Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 3rd year undergraduate student from france and next year I'd like to move to the UK to do my MA and then work in the UK. I'd like to do TV journalism or make TV documentaries. I've looked at lots of unis and I think I'll apply to two unis in Glasgow and two in Manchester, but I've been looking at unis close to London as it's where the jobs in media are, and since I can't afford living in London, I thought maybe doing my MA in Brighton would be a good idea, since it's close to London, but not as expensive. I've looked at the university of sussex and found the MA in Journalism and Documentary Practice and even though it is not entirely focused on tv journalism, it still has some modules about it and it would be way more affordable than London. But I have no clue if it's a good university, or a good MA ??And how is life on campus ? From the pics I've seen it looks like it's in the middle of nowhere, is it far from brighton? Is there a lot to do on campus, and in Brighton ?thanks

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother with an MA, just go find a job in documentaries

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justag)
    Don't bother with an MA, just go find a job in documentaries

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd rather do a MA than looking for a job straight away because coming to a completely foreign country I'd rather be "eased into it" for a year to get to know my environment etc rather than moving to a new country and having to look for a job. And the only ewperience I have in journalism is a two month internship in a french newspaper so I have absolutely no clue how journalism is in th uk let alone documentaries lol 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiwi94)
    I'd rather do a MA than looking for a job straight away because coming to a completely foreign country I'd rather be "eased into it" for a year to get to know my environment etc rather than moving to a new country and having to look for a job. And the only ewperience I have in journalism is a two month internship in a french newspaper so I have absolutely no clue how journalism is in th uk let alone documentaries lol 😂
    If you want to waste thousands of pounds easing into things, then by all means. Life in the UK is not that different than in France.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I dont think getting an education is useless to me its very important, Im definitely doing a MA now I Just need to choose where :-)

ReputationRep:
    An MA sounds like a really good idea! I am biased as I'm about to start an MA myself (Creative Writing), but actually when it comes to journalism doing an MA is not only sensible but increasingly necessary. From what I understand of the field, it used to be that first jobs in journalism and related areas trained people on the job and so where happy to take people with little prior experience, but these days an MA in journalism is increasingly expected of entrants into the field. I have some friends who have taken or are studying for MA's in journalism, and excepting one person who had an extraordinary amount of work experience during her undergraduate degree, they've need the MA to get into decent starting jobs. So you're definitely making a good choice. Plus doing a masters gives you a chance to build up your work experience by getting involved in student journalism

Re. Brighton v Sussex - I didn't go to either, but I think that Sussex is a better university. If you look at the Guardian or Times Higher Education league tables it'll give you a better idea. Brighton is meant to be a lovely place to live, so either would be nice Generally, the further south and the nearer to London you are, the more expensive things are, so don't rule out going North - Sheffield has a very famous journalism course with a lot of successful alumni. It's not London, but it wouldn't be hard to get to Leeds, Liverpool or Manchester from that end of the country

Sorry I couldn't give more information on Brighton or Sussex! Bon chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corybantically)
    An MA sounds like a really good idea! I am biased as I'm about to start an MA myself (Creative Writing), but actually when it comes to journalism doing an MA is not only sensible but increasingly necessary. From what I understand of the field, it used to be that first jobs in journalism and related areas trained people on the job and so where happy to take people with little prior experience, but these days an MA in journalism is increasingly expected of entrants into the field. I have some friends who have taken or are studying for MA's in journalism, and excepting one person who had an extraordinary amount of work experience during her undergraduate degree, they've need the MA to get into decent starting jobs. So you're definitely making a good choice. Plus doing a masters gives you a chance to build up your work experience by getting involved in student journalism

Re. Brighton v Sussex - I didn't go to either, but I think that Sussex is a better university. If you look at the Guardian or Times Higher Education league tables it'll give you a better idea. Brighton is meant to be a lovely place to live, so either would be nice Generally, the further south and the nearer to London you are, the more expensive things are, so don't rule out going North - Sheffield has a very famous journalism course with a lot of successful alumni. It's not London, but it wouldn't be hard to get to Leeds, Liverpool or Manchester from that end of the country

Sorry I couldn't give more information on Brighton or Sussex! Bon chance
    thanks for your answer and
    yes in my case its even compulsory That I get a master I think because I have absolutely no journalism experience in English, so Just going to England and expecting a job in broadcast journalism when the only experience I have is is from writing for a french newspaper, that would be stupid lol. And concerning the South being pricier, the only thing worrying me was the rent and I ve found That the university of sussex accommodations had decent price so its good . In fact I'd rather go to Scotland or the north but im thinking of going to the uni of sussex simply because its closer to London and would allow me to find job more easily (i dont want to do just journalism, I d like to do tv show screenwriting and film making)

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your answer and
    yes in my case its even compulsory That I get a master I think because I have absolutely no journalism experience in English, so Just going to England and expecting a job in broadcast journalism when the only experience I have is is from writing for a french newspaper, that would be stupid lol. And concerning the South being pricier, the only thing worrying me was the rent and I ve found That the university of sussex accommodations had decent price so its good . In fact I'd rather go to Scotland or the north but im thinking of going to the uni of sussex simply because its closer to London and would allow me to find job more easily (i dont want to do just journalism, I d like to do tv show screenwriting and film making)
    The sussex course does sound good You could always look for a combined film and journalism MA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corybantically)
    The sussex course does sound good You could always look for a combined film and journalism MA?
    I've looked for something like that but I've only found either journalism MA or film MA.but if I end up going to Sussex I know that they have a film making club so that could be a good opportunity to do my MA in journalism but also get experience in film making with the club

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 3rd year undergraduate student from france and next year I'd like to move to the UK to do my MA and then work in the UK. I'd like to do TV journalism or make TV documentaries. I've looked at lots of unis and I think I'll apply to two unis in Glasgow and two in Manchester, but I've been looking at unis close to London as it's where the jobs in media are, and since I can't afford living in London, I thought maybe doing my MA in Brighton would be a good idea, since it's close to London, but not as expensive. I've looked at the university of sussex and found the MA in Journalism and Documentary Practice and even though it is not entirely focused on tv journalism, it still has some modules about it and it would be way more affordable than London. But I have no clue if it's a good university, or a good MA ??And how is life on campus ? From the pics I've seen it looks like it's in the middle of nowhere, is it far from brighton? Is there a lot to do on campus, and in Brighton ?thanks
    I don't know about the masters but the undergraduate course for Journalism with Brighton university is on their Hastings campus which is about an hour from Brighton, it's much smaller and less lively than brighton but still a seaside place and it does have a nice atmosphere, i visited at the weekend and they have amazing equipment there and lecturers. I would expect MA's would be done at the Hastings campus as it is their "media campus" for journalism, film, radio etc etc.

Sussex is overall a better university and their undergraduate course is run by BJTC (undergoing to be certified) as opposed to the NCTJ which is good because it means it is more geared up for tv/radio side of things. I would expect the MA would be in a similar place. Sussex Uni is also in Brighton (well, just) but only a 10 minute bus ride away, campus is much nicer looking. (Hastings in integrated within the city whereas Sussex has green lawns and cafe's etc) Sussex is better off in the university rankings and harder to get into.

Hope this was useful, I'm 23 and I've applied for undergrad courses in journalism/broadcast journalism at Brighton and Sussex but Sussex would be my first choice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 3, 2015

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.