Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will be studying Hispanic studies and linguistics at Queen Mary this fall and want to know the books i should buy right now.
    Also some knowledge from former students regarding how many exams there will be and the exam to coursework ratio e.g. is it continuous coursework and are exams at the end of the year or end of every term?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by khadash97)
    I will be studying Hispanic studies and linguistics at Queen Mary this fall and want to know the books i should buy right now.
    Also some knowledge from former students regarding how many exams there will be and the exam to coursework ratio e.g. is it continuous coursework and are exams at the end of the year or end of every term?
    Hi, I won't be studying at this university, but I was wondering if you've checked their website? Often universities have lists of modules and recommended/required reading, which will guide you towards what you should buy. Sometimes it's not necessary to buy everything before you start, but getting a few key materials is always a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dougieowner)
    Hi, I won't be studying at this university, but I was wondering if you've checked their website? Often universities have lists of modules and recommended/required reading, which will guide you towards what you should buy. Sometimes it's not necessary to buy everything before you start, but getting a few key materials is always a good idea.
    Hi, I have checked the website and the course specifically there, but they only give an overview of the course and say nothing about the material needed
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by khadash97)
    Hi, I have checked the website and the course specifically there, but they only give an overview of the course and say nothing about the material needed
    If they don't specify anything on their website, they'll either inform you at some point about a reading list or just tell you about it when you get there. At a lot of universities you can get cheaper versions of second-hand books, and since foreign books are quite expensive to buy anyway, you might be able to do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dougieowner)
    If they don't specify anything on their website, they'll either inform you at some point about a reading list or just tell you about it when you get there. At a lot of universities you can get cheaper versions of second-hand books, and since foreign books are quite expensive to buy anyway, you might be able to do that
    Thank you, that's more comforting

ReputationRep:
    Essential reading for linguistics in general would be books written by David Crystal. He's the guru when it comes to this subject. No matter what the reading list says, if you are studying linguistics, this guy is essential reading. I read one of his entitled "how language works". It was an excellent grounding in the subject and covered many key aspects of how we learn, why we learn, evolution of language, problems with language, dialects and language families etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 26, 2015

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.