The Student Room Group

Applying to UWC through UWCGB

Scroll to see replies

Original post by millielb
I also got an offer to come on the 12th!

Ayyy, well done!

I'm so glad that we get an evening to chillax, get to know each other and breathe before the big day. I'm so stressy, like I bit my nails to the core waiting for that email.
Reply 121
Congrats to all! I've been watching this thread quietly for a while out of curiosity and am now in some intense shock about the fact I got an interview (yay).

Going on the 13th to stay over for the 14th.

I'm so excited/absolutely terrified about it! Should be fun. Nice to relax for a bit after a day of having a small heart attack every time I get an email.
Yeah I know! I'll be a right mess before I go in, I panic so much about stuff like this! I've literally just been researching UWC every spare moment since I got the email this morning worrying about presentations and the like...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Calsiwm_Silicad
nah if anything winging will make it more natural! But I'd at least check over your application so you remember what you put! ( i couldn't remember everything i put down until I read over my application last night)

Also , is it okay *general questions now* if I've changed my mind about "what will you be doing in twenty years time" question?

I mean I said I'd either want to study Geog , French or Physics and then do some stuff like work with NGOs and stuff

Will it count against me if I now want to do either maths or physics , but still hopefully do something related to charities?Like , I don't want them to think I was lying because I've honestly just changed my mind. Now Im worried that it'll count against me...

I think y'all would agree that it took a lot of thinking and self-reflection to get that application written, like I broke me at some point wondering who I really was and where my identity came from.

So it's only natural that you've changed your mind and reconsidered things, because I remember Princepieman saying about the massive effect that applying would have on us, earlier in the thread, and I can definitely say that I've started seeing and doing things differently since.

And hahaha, I put a little sentence at the end of that question as a disclaimer, saying that my plans will probably change/evolve.
I love how it took this thread like 3 months to get to page 3 and now it's suddenly exploded in a day😁
Reply 125
Original post by swissor
I think y'all would agree that it took a lot of thinking and self-reflection to get that application written, like I broke me at some point wondering who I really was and where my identity came from.

So it's only natural that you've changed your mind and reconsidered things, because I remember Princepieman saying about the massive effect that applying would have on us, earlier in the thread, and I can definitely say that I've started seeing and doing things differently since.

And hahaha, I put a little sentence at the end of that question as a disclaimer, saying that my plans will probably change/evolve.

I also tentatively mentioned at the bottom that my aspirations would "probably change in a minute" (wondered if this was a bad move) but they didn't seem to mind.
Original post by jbrew
Congrats to all! I've been watching this thread quietly for a while out of curiosity and am now in some intense shock about the fact I got an interview (yay).

Going on the 13th to stay over for the 14th.

I'm so excited/absolutely terrified about it! Should be fun. Nice to relax for a bit after a day of having a small heart attack every time I get an email.

Oh come on , can have at least one person having an interview the same day ? At this rate I'll turn up and the assessors will say "only you today mate" plus I'm still the only guy .. I really don't understand why so little amount of guys apply to UWC
Well done everyone!

I hope you guys all enjoy the experience, and, hopefully make it to a UWC!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jbrew
I also tentatively mentioned at the bottom that my aspirations would "probably change in a minute" (wondered if this was a bad move) but they didn't seem to mind.

Mate , I talked about kebab night with the lads at one point - I think the fact that we're not too formal in the application is part of what hopefully made us stand out a bit... I'veasked babasically everyone now - what did they say they liked about your application in your interview offer email?
Reply 129
Mate , I talked about kebab night with the lads at one point - I think the fact that we're not too formal in the application is part of what hopefully made us stand out a bit... I'veasked babasically everyone now - what did they say they liked about your application in your interview offer email?

Yeah, I agree. Informality interestingly seems a common strand throughout a lot of the successful applications, which is cool! They said they liked my "love of music and passion for filmmaking."

(Also, you mentioned being "the only guy". I'm a guy, if it's any consolation!)

They said they liked my volunteering stuff, and interest in foreign music :smile:)

I've literally spent the day going through all the colleges, and sort of comparing them all. i feel way too picky though I've crossed off about 5.

Am I the only one? like what about you guys?
Original post by alexzandrazoo
They said they liked my volunteering stuff, and interest in foreign music :smile:)

I've literally spent the day going through all the colleges, and sort of comparing them all. i feel way too picky though I've crossed off about 5.

They like my volunteer work and passion for debate.

I didn't have time to go though the college profiles because I had a sociology essay to do that's due in tomorrow😔 But from what I've seen so far, I wouldn't mind any UWC so I'll need to factor in what the parents say( Red Cross Nordic and UWC-USA are at the top of my list though)
Congratulations to you all! I spent all of the three months working my butt off for the application round but didn't make the cut which has been upsetting to say the least! Furthermore one of my friends and my boyfriend got interviews, ouch! I'm so so jealous of all of you and hope you all get places!
Original post by millielb
I also got an offer to come on the 12th!

Me too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexzandrazoo

You're not the only one!

Which ones have you ruled out ? I've ruled out Pearson and Costa Rica pre-parent check and they'll probably cross off quite a few more due to flight costs - but let's hope they can help keep my options open!!
Original post by elizab3th
Congratulations to you all! I spent all of the three months working my butt off for the application round but didn't make the cut which has been upsetting to say the least! Furthermore one of my friends and my boyfriend got interviews, ouch! I'm so so jealous of all of you and hope you all get places!

That's such a shame! But remember if you're in yr 11 there's always next year - there are quite a few people on this thread who have got interviews after reapplying after not "making the cut" the first time round. So if you're really passionate about this - which it seems you are - you've still got every chance to get in next year!
Hi everyone! I secured an invitation to the assessment day, Sat 12 to Sun 13th. Something I can't say that I was expecting at all as I genuinely did not believe that I'd be shortlisted. Does anyone know, roughly, how many applied? And is bringing a parent compulsory because I'm keen to just hop on a train without any hassle? Finally, I have a full week of mocks immediately before that weekend, does anyone else have this problem? If so, I am concerned as to how we are going to prepare during/following these exams (albeit mocks lol). Cheers!
Original post by HumanConditioner
Hi everyone! I secured an invitation to the assessment day, Sat 12 to Sun 13th. Something I can't say that I was expecting at all as I genuinely did not believe that I'd be shortlisted. Does anyone know, roughly, how many applied? And is bringing a parent compulsory because I'm keen to just hop on a train without any hassle? Finally, I have a full week of mocks immediately before that weekend, does anyone else have this problem? If so, I am concerned as to how we are going to prepare during/following these exams (albeit mocks lol). Cheers!

My mocks are a fortnight before interview but I only have five mocks and one is english language and another is welsh language so I'm just gonna wing the mocks and prepare for the interviews! Got a first mock interview tomorrow!! WELL DONE BY THE WAY
My mocks are a fortnight before interview but I only have five mocks and one is english language and another is welsh language so I'm just gonna wing the mocks and prepare for the interviews! Got a first mock interview tomorrow!! WELL DONE BY THE WAY

Lucky You!! We got given our timetables today, and they are doing all of my subjects on the second week of december... rock and a hard place! Winging the mocks sounds a far wiser option, and I know you'll do well anywho!
Weirdly, I am a lot more nervous about the assessment activities than the interviews, do you think that there is any preparation that can be done for them?
Is this a mock UWC interview, what? Either way GOOD LUCK!
Thank you, AND YOU- I knew you'd get it!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HumanConditioner

Icthink about 350 applied-quite a few! You don't have to bring a parent at all, as far as I know. And I'm on the same day as you-woohoo!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending