Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think it's right/fair for charity collectors to hurl abuse at people? watch

I ask this because I was walking through town the other day with a friend of mine, and we happened to walk past a charity collector who was standing outside a shop and collecting donations for some charity or another. As we approached the guy, I could feel his eyes on me as he began to talk (presumably) about the charity he was collecting for. I instinctively made sure to not give him any eye contact of any kind, because that's obviously how they reel you in to the whole guilt trip that forces you to donate money (money which, unfortunately, I initially thought I needed for something else that day - otherwise I probably would have given him at least some small amount of money that I could afford to part with!).

The reason I've made this thread, though, is because the charity collector in question actually hurled abuse at me over the fact that I didn't make any sort of effort to give him any money. It was difficult to make out clearly, because this all happened pretty quickly as we were both walking along, but it was something along the lines of "Oh thanks a lot, you ****ing... [insert some other insult here]".

His outburst didn't affect me or anything (I think it says more about his personality than about mine, somehow), but it did make me wonder if this sort of behaviour is acceptable for charity collectors - in my opinion, it shouldn't be acceptable behaviour for any person, regardless of whether or not they're collecting money from people for a good cause.

What does everyone on here think?

ReputationRep:
    I'd find that annoying.

ReputationRep:
    This is very rare, When it does happen it is not ok

(Original post by LordPhylogeny)
    This is very rare, When it does happen it is not ok
    I think it's something that can quite easily happen, though.

ReputationRep:
    Those collectors outside shops could easily pocket the money, I don't give to them anyway unless it's to the charity itself directly

But yeah I've had "charitable people" do crap to me before. I was doing a charity thing and was bag packing in a local Tesco for my school. This really persistent woman (we seen her collecting at the door for a different charity) asked me 2-3 times if I would give some of the money I was collecting to her to go to some trip with some organisation to Africa for help them etc (even though I was raising money for a school in Africa). After I kept telling her no she went and grabbed a pasta sauce jar and threw it at me while swearing in front of the whole shop (didn't hit me or anything 😂). Seen her a couple days later and she gave me a dirty look 😂.

Maybe she had a mental illness or something, but it was defiantly over the top.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Collecting money for charity doesn't give you license to be a ****.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It's never right to hurl abuse at anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Tin shakers are largely a thing of the past apart from downright fraudster collecting cash 'for sick kids' what you're more likely to see in town and city centres these days are teams of chuggers who are employed by a third party company on commission for getting you signed up to a direct debit.

chuggers normally wear id badges and brightly coloured vests with the charity name on them, they usually appear in small groups.

They're supposed to have permission from the local authority for street chugging or legit tin-shaking so if you want to complain and you don't know what charity they were representing your local authority would afaik be the place to go.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to regard these employed 'collection agents', (and over-enthusiastic volunteers) as beggars rather than charity collectors. I don't think anyone has the right to hurl abuse at someone, whether they're working for a good cause or not, but I almost expect it from beggars sometimes, so it doesn't come as a surprise if a 'charity collector' mutters something if I ignore them or otherwise reject their advances. You often can't win; ignore them or politely refuse and the response is the same. My favourite was being called a '****ing scientist ******' by a ball of dirt and hair representing Greenpeace, because I took the time to explain why I didn't support them.

I've never received any abuse from anyone who seemed to be a genuine, non-harassing volunteer collector.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it doesn't matter what you're doing, abusing a stranger across the street is never justified, I can imagine the guy to be one of these types who would later argue 'But I'm doing charity work' as if just because you're doing charity work that automatically makes you a good person and cancels out anything else you do.

Of course helping out charities is a good thing, but a ****'s a ****, regardless of whether they do charity work or not. I imagine this sort of thing is very rare, but it's still evidence that charities could perhaps do with a reality check in regards to the methods they use to raise money, I just think back to that old lady who killed herself supposedly because of the endless harrassment she was getting from charities. I don't think I agree with guilt tripping people really, yes they need to raise money somehow, but people should donate because they want to, not because someone guilt tripped them into doing so, imo.

ReputationRep:
    I've never actually had any abuse from charity collectors but I keep getting stopped by people trying to get me to sign up for direct debits & some of them are really persistent. I know they've probably got set targets to meet but I just find it annoying. This type of collecting is more likely to put people off supporting the charity than getting them to donate

ReputationRep:
    they're fools i detest them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lustawny)
    What does everyone on here think?
    It's not right of them to hurl abuse at people because it may decrease the likelihood that people will actually give to charity in the first place, which is a negative consequence.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand to the extent that I know if you don't meet your designated target of say 5 direct debits every week your out the door and replaced very fast so I can see why some might be a bit on the edge.

