The Student Room Group

Practicals

Hi Guys,
I know it's the holidays, but I recently got my chemistry AS grades back and well.... it wasn't good.
I'm on OCR A and I have no idea how to do practical work AT ALL.
throughout GCSEs and AS I have always got lower than on the exams.
Does anyone know how to revise for them, or understand them, just anything really as I always have to redo it.

Thanks
Libby
Original post by castl021.302
Hi Guys,
I know it's the holidays, but I recently got my chemistry AS grades back and well.... it wasn't good.
Does anyone know how to revise for them, or understand them, just anything really as I always have to redo it.

Thanks
Libby

Libby, don't worry that you didn't do as well in your practical as you had hoped, many people struggle as it is their first time doing "proper" lab work. If you are worried, we run a 4 day AS Chemistry and 4 day A2 Chemistry workshop in our labs in Pembrokeshire College, you get experience in the lab and you also sit the practical assessment at the end (meaning you can use that grade towards your AS or A2) A lot of students in your position find it the best way for them to get the grades in the lab.

AS Chemistry Workshop

A2 Chemistry Workshop

If you would like any more info or have some questions, give me a shout

M
Hi Guys,

Thanks
Libby

Hi there,

At the AS Chemistry Practical Workshop you would complete the necessary practical activities to satisfy the practical module of the OCR A Chemistry AS level - so you would get a grade at the end of the session which would make up 20% of your overall mark - we would send your mark to your school and to OCR so that it would be added to your student number.

Matt
LearnOnline
Unit 3: Practical Skills in Chemistry 1 Unit code F323This unit is worth up to 20% of the total AS marks [40 marks]

Content Summary
This unit assesses practical and investigative skills developed within contexts encountered during AS chemistry.

Assessment
Candidates are required to carry out three tasks:

Qualitative task [10 marks]

Quantitative task [15 marks]

Evaluative task [15 marks]

Tasks will be chosen from a selection provided by OCR.
The Qualitative and Quantitative tasks will test skills of observation and measurement.
Candidates will carry out these tasks under controlled conditions.
Hi Guys,

Thanks
Libby

I have used our 2015 results for the calculations below - If you have any questions, just ask :smile:

Chemistry Unit 3 - AS Practical = 90% scored grade B or higher
Chemistry Unit 6 - A2 Practical = 92% scored grade B or higher
Biology Unit 3 - AS Practical = 50% scored grade B or higher
Biology Unit 6 - A2 Practical = 78% scored grade B or higherHope these help :smile:

If you would like more info, or have questions, let me know

Matt
LearnOnline
Hey, I was just looking at the website. I am also looking for places to do my Physics and Chemistry practicals, I would have to sit OCR Chemistry and Physics. How exactly would this work? I know some practicals include paper work and exactly sitting an exam so would the student come into the building or?
Original post by Cherry82
Hey, I was just looking at the website. I am also looking for places to do my Physics and Chemistry practicals, I would have to sit OCR Chemistry and Physics. How exactly would this work? I know some practicals include paper work and exactly sitting an exam so would the student come into the building or?

Hi,

Taking your practical with LearnOnline is easy :smile:

You would attend one of our workshops and at the end you would be assessed and graded. If there is any coursework/paperwork to complete, you have a few weeks to write this up and submit it to us for marking.

There are still a few places left on our Chemistry Workshops if you are interested?

Matt
LearnOnline

Quick Reply

Latest