Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Should I apply for funding first or a place first?
    When in the year should I apply for both?
    What's the academic jump like between a bsc and a PhD? Would it be overwhelming? Should I consider doing a msc then a PhD even if it's all at the same university I will be finishing my undergrad then going onto a post grad?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    You should typically start looking when you start your third year. Application deadlines can be any time from November to August. You typically apply for funded places or can look for a potential supervisor and then apply for funding together but this may be field specific. The jump from undergrad to PhD can be pretty big because you go from begin taught to very much leading your own teaching and research so a masters helps but it depends on what sort of person you are and what you've enjoyed or not as an undergrad. It's usually a good idea to move unis between undergrad and PhD.

    When I was looking I found PhD positions came out all throughout the year, but there were three particular times when a lot appeared: Near the start of the academic year, in January, and in early summer.

    I second the above poster that you should start looking in your final year of university and you should continue to look throughout the year. Apply whenever you see a position you like.

    Science PhDs are usually funded, but be sure to check when you go for your interview. Getting funding otherwise can be challenging.

University open days

  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.