Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So ive finished my gcses (3 A*s and 8 As!!) and the subjects ive chosen for A level are biology, geography, psychology and media (only to AS) so my subjects to A2 will be Biology, geography and psychology. However i was thinking of applying to Oxford to study either human sciences or psychology, do you think these subjects will be ok considering psychology isnt a 'facilitating' subject??? but say i got As and A*s in all of them, would i still be able to get in??? if psychology isnt good enough i may take chemistry, but people keep telling me how chemistry a level makes them want to die hahaha so the thought of taking it scares me considering how stressed i got at gcse!! (although i did get A* in chemistry gcse).

ReputationRep:
    If you're applying to study Psychology then you should obviously take Psychology at A level! It's still a pretty strong subject even if it isn't as strong as, say, Chemistry. Why don't you email Oxford admissions and ask their opinion? They'd probably be happy to tell you their preferred combinations of subjects for their courses.

I took Chemistry A level and got an A in it, so I'm a biased source, but I found it much less stressful than some of my other courses. It's hard work, but not too hard. However, if it made you stressed at GCSE then you may be better taking something else as obviously A level is harder and hence more stressful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeFailFish)
    If you're applying to study Psychology then you should obviously take Psychology at A level! It's still a pretty strong subject even if it isn't as strong as, say, Chemistry. Why don't you email Oxford admissions and ask their opinion? They'd probably be happy to tell you their preferred combinations of subjects for their courses.

I took Chemistry A level and got an A in it, so I'm a biased source, but I found it much less stressful than some of my other courses. It's hard work, but not too hard. However, if it made you stressed at GCSE then you may be better taking something else as obviously A level is harder and hence more stressful.
    thank you i will email them!! do you think taking media as a 4th option is a bad choice, considering oxford only ask for 3 a levels???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethgrace99)
    thank you i will email them!! do you think taking media as a 4th option is a bad choice, considering oxford only ask for 3 a levels???
    It's a weaker subject than some, but as you're dropping it after AS I don't think it would be a major issue - and it's far from the weakest A level out there.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.