like classic displacement activity for the other things which appear to be out of control. Mention it to your therapist - I suspect it may be part of the problem.

Therapy insn't a quick fix and for many of us, and meds just paper over the cracks. I found that sticking with the therapy was worth it. There was no miracle cure, but when I look back at the bad times, that was the point at which the grey fog started to lift.

Good luck - and step away from the diss!!

ReputationRep:

Having the same exact problems and i can't even sleep at night. Submitted last week and checked the turn it in % it says 31%. The highest is 2% from an journal which i have always properly cited intext. But as i read through i realise I have forgot to cite 2 sentences that I paraphrased from a journal article. Since then I havnt been able to eat or sleep all i think about is getting an ordinary degree as they will fail my dissertation or give it a 0. My life is seriously going to end.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by LTY0502)
    Having the same exact problems and i can't even sleep at night. Submitted last week and checked the turn it in % it says 31%. The highest is 2% from an journal which i have always properly cited intext. But as i read through i realise I have forgot to cite 2 sentences that I paraphrased from a journal article. Since then I havnt been able to eat or sleep all i think about is getting an ordinary degree as they will fail my dissertation or give it a 0. My life is seriously going to end.
    Try not to bump old threads. If it was just 2 sentences, then you could inform your PT so you are on record of pointing it out before they do so to you. Doesnt seem serious to me plus as you havent been called in before, then if they even bothered it would be a warning.

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.