Turn on thread page Beta

Is A-Level Maths still an option for me? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am about to study in Manchester College for Level 2 Engineering but I have mentioned to the tutors that I would like to re-take my GCSE Mathematics to bump up the grade to a B (currently have a C). Unfortunately, the tutors suggested I should take Core a level 3 Mathematics, which I do not want to do. The reason for wanting to re-take GCSE is so that I could do A-Levels Maths at the start of the Level 3 course to satisfy the requirements for admission to Manchester University.

In all fairness, I could have gotten better grades, but my school's limited sense of judgement prevented me from taking Higher GCSE. I am profoundly deaf and do not have issues with learning, but accessibility to education is what stops me from prevailing in the subjects I enjoy.

But I believe not taking A-Level Maths would limit most of my choices for universities I want. So I am looking if the option is still open for me.

The question is: do I speak to a careers advisor or talk to a tutor?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by Ouji)
    I am about to study in Manchester College for Level 2 Engineering but I have mentioned to the tutors that I would like to re-take my GCSE Mathematics to bump up the grade to a B (currently have a C). Unfortunately, the tutors suggested I should take Core a level 3 Mathematics, which I do not want to do. The reason for wanting to re-take GCSE is so that I could do A-Levels Maths at the start of the Level 3 course to satisfy the requirements for admission to Manchester University.

In all fairness, I could have gotten better grades, but my school's limited sense of judgement prevented me from taking Higher GCSE. I am profoundly deaf and do not have issues with learning, but accessibility to education is what stops me from prevailing in the subjects I enjoy.

But I believe not taking A-Level Maths would limit most of my choices for universities I want. So I am looking if the option is still open for me.

The question is: do I speak to a careers advisor or talk to a tutor?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    I would definitely make contact with some Universities and ask them for guidance.

You may find an alternative approach to learning A level Maths works better for your particular situation. Have you considered studying Maths with an online or distance provider?

M

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.