Turn on thread page Beta

Why is university accommodation generally cheap looking and ugly? watch

ReputationRep:
    Surely having good quality would make the furniture and things last longer since there would be lots of students living in that same room? It doesn't feel homely at all - and I know, some people love the idea of being away and don't want to be reminded of home but why can't accommodation at least look like a reasonable hotel room or something?

Is it because they'd have to raise accommodation fees (which people think is already expensive as it is)? If people do think it's already expensive enough, then we're not getting good quality for the price.. really.

Any thoughts?

I mean come on.. look at the walls http://dundee-apartments.co.uk/files...e3ca0_f297.jpg

ReputationRep:
    A lot of universities and polytechnics were built or heavily renovated in the 1960s, a decade which was as bad for architecture as it was for US-Soviet relations. Universities are also charities, so they don't have that much money lying about to renovate stuff.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thejcr.co.uk/images/rooms...250&height=250

Say what? 💁🏻

ReputationRep:
    Because students are going to ruin everything by drinking too much and vomiting on the floor or by snapping their desk chair in half by sticking it to the ceiling like in The Inbetweeners 2 film. As a result, you're left with cheap industrial carpets and £7 swivel chairs from IKEA.

ReputationRep:
    That looks terrible.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like my Grandad's retirement home

ReputationRep:
    Meanwhile, in the Dignitas "departures lounge".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    A lot of universities and polytechnics were built or heavily renovated in the 1960s, a decade which was as bad for architecture as it was for US-Soviet relations. Universities are also charities, so they don't have that much money lying about to renovate stuff.
    What about the newer accommodation that some universities are building? I mean if you're going to renovate in the first place, do it properly right?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but as one user pointed out above students are idiots (including me) and are inevitably going to break stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    Surely having good quality would make the furniture and things last longer since there would be lots of students living in that same room? It doesn't feel homely at all - and I know, some people love the idea of being away and don't want to be reminded of home but why can't accommodation at least look like a reasonable hotel room or something?

Is it because they'd have to raise accommodation fees (which people think is already expensive as it is)? If people do think it's already expensive enough, then we're not getting good quality for the price.. really.

Any thoughts?

I mean come on.. look at the walls http://dundee-apartments.co.uk/files...e3ca0_f297.jpg
    If the walls didn't look like a jail cell that would actually be alright. As good as it's going to get on a lower-end student loan budget really.

(I'd love to live somewhere like Collegiate AC but it would literally cost twice as much)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Yeah, but as one user pointed out above students are idiots (including me) and are inevitably going to break stuff.
    Because it's of cheap quality.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's of cheap quality.
    But then you can charge said retards 1.5x the cost of the item and make some small measure of profit on the side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    But then you can charge said retards 1.5x the cost of the item and make some small measure of profit on the side.
    Well it's not fair on the ones who take care of the furniture now is it?

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not fair on the ones who take care of the furniture now is it?
    Well, no, but this is capitalism. You're only important insofar as someone can make money off of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Well, no, but this is capitalism. You're only important insofar as someone can make money off of you.
    I don't think the main aim is to provide ****ty furniture only to have students break it so that the university can gain. Whatever it is probably wouldn't have broken in the first place if it was of a decent quality.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the main aim is to provide ****ty furniture only to have students break it so that the university can gain. Whatever it is probably wouldn't have broken in the first place if it was of a decent quality.
    That probably isn't the reason for the furniture, more likely it's low upfront cost. But it would be the reason if I were in charge of university accommodations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    That probably isn't the reason for the furniture, more likely it's low upfront cost. But it would be the reason if I were in charge of university accommodations.
    Hahaha, understandable. I just think we're being ripped off so badly for what we pay for and the disgusting quality we receive.

ReputationRep:
    They could put expensive stuff in accommodation rooms since if you break anything you pay, for breaking carpets in medway you pay over 400 pounds.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, while looking for unis I would often have to reject some based on the "cheapest" (shared bathroom) being like, £5000 and they would look like the creepy basement in horror films (SLIGHT exaggeration )But I did find quite a few nice ones, I think Edge Hill's is one my favourite: https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/undergrad...-carousel-2316 (about £112/week)Also, I think I would be fine with most rooms if it wasn't for the walls making it look like a prison....I just got my accommodation offer from Uni of East Anglia for this September and it looks pretty decent tbh but I'll be paying around £5100 for my en-suite room :eek::nooo::shock::zomg:Guess I'll have to sell a few organs...

ReputationRep:
    Iooks like the places old people go to die

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.