Turn on thread page Beta

Zoology Graduate looking for field experience watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am currently planning a long trip to Asia and Australia next year and am looking for an opportunities to get some hands on experience in marine conservation, ecology, fisheries.. basically anything marine related before applying for Masters.

If anyone has any information regarding any PhD students who might be carrying out their research somewhere around SE Asia and need a bit of help on the field, it would be greatly appreciated. I would also be interested in any local organisations that might need some help.. without a hefty 'donation'. I don't mind volunteering however cannot really afford to go through companies such as Frontier and Operations Wallacea.

Any help would be great,

Thank you!

Cheryl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zebraempire)
    Hi everyone,

I am currently planning a long trip to Asia and Australia next year and am looking for an opportunities to get some hands on experience in marine conservation, ecology, fisheries.. basically anything marine related before applying for Masters.

If anyone has any information regarding any PhD students who might be carrying out their research somewhere around SE Asia and need a bit of help on the field, it would be greatly appreciated. I would also be interested in any local organisations that might need some help.. without a hefty 'donation'. I don't mind volunteering however cannot really afford to go through companies such as Frontier and Operations Wallacea.

Any help would be great,

Thank you!

Cheryl
    Just ring up/email charities over there directly.

Also try ZSL, especially CP (conservation projects).

Can you dive? If not you might want to make that your first step.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zebraempire)
    Hi everyone,

Any help would be great,

Thank you!

Cheryl
    Is your priority the trip to Asia/Oz or the field experience? If it's the trip then, as has already been mentioned, contact some local charities and keep an eye on ecology job boards (TAMU, OSNA has stuff in Oz for birds occasionally, and whatever marine ones there are...) but don't be too surprised if you don't find much. As someone who runs a monitoring project in the UK, someone 'helping out' usually takes more in training/management time than I get benefit - unless you are going to commit for at least a few months. That is why most overseas projects charge a fee - the real benefit they get from the volunteers is the cash.

Alternatively, if the field experience is the priority widen your search and build a trip around what you find - or do it in the UK and go on holiday separately.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.