Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm headed to Oxford for the fall and I'm wondering what the atmosphere is like in the city. I've heard that the locals just despise Oxford students because they tend to act prideful/rude??
    I'm curious if this is true and how intrusive/present tourists tend to be when you're running errands in the city centre and studying in the buildings.
    Also, do students from Oxford and Oxford Brookes tend to coexist in peace? What kind of dynamic do they have, and do they run into each other a lot?

Thanks for your time!

ReputationRep:
    Locals: unlikely to see all that many considering few will considering coming into central Oxford for anything - and most students are either centrally based or live in areas of Cowley/Iffley/Summertown that have many other students about. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't keen on us whether we were rude or not - the university is quite an imposing and powerful organisation within the city and students do appear to take the stance of knowing the city more than its lifelong inhabitants. However there is a friendly rivalry in the form of Town vs Gown sports events and there are no longer uprisings against the students loool.

Tourists: within the city centre they get in the way constantly. You get used to it really quickly and learn how to divert through crowds of people on walking tours or whatever. They shouldn't interfere with studying as they can't enter most typical study areas. However, depending on where you go (*cough christ church cough*) they may swarm your college. Also, when you're dressed up for matriculation/exams/graduation they're very likely to be taking photos.

Brookes: this is located up towards/in Headington so you won't necessarily see many Brookes students. I've only ever interacted with them during a volunteering scheme which took Oxford + Brookes students, and when going to Brookes' club nights. If you're sporty then you may also be inclined to crew date them.

ReputationRep:
    Tourists... :banghead: :battle: :devil3: :eek3:

One guy had a go at me in Korean for getting in the way of his photo when I was on a break from revision and standing outside the door on my phone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therivkadiaries)
    Hey guys, I'm headed to Oxford for the fall and I'm wondering what the atmosphere is like in the city. I've heard that the locals just despise Oxford students because they tend to act prideful/rude??
    I'm curious if this is true and how intrusive/present tourists tend to be when you're running errands in the city centre and studying in the buildings.
    Also, do students from Oxford and Oxford Brookes tend to coexist in peace? What kind of dynamic do they have, and do they run into each other a lot?

Thanks for your time!
    Don't worry at all about the town/gown hostility, unless you like drinking in certain bars late at night and enjoy punch-ups (fist-fights in US English), you won't encounter much evidence of this on the ground.

Tourists are one of those ever-present things you get used to in Ox, they are just part of the scenery and you would even kind of miss them if they suddenly all vanished one day. :teehee: You have to weave around them a fair bit on the streets, helped by the fact they mostly stand in packs photographing each other (watch out for selfie-takers standing in the roads when you are cycling and tourists just walking straight into you because they come from places where cycling is not a known thing) but you soon get used to it. Also you will have the pleasure of strolling into your college and getting away from them, past their awestruck faces as they gaze upon a genuine 'Oxford student'. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Lol kewl thx for the great answers you guys!

ReputationRep:
    Tourists are easily identified by their Oxford University sweat shirts.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.