Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just got done with my O level Cambridge GCEs. I've been trying to finalise my A level subjects for the whole summer but i can't seem to. So i really need some advice. I'm interested in doing Law or Psychology related fields. The subjects I have as options in A levels are Psychology, Law, Media Studies, Sociology, Eng Lit. So the problem I have is that I don't know just how recommended taking Sciences are in A levels if I want to study Psychology further. I've had sciences in O levels and I've realised they don't interest me at all. Socio and Psy also clash so I might not be able to take both of them. I've looked at the Media Studies course and its a new subject so I dont know anyone whos taken it before so I dont know what type of a subject it is at all, the syllabus looked like it involved a lot of coursework and presentations. I also plan on giving all my exams together in A2, instead of AS level separately. So I don't want to take anything that will be a big burden.

If anyone could give me briefing on the subjects materials it would help. Btw guys I know most people would consider these subjects soft, but i don't plan on applying abroad so as far as i have heard from teachers i dont need traditional subjects.

ReputationRep:
    you should look on university websites and see what subjects they prefer when applying for psychology, I remember seeing that for most they liked sciences but I don't think it's necessary to have them. if there's any science you plan on taking then i recommend biology it's goes pretty well with psych. as for media studies, it's not a respected subject so it's probably not best to take it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rk1998rwp)
    I just got done with my O level Cambridge GCEs. I've been trying to finalise my A level subjects for the whole summer but i can't seem to. So i really need some advice. I'm interested in doing Law or Psychology related fields. The subjects I have as options in A levels are Psychology, Law, Media Studies, Sociology, Eng Lit. So the problem I have is that I don't know just how recommended taking Sciences are in A levels if I want to study Psychology further. I've had sciences in O levels and I've realised they don't interest me at all. Socio and Psy also clash so I might not be able to take both of them. I've looked at the Media Studies course and its a new subject so I dont know anyone whos taken it before so I dont know what type of a subject it is at all, the syllabus looked like it involved a lot of coursework and presentations. I also plan on giving all my exams together in A2, instead of AS level separately. So I don't want to take anything that will be a big burden.

If anyone could give me briefing on the subjects materials it would help. Btw guys I know most people would consider these subjects soft, but i don't plan on applying abroad so as far as i have heard from teachers i dont need traditional subjects.
    For psychology at the very best universities, you'll need some sciences usually to be competitive. And that's the 3 sciences and maths, not applied science etc. Its for a reason, psychology is related to the sciences. There is a neurological foundation to the way we think etc. . At degree level I imagine there will be maths, in terms of statistics, and if you don't enjoy sciences you may not enjoy a Psychology degree.So yeah, they're important. Other institutions are more lenient, but would still want to see very respected Languages or humanity subjects, like History, English Literature and Geography.

I don't think doing your A Level exams all at once is a best idea. If you have the choice to do them separately, half in year 1 half in year 2 then do it. A levels are hard. You don't want to make mistakes which could affect the quality of university you end up in.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say ' applying abroad'. But for UK universities traditional subjects are appreciated, and I'd strongly recommend you consider them, especially for courses as competetive as Law.

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Hey sorry i didnt clarify. I don't live in UK, i'm in South Asia. Geography isnt offered here at AS level, there's World History. Its not that i dislike maths or sciences, its just that they arent my strong suits. I know i wont be able to acheive high grades in them if i take them up in A levels. Also yes i might reconsider giving all the exams together, but i can only decide that once i have my final subjects figured out.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.