Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, so i just got my GCSE results and they were pretty average. Now i go to an underachieving school so compared to a lot of people my results were great. I am going to take: bio, chem, psychology and government and politics and general studies for as level. I got an A at GCSE for Bio and Chem and i love the subjects. Next year i am going to a great school were pretty much everyone got A's and A*'s for their results for everything. I know that i will have to work so much harder than i did and I'm prepared for that.

I want to do medicine at a top 10 university but when i went for my interview at my new school my teacher said that medicine may not be an option. Hypothetically if I were to get really good results for AS and A level eg. A*,A*,A would i be able to get into the courses that i want. Do they look at GCSE's that much, I've been looking at the medicine courses at Exeter and they look brilliant is that not longer an option?

ReputationRep:
    You get more UCAS points at some unis for getting better grades at an underachieving school, so I think you'll still be in with a chance =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BestWingmanEver;[url="tel:58790461")
    58790461[/url]]You get more UCAS points at some unis for getting better grades at an underachieving school, so I think you'll still be in with a chance =)

No medical school apart from Barts uses UCAS points and they don't prescribe extra UCAS points if you go to an underachieving school. Some medical schools do make contextual offers though e.g. St George's may make a conditional offer of BBC for medicine if you go to an absolutely terrible school. Bristol may also offer AAB instead of AAA

(Original post by sharan77)
    Hello, so i just got my GCSE results and they were pretty average. Now i go to an underachieving school so compared to a lot of people my results were great. I am going to take: bio, chem, psychology and government and politics and general studies for as level. I got an A at GCSE for Bio and Chem and i love the subjects. Next year i am going to a great school were pretty much everyone got A's and A*'s for their results for everything. I know that i will have to work so much harder than i did and I'm prepared for that.

I want to do medicine at a top 10 university but when i went for my interview at my new school my teacher said that medicine may not be an option. Hypothetically if I were to get really good results for AS and A level eg. A*,A*,A would i be able to get into the courses that i want. Do they look at GCSE's that much, I've been looking at the medicine courses at Exeter and they look brilliant is that not longer an option?
    OP immediately forget about the notion of a "top ten" Medical school - all medical schools are brilliant and your decision of which one to apply to should not be based solely on supposed prestige.

If your GCSE aren't that great then avoid the medical schools which put a lot of emphasis on GCSE - Oxford, Birmingham, Liverpool. Cardiff, Bristol, kcl etc

Apply to medical schools which don't even look at GCSE e.g. Barts, Newcastle, Durham etc. so long as you got your B in English language and maths you will be fine. I don't think Exeter looks at GCSE much btw

What's more important now is your performance in your a levels, aptitude tests, and personal statement. Don't let your teachers put you off - if you really want medicine then you can get it

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brownclown)
    No medical school apart from Barts uses UCAS points and they don't prescribe extra UCAS points if you go to an underachieving school. Some medical schools do make contextual offers though e.g. St George's may make a conditional offer of BBC for medicine if you go to an absolutely terrible school. Bristol may also offer AAB instead of AAA

OP immediately forget about the notion of a "top ten" Medical school - all medical schools are brilliant and your decision of which one to apply to should not be based solely on supposed prestige.

If your GCSE aren't that great then avoid the medical schools which put a lot of emphasis on GCSE - Oxford, Birmingham, Liverpool. Cardiff, Bristol, kcl etc

Apply to medical schools which don't even look at GCSE e.g. Barts, Newcastle, Durham etc. so long as you got your B in English language and maths you will be fine. I don't think Exeter looks at GCSE much btw

What's more important now is your performance in your a levels, aptitude tests, and personal statement. Don't let your teachers put you off - if you really want medicine then you can get it

Good luck
    Ah okay. I thought Birmingham did too. I stand corrected!

ReputationRep:

It's becoming more common for unis to use a GCSE 'points system' - e.g. they give 2 points for an A or A* and 1 point for a B and you need 15 points out of 9 subjects. If you don't have good enough GCSE results for that then do your research and avoid all the unis that do that. Plenty of medical schools care more about AS grades and your personal statement and BMAT/ UKCAT than your GCSEs - so identify those and play to your strengths when you apply. But bare in mind that medicine is competitive and you'll be applying against people with straight A*s - you still have a chance but you're not the most competitive applicant out there.

On a side note, Exeter looks at GCSEs less than some other medical schools and cares more about the UKCAT and AS levels, so it may be a good choice for you if you like it!

