Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So basically I'm fat. I'm scared I might be bullied for my weight or left out of certain things. Before anybody says anything, yes for the past couple of months I've been trying to lose weight and I have. But obviously when you're very big there's still a lot to lose. Are people judgmental at uni? Does anyone have any experiences to share in regards to being overweight whilst at uni?

I'm a girl btw.

ReputationRep:
    if you're not a **** to people you should be fine
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Vanny)
    So basically I'm fat. I'm scared I might be bullied for my weight or left out of certain things. Before anybody says anything, yes for the past couple of months I've been trying to lose weight and I have. But obviously when you're very big there's still a lot to lose. Are people judgmental at uni? Does anyone have any experiences to share in regards to being overweight whilst at uni?

I'm a girl btw.
    I'm not hugely overweight (I'm a 14-16 clothes wise), but I've never had a problem, and I have friends/acquaintances who are much bigger and also appear to have no problems.

Be nice as you usually would and I don't think it'll be an issue. Get a gym membership maybe when you get there too - my uni has great sports clubs that actually make you WANT to go.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they're judgemental, but they are judgemental about things other than your weight, too. If you don't assume they will care about your weight, and just go in there with confidence, you should be fine. Also, if you don't make friends immediately don't assume it's because of that - most people don't make true friends until 2nd year, despite appearances. First year friendship groups are really just scared clumps of freshers not wanting to be alone.

Besides, university is a great opportunity to get fit. And people will be even more impressed through seeing your transformation

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the responses. Just wondering, did weight stop you/anybody you know from pursuing a relationship? Do you think fat girls can get a bf at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny)
    Thanks for all the responses. Just wondering, did weight stop you/anybody you know from pursuing a relationship? Do you think fat girls can get a bf at uni?
    That's not the point of uni. You're there to learn (and have a bit of fun early on). A relationship should be way down your priority list though if you really want it, be confident socially and don't ever expect it to happen.

ReputationRep:
    why be fat?

ReputationRep:
    If you focus too much on your weight and what people will think of you, you're not going to have an enjoyable experience. People in general will judge you regardless of what you look like, so instead of worrying over what they will think/say, focus on yourself. Learn to be confident in yourself, because when you exude confidence, people tend to respect and like you more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny)
    Are people judgmental at uni?
    Of course the people who aren't fat will privately judge you, but I've never seen anyone openly say anything. Most people at uni are more mentally switched on, so wouldn't do that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    That's not the point of uni. You're there to learn (and have a bit of fun early on). A relationship should be way down your priority list though if you really want it, be confident socially and don't ever expect it to happen.
    I know that. I was just wondering tbh. It would be a nice thing to experience.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck, OP. If you can't lose the weight for whatever reason, don't let it ruin your uni experience - only you can do that. Freshers are like Lemmings - it's not hard to persuade some of them to follow you around, and if you don't care about your weight they won't.

However, as you obviously know, losing weight will make you happier and healthier, and increase the standard of your dating pool. That's just fact, and it's worth fighting for. I lost 3st at university - it's possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny)

I'm a girl btw.
    Give it couple months and you'll realise most people are putting on weight due to university life styles. I'd strongly recommend joining the university gym and sticking through with it throughout your degree if you want to see changed lifestyle. Progress doesn't happen overnight GL !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    I'm not hugely overweight (I'm a 14-16 clothes wise), but I've never had a problem, and I have friends/acquaintances who are much bigger and also appear to have no problems.

Be nice as you usually would and I don't think it'll be an issue. Get a gym membership maybe when you get there too - my uni has great sports clubs that actually make you WANT to go.
    I'd be surprised how many people actually last at the gym after 3 ish months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur12)
    She's losing weight, but it doesn't happen overnight.

Good luck, OP. If you can't lose the weight for whatever reason, don't let it ruin your uni experience - only you can do that. Freshers are like Lemmings - it's not hard to persuade some of them to follow you around, and if you don't care about your weight they won't.

However, as you obviously know, losing weight will make you happier and healthier, and increase the standard of your dating pool. That's just fact, and it's worth fighting for. I lost 3st at university - it's possible
    sorry, she said it in the title as if she was making a choice

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the encouragement everyone I definitely plan to continue my weight loss whilst at uni. Of course freshers week I might stray a bit off plan, but afterwards I do plan to continue with my progress and make a lifestyle change. I feel more reassured now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny)

I'm a girl btw.
    No one in my experience bullies at university
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Vanny)

I'm a girl btw.
    Okay, all I can start with is, you are talking about univerisity as if it's school.
    University is nothing like that.

There is not much judgement at university, any I experienced or saw was from people who still had to grow up - it's like they hadn't realised they were at university and actually had to stop being idiots!

Don't worry yourself over this! You need to accept yourself for who you are. You aren't happy with the way you are and like you've said, you've been trying to change that so it's nobody else's business!

If you need to vent or rant or have any other questions.
    Feel free to PM me!

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it depends where you are going but I think people are bullied less at university there are quite a few over weight people on nu course and no one bats an eyelash

ReputationRep:
    It

(Original post by JustGeorgeJ)
    Okay, all I can start with is, you are talking about univerisity as if it's school.
    University is nothing like that.

There is not much judgement at university, any I experienced or saw was from people who still had to grow up - it's like they hadn't realised they were at university and actually had to stop being idiots!

Don't worry yourself over this! You need to accept yourself for who you are. You aren't happy with the way you are and like you've said, you've been trying to change that so it's nobody else's business!

If you need to vent or rant or have any other questions.
    Feel free to PM me!
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    No one in my experience bullies at university
    It is stupid to say there is no bullying at university. There is certainly less but bullying still remains and takes a different form called ostracism.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it. Even if there are people who are going to judge there will be more people who don't care. As long as you're nice and fun to hang out with nobody will even mention your weight. Don't let it hold you back, just keep smiling. Also, there's no reason you wouldn't get a boyfriend. Sometimes it really is about personality and besides there ARE guys who like bigger ladies, even if they don't publicise it as much. Remember, they're under as much pressure as girls to keep up appearances.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.