The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Psychology or Primary Ed at Chester?

All I know is that I would really like a career in working with children. I have my heart set on going to Chester after the open day but not sure on which course. Psychology or Primary ed? By going down the psychology route I'd like to become an educational psychologist. Not sure if there are many jobs at the end of the line, if anyone could give me some advice that would be great! X
Hey! I did Primary Education last year and i completed my first year with flying colours but there is a lot of stress behind it though psychology combined with educational studies may be a better suited choice.
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by BlueWho123
Hey! I did Primary Education last year and i completed my first year with flying colours but there is a lot of stress behind it though psychology combined with educational studies may be a better suited choice.

Sorry, but which would be the better option?
If you did a combined degree in psychology and educational studies, you would gain knowledge in both fields which would help you in your career choice, as an educational psychologist :smile: - that would be the better option.
With primary education you will be spending a lot of time at placements which may give you less time for socializing/uni stuff, plus primary school placements are in big demand in merseyside which may make you struggle. I agree with the above comment about doing a combined course :smile:
Education Studies is more about the history, politics and sociology of education. It does have a module on learning theory, which is very interesting and may help towards education psychology. However you can't currently combine Education Studies with Psychology at Chester, this may change in the future.
Education Studies is also a good stepping stone to doing a PGCE if you want to go down the teaching route too.
Reply 6
Thanks to everyone for your responses. After thought I've decided to stick to the primary ed course😊
Reply 7
Original post by Hevachan
With primary education you will be spending a lot of time at placements which may give you less time for socializing/uni stuff, plus primary school placements are in big demand in merseyside which may make you struggle. I agree with the above comment about doing a combined course :smile:

No struggle for placements as Chester allow you to organise your own placements. I plan on coming home to Northern Ireland for my placement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending