Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. In my GCSE English exams I didn't do as well as I hoped with two B grades, but in previous mock exams I achieved A*\A grades. Unfortunately, I was ill on the days of these exams and have a doctors note, who said it would definitely cause me to under perform, but the school didn't apply for letters of consideration. As I am aspiring to be a veternary surgeon, I feel like this will hinder my chances, especially for universities such as RVC or Cambridge! My other results were all A\A*s. Is there anything I can do?

Additionally, in RS I am one UMS mark away from an A*, which I am taking on at A level. Is it worth a re mark?

ReputationRep:
    Mainly A*s and As with two Bs is still good enough for Vet Med - and yes, that includes Vet Med at the likes of the RVC! I wouldn't worry too much. Cambridge care more about your UMS results at AS being 90%+ so shouldn't mind your GCSE Bs as the rest are A*s and As.

I would say yes it is, but bear in mind remarks cost about £40 - so would an A* benefit you enough to be worth that cost?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    As you can see from the Vet School GCSE Requirements, all of the UK vet schools are fine with you getting Bs in English. A Levels are much more important, and having Bs won't make a difference to your application so don't worry about it. GCSEs only count for so much after everything else (work experience, personal statement etc) is taken into account.

Sure, you could retake English, but it won't be worth it in my opinion. It'll be a waste of your time and money and won't improve your application since you meet the requirements anyway Likewise with the remark, it won't make a difference to your application but if you're willing to pay for it then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeFailFish)
    Mainly A*s and As with two Bs is still good enough for Vet Med - and yes, that includes Vet Med at the likes of the RVC! I wouldn't worry too much. Cambridge care more about your UMS results at AS being 90%+ so shouldn't mind your GCSE Bs as the rest are A*s and As.

I would say yes it is, but bear in mind remarks cost about £40 - so would an A* benefit you enough to be worth that cost?

Oh right! Thank you. I was just upset with the English B grades due to it being such an important subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    As you can see from the Vet School GCSE Requirements, all of the UK vet schools are fine with you getting Bs in English. A Levels are much more important, and having Bs won't make a difference to your application so don't worry about it. GCSEs only count for so much after everything else (work experience, personal statement etc) is taken into account.

Sure, you could retake English, but it won't be worth it in my opinion. It'll be a waste of your time and money and won't improve your application since you meet the requirements anyway Likewise with the remark, it won't make a difference to your application but if you're willing to pay for it then go for it.
    Thank you! I just didn't know if the B grade requirements were common in those who get accepted as most students studying vet med achieve all A/A* grades

ReputationRep:
    RS what a waste lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hedgehoghog)
    Hi. In my GCSE English exams I didn't do as well as I hoped with two B grades, but in previous mock exams I achieved A*\A grades. Unfortunately, I was ill on the days of these exams and have a doctors note, who said it would definitely cause me to under perform, but the school didn't apply for letters of consideration. As I am aspiring to be a veternary surgeon, I feel like this will hinder my chances, especially for universities such as RVC or Cambridge! My other results were all A\A*s. Is there anything I can do?

Additionally, in RS I am one UMS mark away from an A*, which I am taking on at A level. Is it worth a re mark?
    Why are you doing RS if you want to do vet med, it's very competitive and to be in with a chance you need more "serious" subjects, chemistry, biology, physics, maths or even a language looks better.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Thank you! I just didn't know if the B grade requirements were common in those who get accepted as most students studying vet med achieve all A/A* grades
    I know it's pretty harsh to say this straight after you've received your results, but honestly GCSE results matter a lot less than people are led to believe. Hell, even AS results aren't that important, as long as you can get the appropriate predicted grades to apply (although I appreciate that this will be different under the new system). I promise a couple of Bs won't affect your chances in this slightest. I got a C and they let me in!

If you want to improve your chances make sure you're getting lots of varied work experience alongside some extracurriculars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley Williams)
    Why are you doing RS if you want to do vet med, it's very competitive and to be in with a chance you need more "serious" subjects, chemistry, biology, physics, maths or even a language looks better.
    Oh right, I was just going to take it for AS and drop it at A2, then carry on taking biology, chemistry and physics!

Will this be okay, or should I choose something else for AS?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Oh right, I was just going to take it for AS and drop it at A2, then carry on taking biology, chemistry and physics!

Will this be okay, or should I choose something else for AS?
    That's fine. They don't care about your fourth subject so you may as well take something you enjoy/that you find easy. I took maths in an attempt to look 'better' and I hated it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    I know it's pretty harsh to say this straight after you've received your results, but honestly GCSE results matter a lot less than people are led to believe. Hell, even AS results aren't that important, as long as you can get the appropriate predicted grades to apply (although I appreciate that this will be different under the new system). I promise a couple of Bs won't affect your chances in this slightest. I got a C and they let me in!

If you want to improve your chances make sure you're getting lots of varied work experience alongside some extracurriculars
    Thank you so much! Lots of people tell me GCSEs don't matter that much, so I will start believing it. Do you mind me asking what uni you're going to or are at, and what results you had?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Error404OLE)
    RS what a waste lol
    Oh haha! I was just going to take it at AS as a subject that I enjoy, then drop it and continue with biology, chemistry and physics. Do you think this will be okay?

ReputationRep:
    Oh haha! I was just going to take it at AS as a subject that I enjoy, then drop it and continue with biology, chemistry and physics. Do you think this will be okay?
    If you enjoyed it and think you can work hard then go for it. I was joking with my previous post btw, I too did RS and and even though I didn't enjoy the subject I got an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Error404OLE)
    If you enjoyed it and think you can work hard then go for it. I was joking with my previous post btw, I too did RS and and even though I didn't enjoy the subject I got an A*
    Wow, that's impressive what other subjects did you take at a level, and which university are you at now? Would you say my B in English GCSE will make it difficult for me to study vet med?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Thank you so much! Lots of people tell me GCSEs don't matter that much, so I will start believing it. Do you mind me asking what uni you're going to or are at, and what results you had?
    Yeah, well, I think it's a pretty **** thing to tell people after they've just worked hard to achieve good grades, but really GCSEs are just a ticket to the next stage (be it A Levels, IB, whatever).

I'll be starting at the RVC next month and at GCSE I got 3A*s, 9As and the aforementioned C
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ignore all of the above criticising you for doing RS. You got the grades, if you achieved the minimum grades needed to get into the unis as Little Tail chaser linked to.... literally no-one cares about GCSEs from now on in vet med applications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Ignore all of the above criticising you for doing RS. You got the grades, if you achieved the minimum grades needed to get into the unis as Little Tail chaser linked to.... literally no-one cares about GCSEs from now on in vet med applications
    Oh okay, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    just because we're on the subject of AS levels, with the new system (at my school anyway, not sure if everyone is...) I'm not doing ASs for my sciences - there's one exam at the end of the two years. Anyone know if this will affect how universities view our gcses??

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's impressive what other subjects did you take at a level, and which university are you at now? Would you say my B in English GCSE will make it difficult for me to study vet med?
    I will be attending Surrey to study Computer Science in a few weeks.My A-Levels
    French, Geography, ICT , History and Public services ( Final grades A,A,A,B and Distinction* ) . You should be fine. I got a B in GCSE English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suofei)
    just because we're on the subject of AS levels, with the new system (at my school anyway, not sure if everyone is...) I'm not doing ASs for my sciences - there's one exam at the end of the two years. Anyone know if this will affect how universities view our gcses??
    Yeah, my school is the same. I've been told our GCSE grades will be more important now, however many people think they don't matter that much

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2015

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.