This doesn't excuse taking it out on random members of the public however, they should take it up with their boss if they are unhappy with the way things are or just accept that is the job they are doing and just keep looking for something else in their spare time which will make them happy.

ReputationRep:
    to be fair, compared to homeless people, charity collectors are bums
    at least homeless people will kiss your ****ing ass and praise god if you throw 'em a penny - most of the time at least - some of them resent it because "they're not actually homeless" - but yeah ****ing right, why else would they be sat on the street stinking of piss (I mean, he was 90, and old people sometimes do reek of piss but you know what I mean)
    I think, especially in my town, if I went around and offered my fish and chips to the homeless women for sex, about half of them would accept it and the other half would bear it in mind

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it's not right. For anyone, not just chuggers. But chuggers like that are probably the type paid on commission and they don't really care about the charity they're collecting for else they'd realise that ****ging people off in the name of a charity is only going to harden that person against that charity rather than possibly fill them with guilt so next time the charity is encountered, they do give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lustawny)
    You should have taken a picture of person and sent a complaint to the charity.

I personally am very careful with such charity collectors.

In most cases they require a permit from the local council to be able to collect money, if they can't produce the permit they are collecting illegally and the money can be confiscated by the police. There are some who ask shops if they can collect, however for it to be legal they must do it within the shops property, the moment they are on the public pavement its illegal.

The second point is to find out as much as possibly about the said charity they are collecting for, it could be fake or if it isn't then check how much of your donation actually goes to the cause rather than elsewhere such as administration costs. If such information is not available on the charity's websites I would stay clear. I only trust charities which run a 100% donation policy and a few others who are clear about their finances and a low % administration cost.

The third point is that charity collectors are divided into two groups.......the volunteers who collect without being paid or with travel expenses and the other group which gets paid commission doing it. I prefer the first group personally, especially in terms of interaction as they are so much nicer especially since they are doing what they are doing because of the cause and want to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    You should have taken a picture of person and sent a complaint to the charity.

I personally am very careful with such charity collectors.

In most cases they require a permit from the local council to be able to collect money, if they can't produce the permit they are collecting illegally and the money can be confiscated by the police. There are some who ask shops if they can collect, however for it to be legal they must do it within the shops property, the moment they are on the public pavement its illegal.

The second point is to find out as much as possibly about the said charity they are collecting for, it could be fake or if it isn't then check how much of your donation actually goes to the cause rather than elsewhere such as administration costs. If such information is not available on the charity's websites I would stay clear. I only trust charities which run a 100% donation policy and a few others who are clear about their finances and a low % administration cost.

The third point is that charity collectors are divided into two groups.......the volunteers who collect without being paid or with travel expenses and the other group which gets paid commission doing it. I prefer the first group personally, especially in terms of interaction as they are so much nicer especially since they are doing what they are doing because of the cause and want to help.
    I'm exactly the same when it comes to charity donations, I've been in situations where they didn't hurl abuse or anything but they shouted "STOP!" at me when I was trying to carry on walking and tried to block my path. Not really the type of interaction that whatever charity they were representing would approve of.

ReputationRep:
    Many of them are on commission, and their organization takes quite a large cut of the donation away from the charity. I once met one who tried to convince me that the only way to donate to St Johns Ambulance was to setup a direct debit with him at the front door claiming "we only fundraise on certain days of the year, so you have to do it through me or the charity gets nothing". This was of course a lie, you can just donate online. I complained to St Johns about him, but they never bothered to respond. They are allowed to wear the charity's logo while working for scummy companies such as Wesser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugs31)
    I'm exactly the same when it comes to charity donations, I've been in situations where they didn't hurl abuse or anything but they shouted "STOP!" at me when I was trying to carry on walking and tried to block my path. Not really the type of interaction that whatever charity they were representing would approve of.
    Be aware that should they have permits and they aren't allowed to do such things...

j) Collectors MUST to avoid causing obstruction, congestion and nuisance to the public.

m) Collectors MUST NOT pressurise the public to give their support, but they can use reasonable persuasion.

o) Collectors MUST be able to give the public information on how to make a complaint.

p) Collectors MUST, when asked to do so, terminate their approach in a polite manner.

q) Collectors MUST be courteous at all times.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2015
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.