Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was so happy when I realised that I wanted to be a midwife. It seemed like the rewarding and interesting career that I had been looking for and could actually achieve! I know that most unis make their midwifery courses 50% practise and 50% theory which to me seemed like the best course structure. However I was really upset to find that students are asked to work during summer holidays and at Christmas ??!! Fair enough when you are qualified because you get paid (and there are no longer any such things as holidays) ... but students don't get paid? Can someone please explain this to me? I do really want to become a midwife, but Christmas is such an important time for me because it is the only time of the year where I get to see all of my family together. If I'm a student midwife do I have to put my course above my family? It doesn't seem right- especially if a student is living away from home to study.... please someone help me.. thank you so much!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of students don't. There's very little universities that have placements over Xmas. And even then, most places understands students don't get paid so will at least rota you off at Xmas.
    And what holidays exactly?
    This usually falls down to the specific uni and their placements available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So I'm going to ARU for Adult nursing and i get 2 weeks off at christmas, 2 at easter and 4 in summer. I've been told these are completly off (no placement) but i dont know if that changes when you go into 2nd/third year.

I understand it would be hard to work christmas etc but that's how it will be when you're registered so I'd just get used to the idea. You may not be getting paid but the nhs is paying your fees so you can be trained. Even student nurses will be needed around holidays. However I too love spending christmas with my family and it's going to suck not being with them but think of all the patients who will be alone in hospital. You may find it very rewarding to work it

Which universities have said you'll be working christmas?

ReputationRep:
    As the above posters have said, as a student it would be very unlikely that you would work over Christmas. We have two weeks off, two for Easter and three weeks in the summer (but we've also had longer hols). As for 'not being paid', in effect you are. My tuition fees for nursing would cost me 9k a year, but the NHS pay it for me. I see that money as being payment for working on placement.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by x.BlueEyedGirl.x)
    I was so happy when I realised that I wanted to be a midwife. It seemed like the rewarding and interesting career that I had been looking for and could actually achieve! I know that most unis make their midwifery courses 50% practise and 50% theory which to me seemed like the best course structure. However I was really upset to find that students are asked to work during summer holidays and at Christmas ??!! Fair enough when you are qualified because you get paid (and there are no longer any such things as holidays) ... but students don't get paid? Can someone please explain this to me? I do really want to become a midwife, but Christmas is such an important time for me because it is the only time of the year where I get to see all of my family together. If I'm a student midwife do I have to put my course above my family? It doesn't seem right- especially if a student is living away from home to study.... please someone help me.. thank you so much!!!!!
    For my first year of nursing, I have 3 weeks christmas, 2 weeks at easter then i think possibly 4/5 in the summer.
    After that I ve been told that I could have placement around Christmas in second year but will always get bank holidays off, I guess for me as an atheist I can miss Christmas and will see my family another time.
    I've spoken to all my friends, family and my partner also know that I m not going to be able to have as much time to do things for the next 3 years and they're completely understanding of that,maybe have a chat with them all before you apply see how they feel?.
    (For me I ve been 3 hours away from all my relatives and some friends for the past two years but leaving for my other uni course I knew what I was doing and for me uni most comes before family except in the case of one becoming ill or anything else serious)
    It's not wages but you get an nhs bursary and free tuition, like lilibet01 says is sort of like being paid for being in the course.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 24, 2015

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.