How do pathogens adapt to different host environments during chronic infections?

Watch
rm_27
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys,

Basically the title. I tried doing some research, and I don't quite get it. Make your answer simple to understand!

Thank you.
Eloades11
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rm_27)
Hey guys,

Basically the title. I tried doing some research, and I don't quite get it. Make your answer simple to understand!

Thank you.
Hey,

If you really wanted to, you could probably write an essay on this subject and then some.

The point being, there are a vast range of pathogens which are capable of doing this (from the top of my head, HIV, Epstein-Barr, HSV, Tuberculosis), and I could probably come up with more examples after I finish writing this. All of them have different methods. To give a couple of brief examples, TB gets taken up by macrophages and avoids degradation by lysozymes allowing it to survive inside the macrophage. There's then a process where a cheesy layer filled with dead macrophages which allows the bacterium to remain undetected inside the lungs. The other example is HSV which can remain dormant or maintain a chronic infection by getting inside neurones and by retrograde transport to travel in the opposite direction (this may be slightly off, it's been a while since I covered this).

Basically, they all have ways of overcoming the immune system in order to go undetected but will still cause disease.
rm_27
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Eloades11)
Hey,

If you really wanted to, you could probably write an essay on this subject and then some.

The point being, there are a vast range of pathogens which are capable of doing this (from the top of my head, HIV, Epstein-Barr, HSV, Tuberculosis), and I could probably come up with more examples after I finish writing this. All of them have different methods. To give a couple of brief examples, TB gets taken up by macrophages and avoids degradation by lysozymes allowing it to survive inside the macrophage. There's then a process where a cheesy layer filled with dead macrophages which allows the bacterium to remain undetected inside the lungs. The other example is HSV which can remain dormant or maintain a chronic infection by getting inside neurones and by retrograde transport to travel in the opposite direction (this may be slightly off, it's been a while since I covered this).

Basically, they all have ways of overcoming the immune system in order to go undetected but will still cause disease.

Heya, thanks for the explanation! Do you know any resources I can use, such as books/articles which go more in depth with this?
Eloades11
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rm_27)
Heya, thanks for the explanation! Do you know any resources I can use, such as books/articles which go more in depth with this?
There are many resources available within a quick google search away. I would recommend reading some reviews on the topics, you can probably find a good research article to read on the topic of your choice if you search google
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.53%
I'm not sure (45)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (307)
29.75%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.62%
I'm not a current university student (503)
48.74%

Watched Threads