Turn on thread page Beta

Male body hair - having an image crisis here! watch

I recently made the jump to shave my chest, abdominal and back hair using an electric shaver and now regret the decision entirely. Now regrown, it looks considerably worse than it did before due to the overall thicker appearance (an illusion due to the non-tapered hair edges).

I feel like shaving is a very tedious and unmantainable option, so I don't know whether to either leave it or wax. I hate the way it looks now and would rather be shot of it, but if I waxed my back, chest and abs, would I then have to follow through with full arms etc.? I'm just struggling to know where to draw the line.

I'm just wondering what people's opinions and/or experiences with torso waxing is? It seems many women don't really mind it either way, but I suppose if it gives me more confidence, that's the most important thing?

ReputationRep:
    Shaving hair does not make it grow back thicker. It may feel and look that way but that is a myth and has no scientific basis, wouldn't make sense anyway. But the point is, are you trying to do this to make other people happy? If someone truly loves you, being hairy shouldn't push them away. I certainly don't mind and all of my friends would agree with me. I would never ask a partner to shave, that's their business. It can be hard to know where to draw the line and I say that as a girl who is socially expected to shave and gets tired of shaving in general. If it makes you happy, keep doing it. But it obviously doesn't, so perhaps take a break and think of alternatives like just letting it be.

Yeah, it doesn't actually grow back thicker, but it sure looks different and feels somehow, ah, less smooth? Now it's all the same length and with hard ends.

Yeah, I pretty much feel I should shave/wax back and shoulders, then leave the front be. However I am also actually a ballroom dancer so I wonder if taking it off the front is actually specifically worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Never ever shave or trim your hair for a girl. Don't do it again.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2015
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.