Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have just completed GCSEs and I'm unsure about taking biology as I did much better in the exams than I expected so therefore I haven't considered biology as a choice. Would anyone be able to offer an advice on how easy/difficult the course is? I'm not sure what exam board it's on but I know one of the topics is Biological molecules if that helps? And lots about plants too.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    difficulty is subjective. if you're happy with memorising a fork tonne of similar sounding words and extremely long words and whatever else biology is about then sure, it'll be a great A Level choice.
    haven't you already chosen your A Level subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kokoloko)
    difficulty is subjective. if you're happy with memorising a fork tonne of similar sounding words and extremely long words and whatever else biology is about then sure, it'll be a great A Level choice.
    haven't you already chosen your A Level subjects?
    thanks for the advice! I have but for the first few weeks there is room for movement of a level choices, have you taken the a level yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiee123)
    thanks for the advice! I have but for the first few weeks there is room for movement of a level choices, have you taken the a level yourself?
    I agree with the comments above; words an sound very similar no matter what level of Biology you do - as long as you're up for memorising things, then you'll be fine (I.e at GCSE you couldn't mistake meiosis for mitosis)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielwinstanley)
    I agree with the comments above; words an sound very similar no matter what level of Biology you do - as long as you're up for memorising things, then you'll be fine (I.e at GCSE you couldn't mistake meiosis for mitosis)
    thanks for letting me know

ReputationRep:
    It's not just about memorisation
    You need to make sure you understand it too as there is quite a bit of application
    As long as you get a B at GCSE then you should be fine
    I personally enjoyed biology at AS and even considering to do it at degree level
    If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spiritless98)
    It's not just about memorisation
    You need to make sure you understand it too as there is quite a bit of application
    As long as you get a B at GCSE then you should be fine
    I personally enjoyed biology at AS and even considering to do it at degree level
    If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hi, thanks for your advice! I did one of my science GCSEs early in year 10 and I only got a C and from that point on I didn't have faith in myself that I could do biology a level, then in my results this year i got an A. I haven't discussed it with my school yet so fingers crossed! Thats cool, glad you're enjoying it! I am worried if I take it as science has always been something I have to really work at to achieve in. If you don't mind me asking, could you explain ways to really make sure you understood something? thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    hi, thanks for your advice! I did one of my science GCSEs early in year 10 and I only got a C and from that point on I didn't have faith in myself that I could do biology a level, then in my results this year i got an A. I haven't discussed it with my school yet so fingers crossed! Thats cool, glad you're enjoying it! I am worried if I take it as science has always been something I have to really work at to achieve in. If you don't mind me asking, could you explain ways to really make sure you understood something? thanks so much
    This is what I did (but your way could work better)
    -after the teacher covered a topic in school I'd go home and watch a few YouTube videos on that topic to make sure I understand it fully
    - then read the textbook and see if it makes sense
    - I had two-three textbooks but mainly used just the main core textbook the others were just there if I didn't understand anything in the main textbook
    - if you still don't understand it ask a friend
    -and if all of the above fails ask a teacher
    Only go to a teacher once you've tried understanding yourself
    The rest is basically exam technique, which I wish I didn't leave for 2 weeks before the exam
    Try to do past papers from the beginning so find the questions for each topic and do that if it suits you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what are your original A Level choices? Personally I haven't, I don't think it's for me but we're all different eh:afro:

ReputationRep:
    Biology isn't as hard as some people bring it out to be. I would prefer you to have a positive mind towards the tutor and the subject. You will definetly score an A

ReputationRep:
    I am exactly the same!! I was getting C's at GCSE and I got A* in the end so I only briefly and not-seriously considered it but the fact I got A* it seems kinda of stupid not to take science further so. I think you should take it!

ReputationRep:
    I have just completed GCSEs and I'm unsure about taking biology as I did much better in the exams than I expected so therefore I haven't considered biology as a choice. Would anyone be able to offer an advice on how easy/difficult the course is? I'm not sure what exam board it's on but I know one of the topics is Biological molecules if that helps? And lots about plants too.

Thank you!
    Hi!

I sort of wish i had asked this question when i took biology as an AS level - don't want to put you off, but i regretted it the moment i sat down. Half the class left within a week, sort of wish i'd joined them.

Basically, i did pretty well in my GCSE'S considering leaving primary school i was predicted C's all round - got D*'S, A*'s, A's, 1 B. YAYYYY. but boy did i have to work for it XD anyway - point is i just got my result for AS level bio, which after struggling to gets C'S and D'S in ALL the mock papers we did, and two U's in the ridiculous ISA courseworks (you either do well or get rubbish), took the backup coursework (got a D yes omg) i got a C overall. i was so overjoyed i momentarily forgot the year of pain i had suffered though i'm drop kicking that subject the moment we get back into school.

