Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,
    I know it's the holidays, but I recently got my chemistry AS grades back and well.... it wasn't good.
    I'm on OCR A and I have no idea how to do practical work AT ALL.
    throughout GCSEs and AS I have always got lower than on the exams.
    Does anyone know how to revise for them, or understand them, just anything really as I always have to redo it.

Thanks
    Libby
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by castl021.302)
    Hi Guys,
    I know it's the holidays, but I recently got my chemistry AS grades back and well.... it wasn't good.
    Does anyone know how to revise for them, or understand them, just anything really as I always have to redo it.

Thanks
    Libby
    Libby, don't worry that you didn't do as well in your practical as you had hoped, many people struggle as it is their first time doing "proper" lab work. If you are worried, we run a 4 day AS Chemistry and 4 day A2 Chemistry workshop in our labs in Pembrokeshire College, you get experience in the lab and you also sit the practical assessment at the end (meaning you can use that grade towards your AS or A2) A lot of students in your position find it the best way for them to get the grades in the lab.

AS Chemistry Workshop

A2 Chemistry Workshop

If you would like any more info or have some questions, give me a shout

M

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearnOnline)
    Libby, don't worry that you didn't do as well in your practical as you had hoped, many people struggle as it is their first time doing "proper" lab work. If you are worried, we run a 4 day AS Chemistry and 4 day A2 Chemistry workshop in our labs in Pembrokeshire College, you get experience in the lab and you also sit the practical assessment at the end (meaning you can use that grade towards your AS or A2) A lot of students in your position find it the best way for them to get the grades in the lab.

AS Chemistry Workshop

A2 Chemistry Workshop

If you would like any more info or have some questions, give me a shout

M
    So does the practical assessment we sit actually go towards our grades and how many practical assessments do we get to sit in the end?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Thanks
    Libby
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    So does the practical assessment we sit actually go towards our grades and how many practical assessments do we get to sit in the end?
    Hi there,

At the AS Chemistry Practical Workshop you would complete the necessary practical activities to satisfy the practical module of the OCR A Chemistry AS level - so you would get a grade at the end of the session which would make up 20% of your overall mark - we would send your mark to your school and to OCR so that it would be added to your student number.

Matt
    LearnOnline
    Unit 3: Practical Skills in Chemistry 1 – Unit code F323This unit is worth up to 20% of the total AS marks [40 marks]

Content Summary
    This unit assesses practical and investigative skills developed within contexts encountered during AS chemistry.

Assessment
    Candidates are required to carry out three tasks:
    • Qualitative task [10 marks]
    • Quantitative task [15 marks]
    • Evaluative task [15 marks]
    Tasks will be chosen from a selection provided by OCR.
    The Qualitative and Quantitative tasks will test skills of observation and measurement.
    Candidates will carry out these tasks under controlled conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearnOnline)
    Hi there,

At the AS Chemistry Practical Workshop you would complete the necessary practical activities to satisfy the practical module of the OCR A Chemistry AS level - so you would get a grade at the end of the session which would make up 20% of your overall mark - we would send your mark to your school and to OCR so that it would be added to your student number.

Matt
    LearnOnline
    Unit 3: Practical Skills in Chemistry 1 – Unit code F323This unit is worth up to 20% of the total AS marks [40 marks]

Content Summary
    This unit assesses practical and investigative skills developed within contexts encountered during AS chemistry.

Assessment
    Candidates are required to carry out three tasks:
    • Qualitative task [10 marks]
    • Quantitative task [15 marks]
    • Evaluative task [15 marks]
    Tasks will be chosen from a selection provided by OCR.
    The Qualitative and Quantitative tasks will test skills of observation and measurement.
    Candidates will carry out these tasks under controlled conditions.
    Thank you. May I ask what the pass/(B to A) grade rates do you normally have for AS and A2 bio and chemistry please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Thanks
    Libby

(Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    Thank you. May I ask what the pass/(B to A) grade rates do you normally have for AS and A2 bio and chemistry please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have used our 2015 results for the calculations below - If you have any questions, just ask

Chemistry Unit 3 - AS Practical = 90% scored grade B or higher
    Chemistry Unit 6 - A2 Practical = 92% scored grade B or higher
    Biology Unit 3 - AS Practical = 50% scored grade B or higher
    Biology Unit 6 - A2 Practical = 78% scored grade B or higherHope these help

If you would like more info, or have questions, let me know

Matt
    LearnOnline

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was just looking at the website. I am also looking for places to do my Physics and Chemistry practicals, I would have to sit OCR Chemistry and Physics. How exactly would this work? I know some practicals include paper work and exactly sitting an exam so would the student come into the building or?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    Hey, I was just looking at the website. I am also looking for places to do my Physics and Chemistry practicals, I would have to sit OCR Chemistry and Physics. How exactly would this work? I know some practicals include paper work and exactly sitting an exam so would the student come into the building or?
    Hi,

Taking your practical with LearnOnline is easy

You would attend one of our workshops and at the end you would be assessed and graded. If there is any coursework/paperwork to complete, you have a few weeks to write this up and submit it to us for marking.

There are still a few places left on our Chemistry Workshops if you are interested?

Matt
    LearnOnline

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.