ReputationRep:

Some Uni's don't really look at GCSE grades much, what did you get exactly. I would switch out the government and politics to another science/maths to stand a better chance and be more competitive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BestWingmanEver)
    Ah okay. I thought Birmingham did too. I stand corrected!
    Birmingham requires A*s in all but one of Maths, Double/Triple Science, English Lit and English Lang, with an A in the last. They're really GCSE heavy!

Most of the necessary advice has already been given so I'll just leave this link here for you to see which medical schools to apply for in a year's time (the ones that don't care about GCSEs): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...your_Strengths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley Williams)
    Some Uni's don't really look at GCSE grades much, what did you get exactly. I would switch out the government and politics to another science/maths to stand a better chance and be more competitive
    I got A* in history, A in bio, chem, maths, english lang, english lit, B in re, physics, music and statistics and a C in french

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeFailFish)
    Birmingham requires A*s in all but one of Maths, Double/Triple Science, English Lit and English Lang, with an A in the last. They're really GCSE heavy!
    Wow, didn't realise they valued GCSE's that much!

ReputationRep:

I'm honestly in the same situation as you and I'm also taking the same subjects you are (apart from Government and Politics). The sch I went to was a terrible school where most people got very low pass rates. Only me and my group of friends did 'really well' I got a lot of A's not very many A*'s though. I know my grades will put me at a disadvantage but the bottom line is if I do really well at A levels and everything else, I'll still stand a good chance of getting in (hopefully)

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSEs are on the lower end of the spectrum for medical applicants, so you are going to have to chose your schools very carefully. It is a shame that you didn't get higher than a B in Physics, that will unfortunately stand out like a sore thumb to a medical school.

I echo the sentiments about swapping government and politics, it isn't considered a traditional subject and you will want to take traditional subjects for A Level if you are going to apply successfully to med school.

I would recommend looking at History instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BestWingmanEver)
    Wow, didn't realise they valued GCSE's that much!
    I didn't either until I went to a medicine talk at their open day last year! I was quite surprised. But then, they don't ask for UKCAT or BMAT so they may need another way of selecting applicants, and using GCSEs makes sense to some extent even if it is very harsh. They're not the only uni to do so for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeFailFish;[url="tel:58791773")
    58791773[/url]]I didn't either until I went to a medicine talk at their open day last year! I was quite surprised. But then, they don't ask for UKCAT or BMAT so they may need another way of selecting applicants, and using GCSEs makes sense to some extent even if it is very harsh. They're not the only uni to do so for medicine.
    Birmingham have now started using the ukcat. They still expect plenty of A* at gcse and aaaa at AS too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X_s)
    Birmingham have now started using the ukcat. They still expect plenty of A* at gcse and aaaa at AS too.
    Really? That's so harsh! But then, I know QUB also expect about 6 A*s plus the UKCAT and AAAA at AS, so they're not alone.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't either until I went to a medicine talk at their open day last year! I was quite surprised. But then, they don't ask for UKCAT or BMAT so they may need another way of selecting applicants, and using GCSEs makes sense to some extent even if it is very harsh. They're not the only uni to do so for medicine.
    Ahhh fair enough, that does make sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brownclown)

Good luck
    Hi, just wondering would it be reasonable to apply to Exeter with predicted A*A*AAAB / A*A*A*AAB with only 665 Band 3 on the ukcat?? Kind of worried about that Band 3...

ReputationRep:
    Don't be disheartened, most unis do contextualise so if your GCSEs come into play, they will see that your school was underachieving, also all you can really do now is work hard for your AS levels. Medicine is determined on many aspects like performance academically and in the UKCAT, your personal statement, predictions and interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatcooldude2.0)
    Hi, just wondering would it be reasonable to apply to Exeter with predicted A*A*AAAB / A*A*A*AAB with only 665 Band 3 on the ukcat?? Kind of worried about that Band 3...
    665 should meet Exeter's cut off, I don't know if they use Situational Judgement or not. I would say go for it because sometimes they consider people who are only a tiny way off from their stated requirements anyway.

ReputationRep:
    665 should meet Exeter's cut off, I don't know if they use Situational Judgement or not. I would say go for it because sometimes they consider people who are only a tiny way off from their stated requirements anyway.
    Thanks, just trying to decide between Exeter and Keele tbh, I like that Exeter score the predicted grades then rank ukcat scores (can't remember where I read this, hopefully it's true) but then again Keele doesn't consider applicants with ukcat in the lowest 20% of the ukcat scores so I was thinking Keele's cut-off might be slightly lower…maybe it would be more of an advantage to apply to Exeter because of my high ish predicted grades. Was thinking of applying to Barts, Imperial and UCL for my other choices Where are you thinking of applying to??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 24, 2015

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.