My advice - if you didn't gel your GCSE science in Biology, you will need to work for it. My friend who got 10 A*'s GCSE, took Biology with me and got the same grade WTF in the end despite getting A's in all the mocks whilst i cried through them. The bio papers were Pieces of SHIZZLE. no heart, no lungs, oily fish and asthma, no gas exchange - if you take it you'll be in disbelief too, that's all you revise in biology they're such difficult and huge topics AND WHERE WERE THEY. anyway, rant over. seriously consider biology. do not take it lightly unless you are willing to work because Biology is a mind game, you have to get that keyword to get the mark, and if you don't, doesn't matter if you're right if you don''t get that word in the mark scheme you may as well whistle dixie to an any good grade. Try a mock paper right now - and look a the mark scheme. if you hate detail, and you hate constant revision, unless youre a prodigy who can get drunk the night before and still get an A, good luck my friend! (< somebody did that scenario fyi. damn them)

ReputationRep:
    what are your original A Level choices? Personally I haven't, I don't think it's for me but we're all different eh:afro:
    food and nutrition, drama, history and biology or sociology. I wanted to do biology as it's a stronger subject as unis will look for them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bujjju)
    Biology isn't as hard as some people bring it out to be. I would prefer you to have a positive mind towards the tutor and the subject. You will definetly score an A
    thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinymiddle)
    I am exactly the same!! I was getting C's at GCSE and I got A* in the end so I only briefly and not-seriously considered it but the fact I got A* it seems kinda of stupid not to take science further so. I think you should take it!
    thank goddness someone knows how I feel! Thanks, hope you take it too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren_st)
    Hi!

I sort of wish i had asked this question when i took biology as an AS level - don't want to put you off, but i regretted it the moment i sat down. Half the class left within a week, sort of wish i'd joined them.

Basically, i did pretty well in my GCSE'S considering leaving primary school i was predicted C's all round - got D*'S, A*'s, A's, 1 B. YAYYYY. but boy did i have to work for it XD anyway - point is i just got my result for AS level bio, which after struggling to gets C'S and D'S in ALL the mock papers we did, and two U's in the ridiculous ISA courseworks (you either do well or get rubbish), took the backup coursework (got a D yes omg) i got a C overall. i was so overjoyed i momentarily forgot the year of pain i had suffered though i'm drop kicking that subject the moment we get back into school.

My advice - if you didn't gel your GCSE science in Biology, you will need to work for it. My friend who got 10 A*'s GCSE, took Biology with me and got the same grade WTF in the end despite getting A's in all the mocks whilst i cried through them. The bio papers were Pieces of SHIZZLE. no heart, no lungs, oily fish and asthma, no gas exchange - if you take it you'll be in disbelief too, that's all you revise in biology they're such difficult and huge topics AND WHERE WERE THEY. anyway, rant over. seriously consider biology. do not take it lightly unless you are willing to work because Biology is a mind game, you have to get that keyword to get the mark, and if you don't, doesn't matter if you're right if you don''t get that word in the mark scheme you may as well whistle dixie to an any good grade. Try a mock paper right now - and look a the mark scheme. if you hate detail, and you hate constant revision, unless youre a prodigy who can get drunk the night before and still get an A, good luck my friend! (< somebody did that scenario fyi. damn them)
    hi, thank you so much for sharing your experience! congratulations on your grade in biology, well done thanks for the advice, i know i will defo need to work really hard to achieve in the subject like you said even your friend with the amazing gcse grades did! I will have a look at the exam papers and mark schemes thanks for letting me know

ReputationRep:

Thank you!

Only take a subject at AS if you really do enjoy it. I had a similar experience to you with but with geography GCSE, I ended up getting an A*, which I never expected and so decided to take it to A level because i thought i'd be able to have the same success. But, I ended up getting a C at AS level (my lowest grade). I really regret choosing the subject simply based on my GCSE grades, because GCSEs are SO different to A levels. You have to be genuinely interested in the subject, I got A's at AS in both psychology and religious studies because i enjoyed studying them! I do biology as well (got a B at AS) and it is a lot of work, and if you don't find it interesting, it's going to seem like even more work! I'd say if you think you'll find sociology more interesting, go with that...

ReputationRep:
    Biology at A level is completely different to GCSE in the way that it is a lot more complicated with big words. However, every A level is a lot more complicated than GCSE. With biology, personally I find that it's just a lot more context and you have a shorter period of time to learn it. My best advice for taking biology is make sure you enjoy the subject. I took maths and i absolutely hated it and therefore got a U in it (oops) so just make sure it's a subject you enjoy. Also, keep organised and it will make everything a lot easier and it won't feel like you have to do as much when the time of your exam comes.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I haven't, I don't think it's for me but we're all different eh:afro:
    Wow... Always good to get a bit of insight from someone who knows nothing about the subject and who has no experience of it, eh? :borat:

OP: if it's a subject you enjoyed at GCSE, go for it! It's hard work, in the sense that Jess1997xo said - re the amount of content and the time to learn it - but it is so interesting.

ReputationRep:

Thank you!
    I worked fairly hard for it and got an A* but I was very lucky to have easy papers for both AS and A2. You'll need to memorise an awful lot of info and the exams are tough because they're not recall; they're applied situations which makes it terribly harder than you think. Memorising lots is 5% of the effort because being able to apply it and look at the bigger picture is incredibly difficult.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 31, 2015

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.