bioloves
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi I got CDE in my a2's and I want to retake my a levels. I am doing it at college but I did ocr chemistry and my college does Aqa chemistry.
Should I retake all 4 units with my old sixth form or do the whole chem a level with Aqa at college ?
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bioloves)
Hi I got CDE in my a2's and I want to retake my a levels. I am doing it at college but I did ocr chemistry and my college does Aqa chemistry.
Should I retake all 4 units with my old sixth form or do the whole chem a level with Aqa at college ?
I'm just gonna quote that Compost guy (sorry for the notification ).

(Original post by Compost)
It's up to you. There is a half way option if your AS results were decent. For most ASs, You can transfer a whole AS from on exam board to another and then just re-sit the A2. It's called a Transfer of Credit and the rules are here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/e...sfer-of-credit You'd have to get the exams officer at your current centre to do it for you.
Like Compost said, ask your exams officer to see if you can get this done. Send them an email if you have their email address or go see them, unless they don't open until September. There seems to be plenty of time however since the deadline for this is apparently on 21 October. :3
bioloves
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hydeman)
I'm just gonna quote that Compost guy (sorry for the notification ).

Like Compost said, ask your exams officer to see if you can get this done. Send them an email if you have their email address or go see them, unless they don't open until September. There seems to be plenty of time however since the deadline for this is apparently on 21 October. :3
You can't transfer if you have already completed the a2 like I have

Posted from TSR Mobile
troubadour.
Report 4 years ago
You can't transfer if you have already completed the a2 like I have

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah. Then you might have to do all six modules, coursework included, with the new exam board (AQA) because the old ones won't count. Either that or if you're satisfied with your old coursework marks, you could resit the old exam board's (OCR's) four written exams as a private candidate if your school will allow it. Hope that helps.
bioloves
Rep:
?
Ah. Then you might have to do all six modules, coursework included, with the new exam board (AQA) because the old ones won't count. Either that or if you're satisfied with your old coursework marks, you could resit the old exam board's (OCR's) four written exams as a private candidate if your school will allow it. Hope that helps.
I know but it's so hard which option to choose
Should I stick to ocr bc I have decent coursework grades or do Aqa cb I heard it's easier

Posted from TSR Mobile
troubadour.
Report 4 years ago
I know but it's so hard which option to choose
Should I stick to ocr bc I have decent coursework grades or do Aqa cb I heard it's easier

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it was me and I had decent coursework grades I'd just stick with OCR. I know AQA has that reputation of being easier but to be honest if you put the work in you can get the top grades in OCR as well.

Decent coursework grades can be lifesavers. Last year I got a B in my AS Chemistry and was only 8 marks over the B/C boundary. If I hadn't got 59/60 UMS on the coursework, I don't think I'd have managed.
bioloves
Rep:
?
If it was me and I had decent coursework grades I'd just stick with OCR. I know AQA has that reputation of being easier but to be honest if you put the work in you can get the top grades in OCR as well.

Decent coursework grades can be lifesavers. Last year I got a B in my AS Chemistry and was only 8 marks over the B/C boundary. If I hadn't got 59/60 UMS on the coursework, I don't think I'd have managed.
By decent I got 29/40 C in as and 32/40 in a2 B
I'm aiming for an a in chem this year so should I maybe do Aqa instead in the hope of a higher grade

Posted from TSR Mobile
troubadour.
Report 4 years ago
By decent I got 29/40 C in as and 32/40 in a2 B
I'm aiming for an a in chem this year so should I maybe do Aqa instead in the hope of a higher grade

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you can handle it, sure. Does the college you're going to let you do the practical modules for AQA?

I'm vaguely aware of these fast-track courses that some colleges do which let you do whole A-levels in one year but I don't know if that's available to you, especially considering that these have a tendency to be quite expensive (~£3 000).
LearnOnline
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you can handle it, sure. Does the college you're going to let you do the practical modules for AQA?

I'm vaguely aware of these fast-track courses that some colleges do which let you do whole A-levels in one year but I don't know if that's available to you, especially considering that these have a tendency to be quite expensive (~£3 000).
You can do a fast track OCR Chemistry online, which will get you all of the course material, course text book, tutor support and 2 practical workshop sessions for just £999! - all you would need to do on top is pay your college/sixth form to let you sit the OCR exams (about £50 each)

We do have some places left on our fast track A level Chemistry course if you want to enrol and study online?

Ping me a message if you want some more info

Matt
LearnOnline
bioloves
Rep:
?

I think I'll just stick to doing ocr with old sixth form

Posted from TSR Mobile
troubadour.
Report 4 years ago
I think I'll just stick to doing ocr with old sixth form

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alright.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads