Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone

I am SO confused with what to do next after my BA Hons Early Childhood Studies Degree. I love the Early Years and preferably want to stay in this age range, but would love to go into teaching eventually. I am currently a deputy manager of a pre-school.

Please can someone first explain the difference between PGCE and QTS? Does the PGCE result in QTS? Or are they two completely different routes? I am getting mixed answers from Google!

I have been looking into doing the PGCE Early Years (3-7 Years), and I am really interested in doing this course.

I have also looked into doing EYTS, but I know this limits me to just 0-5, and I have been told that many schools do not recognise EYTS.

I ideally want to teach Reception to start with, but in later years I may want to spread my wings and open my options, and therefore be able to teach all of infant school aged children. So would the PGCE Early Years 3-7 Years be the right route for me?

I'd love to hear your opinions and recommendations.

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    I was in this position! I'd personally recommend going for the pgce as you can still teach in Nurseries with that and schools definitely recognise it! Plus you can teach all the primary year ranges with it not just limited to 3-7. Keeps your options open I guess.
    Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree, the PGCE Early Years route definitely sounds like your best option. I have EYTS and would love to teach Reception - but schools just won't accept it so I'm about to start my PGCE in Primary Education (5-11).

The PGCE is the academic qualification (like your BA Hons) and QTS is Qualified Teacher Status - the status that allows you to teach in schools so yes, PGCEs lead to QTS, they aren't different routes. There are several ways to achieve QTS though, you could do a university based PGCE, school-based training (Schools Direct) or a SCITT, so make sure you pick the one you think will be best for you

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the other posters, a Primary Early Years PGCE sounds like it would be best for you.
    The QTS you get at the end is so important and recognised everywhere regardless, which means if you change your mind and want to branch out into upper primary, you'll be able to

ReputationRep:
    Yes, QTS can be achieved via many different routes (and it's gaining QTS that's important) - it's just that the PGCE is the most common way of achieving it. As others have said, QTS will enable you to teach primary as well in case you ever change your mind about working with only ages 0-5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chlolouxo)
    Hi Everyone

I am SO confused with what to do next after my BA Hons Early Childhood Studies Degree. I love the Early Years and preferably want to stay in this age range, but would love to go into teaching eventually. I am currently a deputy manager of a pre-school.

Please can someone first explain the difference between PGCE and QTS? Does the PGCE result in QTS? Or are they two completely different routes? I am getting mixed answers from Google!

I have been looking into doing the PGCE Early Years (3-7 Years), and I am really interested in doing this course.

I have also looked into doing EYTS, but I know this limits me to just 0-5, and I have been told that many schools do not recognise EYTS.

I ideally want to teach Reception to start with, but in later years I may want to spread my wings and open my options, and therefore be able to teach all of infant school aged children. So would the PGCE Early Years 3-7 Years be the right route for me?

Thank you in advance
    QTS - > What you need to teach kids aged 3 and above
    PGCE -> A way to get QTS

EYTS covers a narrower age range.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chlolouxo)
    Hi Everyone

Thank you in advance
    Hope you did not go for EYTS- I did as it offered PGCE,which,without QTS is not worth the paper it is written on. No one wants to employ an EYT and it is an insult being a graduate on minimum wage. Have a SCITT interview next week,as do most of the poor sods on my course suckered into this con.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.