Turn on thread page Beta

Are these GCSEs good enough for a top tier uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I got aaaabbbbcc at GCSE ( as in English lit and Lang, re and psychology) and a c in maths. Would this put me at a real disadvantage for a modern languages course at a top uni if I had good a level results? I kind of slacked a bit with GCSEs and only just realised what I wanted to do...Thanks
    I'm. Also thinking of retaking GCSE maths

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picola123)
    So I got aaaabbbbcc at GCSE ( as in English lit and Lang, re and psychology) and a c in maths. Would this put me at a real disadvantage for a modern languages course at a top uni if I had good a level results? I kind of slacked a bit with GCSEs and only just realised what I wanted to do...Thanks
    I'm. Also thinking of retaking GCSE maths
    you'll be fine on the most part. you might be at a disadvantage applying to oxbridge, durham and other unis that focus heavily on GCSEs, but apart from that it's about your AS grades and A2 predictions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UT97)
    you'll be fine on the most part. you might be at a disadvantage applying to oxbridge, durham and other unis that focus heavily on GCSEs, but apart from that it's about your AS grades and A2 predictions
    Thanks. What do you mean by other unis? So for example would I be in the league of for example Southampton, Warwick, Exeter, ucl ? And I heard Cambridge didn't care about GCSEs at all as long as as ares are outstanding?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. What do you mean by other unis? So for example would I be in the league of for example Southampton, Warwick, Exeter, ucl ? And I heard Cambridge didn't care about GCSEs at all as long as as ares are outstanding?
    first of all, whats course? and it's true that cambridge don't care as much as oxford- it's all about the interview- but it can be something which makes the difference.

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine, although I'd be tempted to retake the Maths to bring it up to at least a B - I expect UCL at least from your list would expect a B in Maths minimum. Cambridge care less about GCSEs than Oxford but still expect mainly A*s and As - they're just less fanatical about it. They mainly care about a 90%+ UMS average across your AS subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UT97)
    first of all, whats course? and it's true that cambridge don't care as much as oxford- it's all about the interview- but it can be something which makes the difference.
    Modern languages

ReputationRep:
    Modern languages
    sorry just realised you already said that. yeah you'll be fine if you do well at AS

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.