Turn on thread page Beta

Tips to deal with anxiety/panic attacks? watch

Ive had anxiety for over a year now and it's certainly reached depression stages now. Anyone have any tips to deal with anxiety? I feel constantly panicked.

Does meditation work?

Advise please.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe go and see your GP and he will decide if medication is required. But it's always nice to have people to talk to. There is always an anxiety forum (and family members or friends).

ReputationRep:
    I was diagnosed with GAD in 2013, so far CCBT and medication have been effective for me. St Johns Wort or Kalms may help you - they're herbal remedies you take as tablets and they've helped me a lot, you can buy them in most supermarkets. For CCBT, e-couch self help really helped me to understand what I was feeling and made me feel a lot more sane, I particularly prefer it to normal CBT which requires interaction with other people. But it's really dependent on the individual. I hope you feel better soon.

ReputationRep:
    The best tips I can give you are -

*exercise. I know it might be the last thing you want to do but it honestly works wonders. Even just a simple 10 min walk around your block every day can help. It burns off extra adrenaline and helps you relax.

*make sure you are eating properly. I'm bad for skipping meals and then going out and wonder why I feel light headed and weak. So many of my panic attacks have been brought on by skipping meals out of being too lazy to cook or I've been in a rush.

*keep a diary. I find that writing down all my anxious thoughts really helps. Seeing them on paper helps me realise just how far fetched they are and helps me rationalise everything again.

*read/listen to Dr Claire Weekes books and audio books. They helped me more than anything with my anxiety and panic attacks

*if you haven't already, see your GP. Most doctors are understanding about mental health problems nowadays so they can help put your mind at rest and remind its just anxiety and nothing more serious

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ive had anxiety for over a year now and it's certainly reached depression stages now. Anyone have any tips to deal with anxiety? I feel constantly panicked.

Does meditation work?

Advise please.
    I would say anxiety to the point of depression sounds pretty bad but I think, esp the post above gives some good advice. I think seeing a doctor could be helpful. There are medications available or therapy and both or either can be very helpful. It doesn't sound like you're managing your anxiety by yourself right now so maybe share your worries with a family member or friend? If you get someone who understands or even just cuts you some slack that can take a lot of pressure off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from both and although it comes back from time to time I find that it is manageable. I don't agree with anti-depressants I believe, and this is my opinion only so I am not telling you to not listen to doctor advice as there are some medical conditions which do require it, but I believe that they are just a money making pill to keep people depressed so that they have to keep taking these pills. The medicinal industry is a business at the end of the day and they would far rather people kept needing their product than to come up with a cure for everyone imo.

What can you do? Well what I did was I started practising breathing to start off, turn the TV off, have no outside noise pollution whatsoever, try your best to clear your mind and just concentrate solely on breathing in and out slowly and deeply. If your mind wanders, which it tends to do, just get back to thinking of breathing as soon as you notice.

Cut out ALL fizzy drinks and caffeine, these just make yourself bloated and make you more prone to the shakes. Of course it is difficult if you use these a lot just now so I suggest dramatically cutting down and drink water in between and up your water intake in general, preferably bottled and chilled.

Make one day a week a dedicated YOU day. This is the day that you can do anything you want (as long as your not hurting others obviously) guilt free. This means if you want to pig out on this day, pig out. If you want to spend the whole day and night binge watching a show do that, just basically what you love and what you want is all you focus on for that one day and you know it's guilt free because it's just for the day, your allowed to!!

Exercise. This is one of the more important ones, you don't want to get too bogged down in it though because then the lows of missing a day can be quite upsetting, so find something that's enjoyable for you but makes you sweat a little, you don't need to go to the gym to exercise. Try jogging on the spot while watching a TV show and set yourself a target of not stopping until the end of the show, it does wonders and can make you want to do a little bit more such as star jumps etc. Dobt force yourself to stick to a strict excercise routine because they quickly get boring and in the end you may end up packing in excercise altogether, do what's fun for you.

Laughter. Try and see your situation from the point of view as someone else, and then try to make fun of yourself as this person. It's a good healthy exercise and helps you not to take yourself too seriously, I find that when I was having my lowest of days that it was hard not to take myself seriously and as a result everything seemed more serious and a lot worse than maybe it actually was. Laugh at yourself, in time you might be able to have a laugh and joke with friends about how you were trembling because somebody randomly started talking to you at a bus stop- and it was only a harmless old lady! This illness can be poked fun at if you want to and laughing at it hurts it massively, trust me.

If you are having self doubt, again, try and imagine that you are someone else looking at you. Would you really find them "what your thinking about you" if you just met them, what evidence have you got to hold this belief about yourself? If you can't come up with it straight away then chances are it is a false belief that has been stored due to a single incident in your past.

Meditation is another good practise but try breathing first as this will help you if you decide to give it a go.

Push your boundaries on occasions, not too big but not too easy, try something that makes you a little bit nervous and challenge that belief that you hold about how you react in that situation, this can be fun if you remember it's just an experiment and that you will give yourself a pat on the back regardless of whether it goes well or not because at least
    Your trying!!

If you feel like you have a million things swirling around your head, write them down!! You will quickly see that once you start doing this how little problems there actually are, certainly no where near a million! This helps put your problems into perspective also and you can begin sorting out which need taking care of first and maybe write plans for each of them. This takes the problems just mindlessly floating around your head screaming at you at the same time and allows you to concentrate on each one individually and concentrate on the best way to deal with them. The mind will clear of clutter and stress will be alleviated.

Focus on helping other people! You might think you have too many problems of your own but helping someone else makes you feel good and gives you evidence to store into the "I'm a good person" belief file stored in your brain.

Lastly remember mental illness in not your fault! You have something that you can't help anymore than you can help catching a cold, yeah it sucks but remember other people catch it too, your not alone and you don't have some rare disease. It's tough when you think nobody understands but the fact is, people do! It is becoming more and more an open topic and with that more research will come into combatting it hopefully. I wish you all the best with your life and I hope I have helped in at least some small way.

ReputationRep:
    There are many relaxation techniques you can research and put to use, including breathing, counting, meditating. My personal favourite is yoga. Helps me to centralise my thoughts and calm down.

Maybe try going to your GP to see what they can say/recommend for you.

I hope you find something which helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2015
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.