The Student Room Group

Am I doing the wrong thing going to Uni?

So.... I've got a place at York St. John to study English literature and History starting in 3 weeks. After initial excitement and a lot of telling people that 1- I don't want to be a teacher 2- It is a really transferable degree, I'm starting to ask myself is it really worth it. I've always been into fashion and art, I've worked in retail and could really see myself on some kind of marketing/ promotion course. If I am having so many doubts and making so many plan b's is it a sign that this just isn't for me?
It is a tricky one. You are in a part of your life where peer pressure and what everyone else is doing / thinking play a massive part. As a result it is my belief that many people end up going down a particular path, not because they have chosen it, but because they feel that is the path that should be gone down.

If you are having second thoughts or doubts, why not apply the brakes, stand back and assess the situation. Why not defer for a year and take time to think things through? Everything in your life so far has been for this moment and the next 3-5 years will form the initial foundation for the rest of your life. It is not impossible to change direction later in life, but it is a lot harder later on than it is now so take your time to make your next move a good one.

All the very best and good luck!
Reply 2
Very much agree with ByEeek. I feel a lot of people go to uni because it's seen as what you should do, and then unfortunately some people end up regretting their subject choice later down the road (especially if they realise what it is they actually want to do, but are now unable to do due to funding/eligibility etc). If you're already having second thoughts it's not silly to defer for a year and have a think about what you really want to do.

SF offers funding for the length of your degree + 1 year, so you always have the option to drop out after first year, but that isn't ideal as you're adding a needless 9k to your debt. University isn't the be all and end all; if you need to take a year out it's not a bad thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending