Turn on thread page Beta

Should we scrap the monarchy? watch

• View Poll Results: Should the monarchy be abolished once The Queen dies?
    Of course. I'm a diehard republican.
    41.07%
    No - they are doing no harm.
    47.34%
    I'm undecided.
    6.90%
    What?
    4.70%

ReputationRep:
    In twenty days' time, the current queen will surpass Queen Victoria as the longest reigning monarch in the UK on record.

As the idea of a monarchy runs so contrary to a democracy, irrespective of how much power the monarch wields, perhaps we should abolish the system once Elizabeth II dies.

I'd like to set up a poll on this. At the moment, the institution is enormously popular, what with William and Kate achieving status as supercelebrites. Once a new one takes over, I think some of the magic will be lost.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    they are a bunch of nazis.; our national anthem is stupid, why do we have to say; "god save the queen" what the heck has she done for us !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wwelol)
    they are a bunch of nazis.; our national anthem is stupid, why do we have to say; "god save the queen" what the heck has she done for us !!!
    I agree.

What about the fact that they bring in a lot of tourism etc.?

I find it repugnant that the Queen is exempt from tax and has only volunteered to pay it since the 1990s!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wwelol)
    I would disagree with the first comment but agree with the second.

ReputationRep:
    Our national anthem is extremely boring yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkSenrine)
    What about the fact that they bring in a lot of tourism etc.?
    The problem ith that argument is that they don't. The figures showing how much they brought in had its own creator confess that it was rubbish and there is no reason people still wouldnt visit their attractions should they not be in power (it happens in France etc.)

ReputationRep:
    God save our gracious Queen
    Long live our noble Queen
    God save the Queen
    Send her victorious
    Happy and glorious
    Long to reign over us
    God save the Queen

That is all.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Nah wait, only joking.

ReputationRep:
    I'd take you to the tower for even thinking about such an absurd suggestion 󾓪

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dictator)
    Our national anthem is extremely boring yes.
    The tune is fine. The words are a load of rubbish

And no they shouldn't be scrapped, they are a good tourist attraction

ReputationRep:
    Keep them. No, they are not 'Nazi' and claiming as such is ridiculous.

I like our national anthem - properly done, it's extremely moving. But that's a different discussion and changing it doesn't hinge on the monarchy existing. But as an aside, what has the Queen done for us? How about sixty years of being Head of State, which is no picnic.

As for tourism, I think it's a poor argument for either side to use, but to claim the monarchy does nothing for tourism is absurd. You have only to look at the crowds outside Buckingham Palace to see that's not true.

ReputationRep:
    The royal family costs the tax payer over £100m a year. The idea that people wouldnt visit royal attractions if they weren't in power is ridiculous. More importantly however the idea of an unelected head of state runs completely against democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToadHallToad)

The South American national anthems are awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    Keep them. No, they are not 'Nazi' and claiming as such is ridiculous.

I like our national anthem - properly done, it's extremely moving. But that's a different discussion and changing it doesn't hinge on the monarchy existing. But as an aside, what has the Queen done for us? How about sixty years of being Head of State, which is no picnic.

As for tourism, I think it's a poor argument for either side to use, but to claim the monarchy does nothing for tourism is absurd. You have only to look at the crowds outside Buckingham Palace to see that's not true.
    I agree with the top part (not being Nazi part)

Do you not agree that when the national anthem is singing to praise an institution about 20% of the population agree with is pretty stupid.

It is poor logic to conflate someone who is an extremely dutiful old lady witg a thoroughly undemocratic system.

Yes the family can draw crowds but they also mean what could be prime attractions have to be shut most of the year. I'd say in terms of tourism the advantages and disadvantages level themselves out particularly as no royal attractions are in the 20 most popular in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToadHallToad)

No royal attractions are in the UK top 20 most popular.

The idea tourism would evaporate if they were abolished is ridiculous particularly as the properties are shut whenever the royals are actually there,

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I loathe more than the Queen are politicians.

Apart from Corbyn. I like him.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    I agree with the top part (not being Nazi part)

Do you not agree that when the national anthem is singing to praise an institution about 20% of the population agree with is pretty stupid.
    Not really, it's no worse than any other subject. A lot of anthems focus on crushing our enemies and the glory or war, so...

It is poor logic to conflate someone who is an extremely dutiful old lady witg a thoroughly undemocratic system.
    Why is it undemocratic? As you already said, the monarchy is overwhelmingly popular. It's public will that the monarchy exists.

Yes the family can draw crowds but they also mean what could be prime attractions have to be shut most of the year. I'd say in terms of tourism the advantages and disadvantages level themselves out particularly as no royal attractions are in the 20 most popular in the UK.
    As I said, I think it's a poor argument for either side (as if we'd base our institutions one their monetary draw), but to claim their tourist revenue is zero is flatly indefensible.

ReputationRep:
    I think we should remove all political standings of the monarchy. let them be because yes, they bring in tourism etc but I think the power the queen has (granted in theory but still) makes a mockery of the democratic society we live in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    Not really, it's no worse than any other subject. A lot of anthems focus on crushing our enemies and the glory or war, so...
    At least all the Scots can enthusiastically sing about winning a war against the English there are many who struggle to sing their own anthem in England.

Why is it undemocratic? As you already said, the monarchy is overwhelmingly popular. It's public will that the monarchy exists.
    The idea that anybody is born superior and into power is fundamentucally undemocratic. However your argument is fair argument as to why it would be undemocratic to abolish them.

As I said, I think it's a poor argument for either side (as if we'd base our institutions one their monetary draw), but to claim their tourist revenue is zero is flatly indefensible.
    it's important to remember the buildings and history bring the tourists not the current family.

ReputationRep:
    the monarchy is so decrepit and rotten - I think it's ridiculous that the legal ruler of the country I live in has no electoral or democratic legitimacy whatsoever
    they don't bring in more tourists than republican france, in fact I doubt they're even a factor to most tourists - buckingham palace would be here with or without the queen
    and honestly, who gives a **** about tourism either way? tourists don't give me or you money or happiness, so if they don't want to come here if we become a republic then they can **** off
    I'm sick to death of this shameless BBC sycophancy towards the royal family too - look through a sane lense and realise that they are just normal people with a lot of money. they're not special. they don't deserve power or legal privilege.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.