The Student Room Group

Are these GCSEs good enough for a top tier uni?

So I got aaaabbbbcc at GCSE ( as in English lit and Lang, re and psychology) and a c in maths. Would this put me at a real disadvantage for a modern languages course at a top uni if I had good a level results? I kind of slacked a bit with GCSEs and only just realised what I wanted to do...Thanks
I'm. Also thinking of retaking GCSE maths
Yes
Reply 2
Original post by Picola123
So I got aaaabbbbcc at GCSE ( as in English lit and Lang, re and psychology) and a c in maths. Would this put me at a real disadvantage for a modern languages course at a top uni if I had good a level results? I kind of slacked a bit with GCSEs and only just realised what I wanted to do...Thanks
I'm. Also thinking of retaking GCSE maths

you'll be fine on the most part. you might be at a disadvantage applying to oxbridge, durham and other unis that focus heavily on GCSEs, but apart from that it's about your AS grades and A2 predictions
Reply 3
Original post by UT97
you'll be fine on the most part. you might be at a disadvantage applying to oxbridge, durham and other unis that focus heavily on GCSEs, but apart from that it's about your AS grades and A2 predictions

Thanks. What do you mean by other unis? So for example would I be in the league of for example Southampton, Warwick, Exeter, ucl ? And I heard Cambridge didn't care about GCSEs at all as long as as ares are outstanding?
Reply 4
Thanks. What do you mean by other unis? So for example would I be in the league of for example Southampton, Warwick, Exeter, ucl ? And I heard Cambridge didn't care about GCSEs at all as long as as ares are outstanding?

first of all, whats course? and it's true that cambridge don't care as much as oxford- it's all about the interview- but it can be something which makes the difference.
You should be fine, although I'd be tempted to retake the Maths to bring it up to at least a B - I expect UCL at least from your list would expect a B in Maths minimum. Cambridge care less about GCSEs than Oxford but still expect mainly A*s and As - they're just less fanatical about it. They mainly care about a 90%+ UMS average across your AS subjects
Reply 6
Original post by UT97
first of all, whats course? and it's true that cambridge don't care as much as oxford- it's all about the interview- but it can be something which makes the difference.

Modern languages
Reply 7
Modern languages

sorry just realised you already said that. yeah you'll be fine if you do well at AS :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest