The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering - Biology Necessary?

Hi all,

I am now going into my highers having chosen to study Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics and French.

Maths and Chemistry are two of my favourite subjects and I would ideally like to study Chemical Engineering and would love to work in the oil & gas industry.

I hope to get into a good Scottish University like Edinburgh but am now worrying that not having Biology will hold me back.

Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated :smile:
I too need this advice but for A levels...
Original post by mattcorney
Hi all,

I am now going into my highers having chosen to study Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics and French.

Maths and Chemistry are two of my favourite subjects and I would ideally like to study Chemical Engineering and would love to work in the oil & gas industry.

I hope to get into a good Scottish University like Edinburgh but am now worrying that not having Biology will hold me back.

Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, if your going specifically for the oil and gas industry,you don't need biology.
All you need is chemistry, Maths and preferably further maths.
Physics would serve you better than biology.
Reply 3
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

No, if your going specifically for the oil and gas industry,you don't need biology.

That's what I had originally thought. I was just a little concerned to see that a lot of people wanting to do Chemical Engineering had Biology.

Thanks for that!
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

If i dont do further maths...will my application to do chem eng. be ignored (want to keep my options open doing maths and the 3 sciences)
Reply 5
Original post by Chlo.Harr
If i dont do further maths...will my application to do chem eng. be ignored (want to keep my options open doing maths and the 3 sciences)

I doubt it would be ignored (unless you're going for the top universities), although it might help. I've seen some get 5As at Scottish higher level with no advanced subjects get unconditionals to places like Edinburgh for Chemical.
Original post by Chlo.Harr

Posted from TSR Mobile
It won't be ignored.But doing further maths would be an advantage, but it's acceptable if you only do maths.
You won't need biology, unless you want to go into pharmaceuticals later on or something similar. I'll be studying biomedical engineering and you don't even need biology past SG/Higher level so I definitely don't think you'd need it for chemical :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by greenladybird
You won't need biology, unless you want to go into pharmaceuticals later on or something similar. I'll be studying biomedical engineering and you don't even need biology past SG/Higher level so I definitely don't think you'd need it for chemical :tongue:

Ah okay, well I don't have it at National level either (Standard Grade) let alone higher, do you think that should be a problem?

Ah okay, well I don't have it at National level either (Standard Grade) let alone higher, do you think that should be a problem?

I don't think it would be any problem. They would only really care about you having chemistry, maths and physics.
I'm considering either Biomedical or chemical engineering, or chemistry at uni so I wondered if you could tell me what grades got to get into the course and what uni you'll be studying at?
Not that necessary. There's some bio in bio reactors in 2nd year maybe but maths is the important one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thestonerose
I'm considering either Biomedical or chemical engineering, or chemistry at uni so I wondered if you could tell me what grades got to get into the course and what uni you'll be studying at?

Are you asking me?
I'm going to Strathclyde, there's only two places in Scotland which offer it so it's a bit limited if you're wanting to stay up here haha
I think the standard entry requirement was AAAA but it was something like AAAAA for Glasgow? This was for the integrated masters course so the 4 year course (BEng) will be slightly lower grades.
The highest offer I had was for AAA at Advanced Highers but Strathclyde was unconditional luckily :h:
Reply 13
Original post by The_Blade
Not that necessary. There's some bio in bio reactors in 2nd year maybe but maths is the important one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, so long as the actual Biology qualification isn't overly necessary then I think I'll be fine as I can always learn some Biology in my own time.

Thanks for your reply :smile:
My friend got into Strathclyde for Chem Eng. with the same subjects but geography instead of French. Her grades were AABBB.
Reply 15
Original post by Mystery.
My friend got into Strathclyde for Chem Eng. with the same subjects but geography instead of French. Her grades were AABBB.

Ah I see, thanks a lot for that! :smile:

Any ideas of what sort of advanced highers she took and how she performed in them? Just wondering, I often like think about 6th year and what sort of subjects I'll need to take when I get to that stage, and it's not very long until I'll be choosing them!
Ah I see, thanks a lot for that! :smile:

Any ideas of what sort of advanced highers she took and how she performed in them? Just wondering, I often like think about 6th year and what sort of subjects I'll need to take when I get to that stage, and it's not very long until I'll be choosing them!

I'm in the same situation as you more or else too haha :biggrin:
Anyway, her offer was ABB but she missed by one grade I think so she called them and they let her in.
Her personal statement must have been really good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending